Touring Route 66

• 28 posts
    November 28, 2009 3:55 AM PST
    My husband and I are starting to plan our 2 wk Spring ride for next year on Rte-66 and am so looking forward to it.  We are coming from Cntrl-Cali and have not decided yet if this will be a one way or round trip ride. As there are so many places to see along the route, we are looking for input on must see destinations from other riders,  what to look for and watch out for with "bike shipping".    Got any input?
    • 5419 posts
    November 28, 2009 4:25 AM PST
    Hi selena,

I'm not sure if you guys are H.O.G. members, but if you are HOG has a Motorcycle Shipping program through Federal Motorcycle Transport. Go to the HOG website (http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/HOG/hog_selector.jsp) , log in, click Plan your Trip from the top menu, then click Motorcycle Shipping.
    • 1516 posts
    November 28, 2009 6:25 AM PST
    Sounds like fun Selina.. I love a good road trip. I didn't realize you were from central caly. I am close to Modesto, are you up this way too?
  • g
    November 28, 2009 6:32 AM PST
    wid love to do this ,i might be going to the nw200 next year??
  • g
    November 28, 2009 6:33 AM PST
    or the tt's .
    • 28 posts
    November 29, 2009 3:53 AM PST
    "HOG has a Motorcycle Shipping program" - thanks Lucky for the input. We are HOG members and are looking into using them. However, do not know anyone who has to hear of their experience.

Debra Jo - we are actually located in Lathrop (blocks from Eagles Nest on I-5), just outside of Manteca.
    • 5419 posts
    November 29, 2009 4:17 AM PST
    selina wrote...
    "HOG has a Motorcycle Shipping program" - thanks Lucky for the input. We are HOG members and are looking into using them. However, do not know anyone who has to hear of their experience.

Debra Jo - we are actually located in Lathrop (blocks from Eagles Nest on I-5), just outside of Manteca.

Selina,

I do know of a group of guys that used them after riding one-way to Daytona and then having their bikes shipped back.  When I was asking about doing the same thing, they highly recommended the service.
    • 28 posts
    November 29, 2009 4:39 AM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    highly recommended the service.

Great, thanks!
  • November 29, 2009 8:28 AM PST
    I live in Oklahoma and Rt 66 runs right through here and is a favorite ride for all us local bikers. If you get out this far, I'd recommend it and the people are friendly too!
  • November 29, 2009 1:16 PM PST
    Route 66 museum in Elk City, Ok. Pretty neat.
  • November 30, 2009 10:53 AM PST
    Route 66 runs thru Amarillo as well, locals call it Sixth St. Many antique stores, biker bar & grills with outdoor seating, music, tattoo parlors..fun street! Very busy with bikes on Friday & Saturday nights..Have fun!
  • November 30, 2009 10:58 AM PST
    Antique stores?
    Am i in the wrong forum? lol
    • 28 posts
    November 30, 2009 2:48 PM PST
    TheExtreme wrote...
    Antique stores?

What's wrong with antique stores?  LOL.  Maybe I'll find a nice oldschool bobber along this route. 
    thanks for the input on places to see your area Bonnie and Extreme, keep em' coming.
    • 5419 posts
    November 30, 2009 3:24 PM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    TheExtreme wrote...
    Antique stores?
    What's wrong with antique stores?  LOL.  Maybe I'll find a nice oldschool bobber along this route. 
    thanks for the input on places to see your area Bonnie and Extreme, keep em' coming.

I won't go in antique stores anymore, not since I started seeing stuff in there I grew up with 

