Remembering what Memorial Day is for.

• 19040 posts
    May 26, 2011 3:55 PM PDT

This was sent to me as an email from CF member Carrie57. I thought all here should see it.

The Sailor Pictured Below Is,

Navy Petty Officer,

PO2

(Petty Officer, Second Class)

EOD2

(Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Second Class)

"MIKE MONSOOR"

April 5th, 1981 ~ September 29th, 2009

Mike Monsoor,

Was Awarded "The Congressional Medal Of Honor" Last Week,

For Giving His Life In Iraq  , As He Jumped On, And Covered With His Body,

A Live Hand Grenade,

Saving The Lives Of A Large Group Of Navy Seals That Was Passing By!

~

During Mike Monsoor's Funeral,

At Ft . Rosecrans National Cemetery , In San Diego , California .

The Six Pallbearers Removed The Rosewood Casket From The Hearse,

And Lined Up On Each Side Of Mike Monsoor's Casket,

Were His Family Members, Friends, Fellow Sailors, And Well-wishers .

The Column Of People Continued From The Hearse, All The Way To The Grave Site .

What The Group Didn't Know At The Time Was,

Every Navy Seal

(45 To Be Exact)

That Mike Monsoor Saved That Day Was Scattered Through-Out The Column!

~

As The Pallbearers Carried The Rosewood Casket

Down The Column Of People To The Grave Side .

The Column Would Collapse . .

Which Formed A Group Of People That Followed Behind .

~

Every Time The Rosewood Casket Passed A Navy Seal,

He Would Remove His Gold Trident Pin From His Uniform,

And Slap It Down Hard,

Causing The Gold Trident Pin To Embed Itself

Into The Top Of The Wooden Casket!

Then The Navy Seal Would Step Back From The Column, And Salute!

~

Now For Those, 

Who Don't Know What A Trident Pin Is,

Here Is The Definition!

~

After One Completes The Basic Navy Seals Program Which Lasts For Three Weeks,

And Is Followed By Seal Qualification Training,

Which Is 15 More Weeks Of Training,

Necessary To Continue Improving Basic Skills And To Learn New Tactics And Techniques,

Required For An Assignment To A Navy Seal Platoon .

After successful completion,

Trainees Are Given Their Naval Enlisted Code,

And Are Awarded The Navy Seal Trident Pin .

With This Gold Pin They Are Now Officially Navy Seals!

It Was Said,

That You Could Hear Each Of The 45 Slaps From Across The Cemetery!

By The Time The Rosewood Casket Reached The Grave Site,

It Looked As Though It Had A Gold Inlay From The 45 Trident Pins That Lined The Top!

This Was A Fitting End To An Eternal Send-Off For A Warrior Hero!

This Should Be Front-Page News!

Instead Of The Garbage We Listen To And See Every Day .

~

Here's A Good Idea!

Since The Main Stream Media Won't Make This News .

Then We Choose To Make It News By Forwarding It .

~

I Am Proud Of All The Branches Of Our Military . .

~

• 190 posts
    May 26, 2011 4:33 PM PDT
    Hoorahh! (I was not in the military, so forgive me if your offeneded by that). At work we had a memorial day ceremony, which I attended, to honor those on service an who did serve by our POW memorial. All in all as the work force at the site goes, attendance seemed slim, but some of us were there, and I ran into a friend and coworker who is a vet. I was happy to be there even if no one noticed or cared. Sacrifices like this and countless many others are why we get to live like we do. And I appreciate that, and its all our vets and serving military that have made that possible. I have known many vets and am proud to. remember them this memorial day and all those who made the sacrifices to allow the rest of to be here.
    Thanks Rex, and all the other vets, booyeah!.
  • May 26, 2011 4:49 PM PDT
    Thanks for that.
    • 16831 posts
    May 27, 2011 2:32 AM PDT
    Semper Fi
    • 5420 posts
    May 27, 2011 3:06 AM PDT
    Thank you for sharing that Mike (& Carrie).
    • 1516 posts
    May 27, 2011 3:50 AM PDT
    Wow, that was really touching..
  • May 27, 2011 4:20 AM PDT
    Two of our sons have had the honor of playing 'Taps' at Memorial Day Services over the years. I remember the first time one of them played 'Taps', it was shortly after my Father-in-law had passed, a 30 year Army Veteran, who had seen service in the European Theater in WWII, Korea and Viet Nam. He was playing his salute to his Grampa, tears rolling down his face - without a waver or bobble he played masterfully. I don't think that he or his younger brother ever played that song with dry eyes. I know I cannot hear it without a tear of thankfulness and remembrance of those that served ourcountry so well, and those that never came home, giving it all so we might be free.
    • 3006 posts
    May 27, 2011 5:19 AM PDT
    Growing up during the vietnam war I came to realize what tremendous sacrifices our veterans have made,like my next door neighbor who lost both legs after being shot down over Nam in 66.Somehow he survived & returned to tell the tale,being all of 12 yrs old I never fully grasped it till I was older n saw the pain in my best friends eyes when he learned his bestest big brother was shot out of rescue sling after being wounded in an ambush.He suffered for years the pain of that loss.To all who have served this country with honor I salute you & pray for peace to find your hearts & may the good Lord bless n protect you all !!!
    • 19040 posts
    May 27, 2011 8:03 AM PDT
    To Olenorthpole, Taps does send shivers down my spine too. Check out the video here about the origin of it...

