Motorcycle Windshield Renewing

• 5420 posts
    October 22, 2011 9:28 AM PDT
    The winshield on my Road King was looking pretty bad... little dings, swirls from cleaning, etc.  I looked into a new windsheld and decided there are a lot of other things I want for that much money.

A friend recommended to use the Harley Swirl & Scratch Remover they sell to get the swirls out of the painted parts of the bike.  I figured what the heck, I'll give it a shot.  WOW, my windshield looks brand new... no exageration!

Then I went out and used it on the plastic lens covers on my truck headlights which were kind of fogged and old looking... again, they look like new.

• October 22, 2011 10:26 AM PDT
    Thanks Lucky for sharing,I will def.try that as mine is starting to look very clared up and lots of scratches
    • 567 posts
    October 22, 2011 12:09 PM PDT
    I wonder if those "lens restoration kits" that they sell at the automotive parts stores would do much the same job.
  • October 22, 2011 1:31 PM PDT
    Thanks. My 99 is in sad shape as well. I also will not cut off my arm for a new shield. HD dealerships at all corners up here. I'll stop by and give it a crack.

jb
    • 5420 posts
    October 22, 2011 4:49 PM PDT
    SolarBill wrote...
    I wonder if those "lens restoration kits" that they sell at the automotive parts stores would do much the same job.

I imagine its probably about the same stuff... some type of ultra fine polishing compound.

• 467 posts
    October 23, 2011 3:31 AM PDT
    Pledge dusting spray will do about the same thing. We used to use it on all of our lexan display cases to fill in all those tiny scratches and it worked wonders for clearing it up.
  • October 23, 2011 4:09 AM PDT
    www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/windowPolish.php />
    I've also heard this stuff works well but I've not tried it myself. 

jb
    • 1 posts
    July 31, 2012 5:38 AM PDT
    Good info... thanks
  • July 31, 2012 6:18 AM PDT
    I shall look it up over here.....is it actually called Harley Swirl & Scratch Remover?
    • 5420 posts
    July 31, 2012 6:28 AM PDT
    This is it...  Scratch & Swirl Repair
  • July 31, 2012 6:30 AM PDT
    Thanks, will check it out...

Yup, Looks good.....and a good price too, I shall give them a ring and see if they will ship it here if I cant find it locally...
  • July 31, 2012 12:32 PM PDT
    DITTO on the pledge spray, I use it before putting the bike away when it is crusted with bugs.The pledge softens the hard bug guts so they don't scratch the windshield.
    • 834 posts
    August 12, 2012 12:53 PM PDT
    Going to have to try this!
    • 1 posts
    August 31, 2012 4:09 AM PDT
    Hey Lucky. Tried it out and it works great. I always clean up the bikes I work on for my customers and lately I have been doing this on the windshields and the customers are impressed.
    • 3006 posts
    August 31, 2012 4:27 AM PDT

I have some deep scratching on my memphis shades clip on w/shield.Was thinking of trashing it.

I'll try about anything to clear the scratches off.

Whats a comparable auto product if any I wonder?
    • 5420 posts
    August 31, 2012 4:37 AM PDT
    I've seen Scratch & Swirl Remover in auto parts stores near the waxes and stuff. Be sure to use the one that comes in the bottle and not the paste, that may be a little to abrasive.
  • August 31, 2012 5:25 AM PDT
    Nice! Will try this out. Do you have before and after pics?
    • 544 posts
    August 31, 2012 6:40 AM PDT
    Thanks Lucky! I need to get some of that for my sons car and keep it for my bike too.
  • August 31, 2012 11:05 AM PDT
    I dont recomend Pledge ,I was told this , and it screwed my windshield up so much that at nite cant see crap thru it, have to look over it.
  • August 31, 2012 2:46 PM PDT
    Thanks Lucky. My little shield on the FZ has the swirls, etc. I'll get some of that before buying a new shield.
    • 19046 posts
    August 31, 2012 11:16 PM PDT
    As I remember most good quality shields have a UV blocking coating that is very thin. Polishing will slowly remove this coating and allow the lexan to discolor and craze even quicker. So once you start polishing you have to do it more often. You can polish out some minor problems but it is a short term solution. I recommend replacing it, as I just did for Rex. If your shield is new, do not clean it with anything abrasive, even mildly abrasive. A good clear glass cleaner and clean cotton cloths only.
    • 5420 posts
    September 1, 2012 4:14 AM PDT
    Great point Mike. I did this only as a last resort to my old windshield as an option to tossing it. didn't even think about the UV coating at that time.

I just did a quick check on an old windshield in the garage using some MEK to ruin the coating.  It appears that the windshield (at least a stock Road King windshield) has a coating on the back side only.  So if you are going to try this ONLY do it on the front (outside).  But I would still be careful as all windshields may not be the same!
  • September 1, 2012 6:26 AM PDT
    Do you have to use a buffer or any mechanical tools ?
  • January 6, 2013 2:54 PM PST
    Good tip again. Saved me from buying another windshield!!