Remembering what Memorial Day is for.

• May 27, 2012 2:56 AM PDT
    I'll be riding in the annual West Coast Thunder Ride this Memorial weekend. Taking the chop in observance to my eldest bro, while honoring all the others that sacrificed so much. It always feels great to be a part of the ceremony and visit the grave sites of my relatives and comrades at Riverside National Cemetery. A fulfilling day !
    • 81 posts
    May 27, 2012 3:40 PM PDT
    Thanks for posting this. Yesterday I rode to the cemetery to place 2 flags. My father-in-law a Navy vet who served at Pearl during the clean up and brother-in-law a Marine who was killed by a carjacker while traveling to his first duty station. Tomorrow I will ride with the ALR to a service at a cemetery that our post conducts.
    Yesterday I also found out how other vets feel when I thank them for their service.(usually no warning just walk up and say thank you). While heading to the cemetery sporting my flag on the bike and my ALR vest a woman pulled up to me and thanked me. Caught me off guard to say the least.
    • 1780 posts
    May 27, 2012 10:53 PM PDT
    Thank Mike for getting this post rolling.....super post
    Dragon
    Vietnam Vet 1970 - 1971
    • 9 posts
    May 28, 2012 1:26 AM PDT

Almost all of us, knew SOMEONE, who has given their life, in the service of this country. But even if you haven't, you have been moved by a story you've read or seen on tv or the internet. These were men and women, just like US! Who stepped into harm's way, because they were moved to do so. The most we can do, is honor them.

The least we can do is remember them. I choose to do both!

It's a shame my town is being buffeted by a daggone tropical storm today. And I'm praying they will only post-pone the commemoration ceremonies. I'd like to be there for them!
    But, I can still say THANK YOU! And...GOD BLESS YOU! Your sacrifice, was NOT IN VAIN.

Ride Free
    Tweek

PS  Happy Memorial Day!

• May 28, 2012 2:37 AM PDT
    Thank you to all my fellow veterans past and present. Ive seen the brutality of war, the blood, sweat, and tears. Im thankful for the friendships ive had due to the brotherhood that comes with serving for your country. The ability to put aside what you want or need in order to provide freedom for others. Thank you to all those that gave the ultimate sacrifice in my name. To those that came home broken and scarred, both mentally and physically. Also, to those family members of those that served, for they serve beside them and also know what sacrifice is. EVERYDAY IS MEMORIAL DAY!

Camp Sather, Baghdad, Iraq 04-05
    Camp Bucca, Iraq 07
    Al Assad, Iraq 11
  • May 28, 2012 4:15 PM PDT
    Thank you to all my fellow veterans past and present. Ive seen the brutality of war, the blood, sweat, and tears. Im thankful for the friendships ive had due to the brotherhood that comes with serving for your country. The ability to put aside what you want or need in order to provide freedom for others. Thank you to all those that gave the ultimate sacrifice in my name. To those that came home broken and scarred, both mentally and physically. Also, to those family members of those that served, for they serve beside them and also know what sacrifice is. EVERYDAY IS MEMORIAL DAY!

Camp Sather, Baghdad, Iraq 04-05
    Camp Bucca, Iraq 07
    Al Assad, Iraq 11

HUA!

If you are able,
    save them a place
    inside of you
    and save one backward glance
    when you are leaving
    for the places they can
    no longer go.
    Be not ashamed to say
    you loved them,
    though you may
    or may not have always.
    Take what they have left
    and what they have taught you
    with their dying
    and keep it with your own.
    And in that time
    when men decide and feel safe
    to call the war insane,
    take one moment to embrace
    those gentle heroes
    you left behind.

Major Michael Davis O'Donnell
    1 January 1970
    Dak To, Vietnam

• 3006 posts
    May 27, 2013 3:58 AM PDT
    May we never forget the sacrifices of those who are laid to rest defending our freedoms

We have a lot of new members & wanted to share this post with them.I hope everyone has a good Memorial Day
    and thoughts n prayers go out to those who have lost loved ones who served & paid the ultimate price.