http://www.cyclefish.com/RexTheRoadDog/videos/268
  • May 27, 2011 1:28 PM PDT
    Thank you for the link to that excellent video.
    • 9 posts
    May 27, 2011 3:28 PM PDT
    By virtue of being born an American, I have been graced with the honor of living with, and knowing many service members. And knowing their willingness to sacrifice all, for the greater good, is both humbling and inspirational.
    If it weren't for them, none of us would enjoy the freedom's that we all hold so dear. Thank a service-person today.
    I do every chance I get. And on this, Memorial Day, let us all remember...Freedom isn't free.
  • May 28, 2011 1:13 AM PDT
    One of my most precious possessions is a post card sent to my father from a young neighbor that was in the service during WWII. The front of the card is a waving American flag. On it he had written: Long May it Wave. The note to my father was brief; just a few lines about serving, and the news that he would be shipped out to the Pacific Theater in a short while. He never came home, he unselfishly gave his life when a landing craft swamped on Iwo Jima. He swam to shore, helping another serviceman that could not swim. Indeed from the stories I heard as a child He made several trips back into the water to help other comrades. He was pulled down by an undertow and his body was never found. Remember his sacrifice and that of any service man or woman on this Memorial Day weekend.
  • May 28, 2011 2:42 AM PDT
    And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me and I'll proudly stand next to him to defend her still today, 'cuz there ain't no doubt I love this land, god bless the USA.
    RIP DADDY (VIETNAM 1967-1970)
    • 5420 posts
    May 28, 2011 6:16 AM PDT

• May 28, 2011 7:04 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...

This was sent to me as an email from CF member Carrie57. I thought all here should see it.

The Sailor Pictured Below Is,

Navy Petty Officer,

PO2

(Petty Officer, Second Class)

EOD2

(Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Second Class)

"MIKE MONSOOR"

April 5th, 1981 ~ September 29th, 2009

Mike Monsoor,

Was Awarded "The Congressional Medal Of Honor" Last Week,

For Giving His Life In   Iraq  , As He Jumped On, And Covered With His Body, A Live Hand Grenade,

Saving The Lives Of A Large Group Of Navy Seals That Was Passing By!

~

During Mike Monsoor's Funeral,

At Ft . Rosecrans National Cemetery , In San Diego , California .

The Six Pallbearers Removed The Rosewood Casket From The Hearse,

And Lined Up On Each Side Of Mike Monsoor's Casket,

Were His Family Members, Friends, Fellow Sailors, And Well-wishers .

The Column Of People Continued From The Hearse, All The Way To The Grave Site .

What The Group Didn't Know At The Time Was,

Every Navy Seal

(45 To Be Exact)

That Mike Monsoor Saved That Day Was Scattered Through-Out The Column!

~

As The Pallbearers Carried The Rosewood Casket

Down The Column Of People To The Grave Side .

The Column Would Collapse . .

Which Formed A Group Of People That Followed Behind .

~

Every Time The Rosewood Casket Passed A Navy Seal,

He Would Remove His Gold Trident Pin From His Uniform,

And Slap It Down Hard,

Causing The Gold Trident Pin To Embed Itself

Into The Top Of The Wooden Casket!

Then The Navy Seal Would Step Back From The Column, And Salute!

~

Now For Those, 

Who Don't Know What A Trident Pin Is,

Here Is The Definition!

~

After One Completes The Basic Navy Seals Program Which Lasts For Three Weeks,

And Is Followed By Seal Qualification Training,

Which Is 15 More Weeks Of Training,

Necessary To Continue Improving Basic Skills And To Learn New Tactics And Techniques,

Required For An Assignment To A Navy Seal Platoon .

After successful completion,

Trainees Are Given Their Naval Enlisted Code,

And Are Awarded The Navy Seal Trident Pin .

With This Gold Pin They Are Now Officially Navy Seals!

