What is your most favorite run or event ever?

• November 8, 2011 9:56 AM PST

I was thinking about all the runs I have been to over the last 40 years and all the good times, and bad, I had by being there. I still think some of the best biker parties I have been to were in the Ozarks. The best is almost a toss up between Pawhuska Oklahoma spring run and Perry Lake anual run in Kansas City Kansas. At Perry Lake it is private property and no cops. Almost ANYTHING goes, as long as everyone is having a good time. What is the place you will always say was the best bike run ever?

• 5420 posts
    November 8, 2011 10:30 AM PST
    That's easy... The Redwood Run!!!  Not only is it just a great ol' school biker party, but we have been going there for so many years now it is also a reunion of friends.  Plus for the past couple of years we have had a great time having a CycleFish Meet & Greet party at the Redwood Run and getting to meet so many people we only knew from online.

Wait until you see what we have in store for this year's CycleFish party at the Redwood Run

A close second would be Sturgis, not so much the rally itself (hell this year we never even went to town).  But the ride up there and riding around the Black Hills is just great.  And like the Redwood Run we had a CycleFish Meet & Greet party there and got to meet some CF members I would have never gotten to meet!  So my second favorite rally is actually the CycleFish CAMP at the Sturgis Rally!
    • 3006 posts
    November 8, 2011 12:39 PM PST
    Hollister CA rally,have some really good memories of it,tho I dont think they are holding it anymore.Was hoping to ht Sturgis just once,its on my bucket list,along with Daytona.
  • November 8, 2011 10:15 PM PST
    The Redwood Run is a lot of fun and the rides thru the giant redwoods are great. Laughlin river run, not so much for the run but all the good fun we have with friends at Davis camp in Az, also feeding the wild donkeys in Oatman Az is great. Ride the mountain in Bigbear Lake is a fun rally too. Riding thru the San Bernardino mtns and around Big Bear lake and Lake Arrowhead are great rides with or without the bands and all the folks having fun. California's Abate rally in Kernville is another great run and riding the old 395 thru the high desert is very scenic and fun too. Sturgis back in my twenties when I was young Dumb and full of ..... was probably the best of all though, but not the corporate Sturgis of today!
  • November 9, 2011 12:05 AM PST
    Glad to see other people have my same view on the Redwood Run! I have been going for years and it is one of the only true bikers runs, even though I must admit that there are starting to get more yuppies there.
    • 1855 posts
    November 9, 2011 12:31 AM PST
    Mmmmmmm, I've never really had a favorite event run or rally. I've been to Sturgis at least 15 times but not for the rally so much as for the ride itself and to just get away. Actually, I haven't stayed anywhere near Sturgis the last 1/2 dozen times but I've stayed in some great and not so crowded places south and west of Sturgis. I like the Black Hills but really, they have nothing over riding Virginia, W. Virginia, or N. Carolina. Now, Laconia is a super place to head out to. New Hampshire and Vermont riding is totally amazing.

I truly don't do rallies so much anymore. I've become a crotchitty old bas&*rd I guess. I'm not happy in a crowd; just as soon stay on my ride.

Peace
    • 1364 posts
    November 9, 2011 2:09 AM PST
    RWR..............
    • 16831 posts
    November 9, 2011 2:12 AM PST
    Sturgis 2006.
    The ride out there and back to Pennsylvania was great, the place we stayed was great, we had a wonderful time.
    It only rained once and we were under food tent.
    This was our best Sturgis trip. :-)
  • November 9, 2011 3:10 AM PST
    wheels wrote about 5 hours ago,
    Az, also feeding the wild donkeys in Oatman Az is great.

Yes but you kinda need to watch those donkeys cus I saw one chewing on a bike seat, just two down the row from mine. He was run off before he could do any real damage.
    • 1516 posts
    November 9, 2011 3:20 AM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    That's easy... The Redwood Run!!!  Not only is it just a great ol' school biker party, but we have been going there for so many years now it is also a reunion of friends.  Plus for the past couple of years we have had a great time having a CycleFish Meet & Greet party at the Redwood Run and getting to meet so many people we only knew from online.

Wait until you see what we have in store for this year's CycleFish party at the Redwood Run

A close second would be Sturgis, not so much the rally itself (hell this year we never even went to town).  But the ride up there and riding around the Black Hills is just great.  And like the Redwood Run we had a CycleFish Meet & Greet party there and got to meet some CF members I would have never gotten to meet!  So my second favorite rally is actually the CycleFish CAMP at the Sturgis Rally!