• December 2, 2009 10:35 AM PST
    Four of us rode Route 66 this summer round trip from Central Ohio to Oklahoma City for the National HOG Rally. It was fantastic. Didn't get to the Elk City, OK museum but did make it to Clinton, OK one and it was interesting. Suggest you try to stay overnite in OKCity, their BrickTown entertainment area has restaurants, clubs, etc. Very popular with locals & visitors. National Cowboy Museum and National OKC Memorial are "must see" venues. As you travel keep on the lookout for "Historic Route 66" signs which will take you off the interstate to the orginal "Mother Road" Be sure to check out Cuba, MO famous for its Route 66 murals throughout the downtown area (many excellent photo ops). Best wishes and Be Safe on your trip....
  • December 2, 2009 10:41 AM PST
    Regarding Federal Bike Transport endorsed by HOG, I second Lucky's comment, they are terrific. Used them a few years ago shipping my bike from Chicago to the West Coast. Reasonably priced, excellent service, would not even consider anybody else...
  • December 7, 2009 2:40 AM PST
    When you get to Chicago, make sure you do a midnight ride on Lake Shore Drive, then on to Michigan Ave. It's pretty at night and somewhat peaceful.
    • 28 posts
    December 11, 2009 1:41 PM PST
    jbdesigner51 wrote...
    midnight ride on Lake Shore Drive, then on to Michigan Ave.

thanks JB, sounds like an interesting ride.  thanks for the tip.

• 28 posts
    May 19, 2010 2:51 PM PDT
    Update: Well, our trip is booked and we are flying out in late June to finally start our ride. Decided to ship the bikes out to the east coast with the HOG shipping group.. So far, like the customer service and looking forward to seeing the delivery service to either recommend or to grumble about. Admittingly, was a bit taken back when we still had to locate, contact and arrange the drop off arrangements with the Harley dealership for our destination, but that was okay too as it gave us a chance to talk to the dealership in advance. We decided not to rush the trip and are taking 3 weeks to enjoy the ride, scenery and people. What I'm looking for input on now is...we want to take some camping gear and try to spend a night or two (here and there) on river beds, lakes or really cool camping spots. Any suggestions on where to go? Passing through CT, NY, OH, IL, WI, TN, AR,OK, TX & AZ.

p.s I'm allergic to man eating bears, snakes and big spiders.
    • 1066 posts
    May 19, 2010 3:10 PM PDT
    Selina you will be all right in Ohio, as far as the bears. The dog-gone coyotes might keep you awake though.
  • May 20, 2010 7:24 AM PDT
    Where in NY and CT are you traveling through? I live in Copake Falls, NY which is on th Ct., Mass and NY border. There is a great camp ground right around the corner from me. It is part of the Taconic State Park system. The one by me is called Bash Bish Falls. There are bears in the area, but I haven't heard much about any coming into the camp ground yet. Its too early in the season I guess.
    • 28 posts
    May 20, 2010 3:13 PM PDT
    sidetrack wrote...
    Where in NY and CT are you traveling through?

Hello sidetrack, we'll be starting in Hartford, CT and heading north towards Springfield, MA.  Then cross over on 90 towards Rochestor.  Looks like we'll be about 20-25 miles north of where you are when we cross over, but not too far off.  thanks for tip and we'll keep it in mind.

Selina
    • 2 posts
    May 21, 2010 2:06 PM PDT
    There might be a more boring way to cross NY than Rt 90 but I have yet to find it. I hate it everybody drives 20 above the limit & you spend most of the trip scanning for law enforcement.

Try route 20 if you want to pass near Rochester. A lot slower but your get to see a lot more.
    or
    Consider using the Southern I86/Rt. 17 way along the PA border
  • May 21, 2010 8:34 PM PDT
    Back on Page 1 Lucky mentioned not going into antique stores anymore. Lucky, it gets worse...soon the stuff you threw out will be on Antique Road Show at 25K plus and you'll beat yourself into a coma. Don't go into antique stores anymore or except on rare occasion will I watch Antique Road Show. Now I have an attic full of "stuff" for my grandkids to store sometime down the road.
    • 28 posts
    May 22, 2010 2:57 AM PDT
    99Savage, thanks for the tip. We have heard not so good reviews about Rt 90 like, many toll stops and locals who are used to them simply fly through them. Since we would have no idea what the toll fee's are and may need to stop, may get rear ended. Looking for a site or map to show where the tolls are and prices, so that we can be prepared. I'll take a look at your suggestions for the other routes. This is one (of many) once of lifetime ride and I want to see as much as possible. Thanks!