It Was Said,

That You Could Hear Each Of The 45 Slaps From Across The Cemetery!

By The Time The Rosewood Casket Reached The Grave Site,

It Looked As Though It Had A Gold Inlay From The 45 Trident Pins That Lined The Top!

This Was A Fitting End To An Eternal Send-Off For A Warrior Hero!

This Should Be Front-Page News!

Instead Of The Garbage We Listen To And See Every Day .

~

Here's A Good Idea!

Since The Main Stream Media Won't Make This News .

Then We Choose To Make It News By Forwarding It .

~

I Am Proud Of All The Branches Of Our Military . .

~

Would you please email this to me so I can forward it as well?   randy.schroeder@rocketmail.com
    Thanks...RandyJoe...Ride Strong...
    • 2 posts
    May 28, 2011 1:51 PM PDT
    These are a couple of great charities to donate or raise funds for Memorial Day and/or Veterans Day.

www.cfsrf.org/  ;               Children of Fallen Soldiers Relief Fund

www.woundedwarriorproject.org/  ; Wounded Warriors Project

• 3006 posts
    May 24, 2012 2:12 PM PDT
    Loved this old post Road Dog !!! had to bump it up for this weekend
    • 19040 posts
    May 24, 2012 11:07 PM PDT
    blurplebuzz wrote...
    Loved this old post Road Dog !!! had to bump it up for this weekend

Good Idea, this should be kept in everyone's mind. Thanks!

• May 25, 2012 12:12 AM PDT
    Great Post everyone needs to remember what this weekend is all about. God Bless America
    • 9 posts
    May 25, 2012 2:51 AM PDT
    Thanks for these posts! And Mike, I did post this on my "other social site". Guys like Mike Monsoor, are why we ALL need to remember their sacrifice. Not only to serve, but to protect OUR freedoms. And I'd like to personally honor and remember, those who gave all. And thank all, who have served.

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • May 25, 2012 12:05 PM PDT
    I am always humbled to hear of such a great deed of valor and courage.
    My thanks to all who have served. You are all worthy of honor and respect.
  • May 26, 2012 1:00 AM PDT
    This seems like a good time to give my hometown a pat on the back for a job well done.  Last 4th of July, they dedicated a new veterans memorial - I was fortunate enough to be on hand for the dedication ceremony, and let me tell you it sent shivers down my spine.  It was my mother's birthday last weekend, so I made the five hour ride down south to take her out for supper and do some work around the house for her.  Before leaving town, I stopped by the memorial to admire it for a moment.  It really is inspiring.  Ten granite panels, nine of them depicting conflicts American troops have fought in, from the Revolution through Afghanistan and Iraq.  We are having an engraved brick placed in memory of my grandfather, who was a veteran of WWI. 

I can't get any of the photos I took to upload, but here's a link that will show you what they've done.  Take a look at the panels - they really are amazing:

http://www.reedsburgvfw.com/memorial.php />
    And let me add my thanks to our veterans to who we owe our freedom.  Rest assured that your efforts and sacrifices will never be forgotten.
  • May 26, 2012 2:55 AM PDT
    Thanx for posting that story. It actually brought tears to my eyes. I don't know anybody in the military, but it just breaks my heart every time I hear about someone being killed while protecting our country. I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN. My thoughts and prayers go to each family that has lost someone who has given their life to protect what we have.
    • 19040 posts
    May 27, 2012 12:36 AM PDT
    wolfpack wrote...
    This seems like a good time to give my hometown a pat on the back for a job well done.  Last 4th of July, they dedicated a new veterans memorial - I was fortunate enough to be on hand for the dedication ceremony, and let me tell you it sent shivers down my spine.  It was my mother's birthday last weekend, so I made the five hour ride down south to take her out for supper and do some work around the house for her.  Before leaving town, I stopped by the memorial to admire it for a moment.  It really is inspiring.  Ten granite panels, nine of them depicting conflicts American troops have fought in, from the Revolution through Afghanistan and Iraq.  We are having an engraved brick placed in memory of my grandfather, who was a veteran of WWI. 

I can't get any of the photos I took to upload, but here's a link that will show you what they've done.  Take a look at the panels - they really are amazing:

http://www.reedsburgvfw.com/memorial.php />
    And let me add my thanks to our veterans to who we owe our freedom.  Rest assured that your efforts and sacrifices will never be forgotten.

That is really Nice Wolfpack. Thanks for sharing.

• 658 posts
    May 27, 2012 1:26 AM PDT
    Great posts guys! Thanks for sharing them. My eyes needed a good cleaning this morning. Keeps the contacts soft. A big shout goe to all who have served to keep us free and safe.