Yeah what Lucky said!!

• 467 posts
    November 9, 2011 3:25 AM PST
    While I love the Sturgis Rally and have been going for 20+ years, I don't consider that a "run". My favorite run is and always will be our local ABATE chapters' Annual Memorial/Membership Run. It is the one run every year that I never miss. It is only overnight (however, I usually make it a 3 nighter). The people, the food, the music, the scenery on both the ride and the campsite are breathtakingly beautiful! It is 400 miles and that kinda wears on my arm, but the hot mineral springs at the campsite are just what the doctor ordered! I have never won the poker run or the bug bash, but I have come home with quite a few cool door prizes as well as a bunch of new friends every year. And that is what it is all about!
    • 16831 posts
    November 9, 2011 4:16 PM PST
    cnciaco wrote...
    While I love the Sturgis Rally and have been going for 20+ years, I don't consider that a "run".

Close to 1300 miles of a ride to get out there, yes a "run" indeed.
    • 846 posts
    November 10, 2011 4:44 AM PST
    Being on the east coast we have Lacoina but it so close to home that the rides are not that special for me. Plus it been toned downed and commercialized. Would like to and may now be a bucket list to hit Redwood. Sturgis is on the planning board so we’ll see.

I have run into a little weekend run out here (state line don’t mean much here in the east as they do out west) in Vermont called “The back to the Basics”. Held on private land up on a hill with three fields to camp in and everyone is pretty much left to do their own thing. Bands play most of the day and into the night it’s a BYOB thing. Some organized activates like bike games and poker runs but it all at a different pace. They have a hell of a bond fire on Friday and Saturday night (think trees). Liked it some much I’m adding another day to next year’s just to kick around while up there.
    • 277 posts
    November 10, 2011 5:04 AM PST
    R E D W O O D !!!

• 16831 posts
    November 10, 2011 8:39 AM PST
    Chaz wrote...
    (state line don’t mean much here in the east as they do out west)

You got that right.
  • November 12, 2011 3:41 AM PST
    Well the Redwood run is one that I have not been to, and from what Im seeing here I am going to make that a priority when I come to the states to visit. Can anybody say what are the exact dates for the run? I will try to be there next time and see you all there.
    • 277 posts
    November 12, 2011 3:47 AM PST
    We would LOVE to see you at the Redwood Run

Always the second weekend in June.  Next one in June 8-1, 2012

Redwood Run Event Listing
    • 467 posts
    November 12, 2011 5:03 AM PST
    RevBigJohn wrote...

Well, you got met there Rev! It is a ride for you! For me on the other hand--it is only 60 miles!
    • 5420 posts
    November 12, 2011 5:50 AM PST
    cnciaco wrote...
    RevBigJohn wrote...

Well, you got met there Rev! It is a ride for you! For me on the other hand--it is only 60 miles!

It's about 1500 the way I go, but the ride is one of the best parts!

• 1516 posts
    November 12, 2011 7:05 AM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    cnciaco wrote...
    RevBigJohn wrote...

The way you went last year was over 125 degrees, what does that make it???????

• 467 posts
    November 12, 2011 9:12 AM PST
    A trip through Hell???????
  • November 12, 2011 11:19 AM PST
     HDBeech wrote about 7 hours ago
    We would LOVE to see you at the Redwood Run

Always the second weekend in June.  Next one in June 8-1, 2012

Perfect, that’s my birthday and I was hoping to be there in June. I will need to fly in to the states to Springfield Mo. and then ride to California on the slow road because I will be on the rigid frame. I'm in.  

• 16831 posts
    November 13, 2011 5:51 AM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    cnciaco wrote...
    RevBigJohn wrote...

Indeed it's the ride.
    Going a short distance from my home I jump on I-90, at every gas stop or rest area ya meet a whole different group of folks.
    This last trip (2006) folks were all asking about the sidecar rig.

• November 14, 2011 1:33 AM PST
    My last 200+ mile run, by my lonesome, running the back roads from here to there and back.
  • December 12, 2011 12:21 AM PST
    Being Native American, I have a fond love of the TOT Ride across Alabama, to be able to ride for those that walked is truely a soul warming experience. I know in the past couple of years there has been a fight between two groups about this ride, but it isn't about them it is about the people before us and it time to let it rest and all get along, and ride this ride for the proper reason. Sorry didn't mean to rant just my 2 cents worth.