I'm gonna hurt someone

• 638 posts
    April 26, 2011 11:57 AM PDT
    I dropped my Yamaha off at a reputable shop in town to take care of a busted gasket on my rear jug and a dry rotted rubber boot around the drive shaft 6 weeks ago. The mechanics Mike, a buddy of mine, but may be a little over confident in his skills assured me it would be ready in two weeks. This was March 16th. He called me and asked if I wanted to change out all of the seals and gaskets, piston rings and adjust my valves while he had it all apart. I said sure, why not. I practically stole the bike for 3 grand so I figured I'd have a brand new one when all was said and done. Well he had hell putting everything back together but a month later he was done. I was on the rig when I got this call, a lot of good it does me. Well he was going for a spin and the starter/clutch assembly crapped out. No problem, he gets a new one and somehow while using a bearing puller splits my crankshaft in two. I'm $2000 into this and 6 f**king weeks without a f**king bike. I'm at my wit's end. I sent it in for an oil leak and look where I'm at now. These motherf***ers may have just purchased a junk bike. So pissed right now.
  • April 26, 2011 1:41 PM PDT
    damn that just sucks, good luck with it
    • 638 posts
    April 26, 2011 1:47 PM PDT
    Thanks Bullmoose. This is becoming a nightmare. I have another bike to ride but the plan was to get this one in redone and trade both bikes in and get a Street Glide. This all started with an oil leak
    • 9 posts
    April 26, 2011 2:20 PM PDT
    Sad, just plain sad. Hope your friend at least tries to make good on the screw up.
    • 5419 posts
    April 26, 2011 2:50 PM PDT
    Wow, that really sucks. I would be pissed too! Hopefully they do the right thing and take care of this for you... and not at your expense!!!
    • 1516 posts
    April 27, 2011 2:40 AM PDT
    It really should all be on the shops dime at this point!!!
  • April 27, 2011 3:20 AM PDT
    seems like everything over and above the origional issue and the additional you authorized should be on the shop. Wow, split the crank using a bearing puller??
    • 3006 posts
    April 27, 2011 4:00 AM PDT
    Have to agree with sjsak,everything over n above the original estimate,including the starter clutch assmbly..dont aggravate yourself over it too much,this is a lesson we all learn at some point,taking it to the shop doesnt always guarantee good results.Over the years been wrenching on her myself when possible its usually the best course.
    • 638 posts
    May 4, 2011 9:41 AM PDT
    yeah, I normally do my own work too, but I figured it would be easier to just drop it off and have it done while I was at work out of town. Oh well, lesson learned. I have to go talk to these guys and figure out what they will do. I'm trying not to get an attorney involved.

Oh, by the way. To help ease the mental anguish of this whole ordeal, I bought myself a Vulcan 2000. I just couldn't help it
  • May 5, 2011 12:51 AM PDT
    thats what you get for buying a pice of shit, should of bought brand new then go trouble free.
    • 638 posts
    May 5, 2011 7:07 PM PDT
    fatboylo wrote...
    thats what you get for buying a pice of shit, should of bought brand new then go trouble free.

It wasn't a piece of shit. quite the opposite, it was in great shape for a 2000 model with 26k miles on it. It just needed a few MINOR things done to it.
    • 638 posts
    May 5, 2011 8:09 PM PDT
    here are a few pics I took of the Vulcan today. It helps me get my mind off the fukking I'm about to get from that shop
  • May 6, 2011 1:33 AM PDT
    Wow, That really sucks...............
    • 9 posts
    May 6, 2011 12:20 PM PDT
    I think that when they call & tell you it's ready, I'd show up with a lawyer & get the bill adjusted
  • May 16, 2011 7:18 AM PDT
    I know how ya feel had the same type thing happen on my old chopper. Bike wouldn't start went through batteries starters and everything till it was all the biggest baddest you could mount on it. still wouldn't start. Finally had an old school mechanic tell the shop guy to pull the cam and check the # he did and then was told to shit can the cam and replace it the cam had the wrong grind from S&S closed both intake and exhaust at the same time so the motor wouldn't turn. ended up eating the cost of the cam so good luck bro!!
    • 638 posts
    May 17, 2011 1:12 AM PDT
    Appreciate it Doc. I just stayed away from the bike shop for a few weeks to cool off. I know if I went there and threw a fit I would just make matters worse. I'll deal with it when I get off the rig in a week.
    • 3006 posts
    May 17, 2011 5:58 AM PDT
    That Vulcan looks like a pretty nice ride,how do you like it?
    Hope you sort out that deal ok with your shop,remember ya catch more bee's with honey than vinegar,your better off taking the quiet approach in the matter,n see where you can maybe salvage the situation w/out bad feelings..
    stay safe n enjoy the ride !!!
    • 638 posts
    May 17, 2011 7:49 AM PDT
    I feel the same way. I was pissed at the beginning then I figured if I went over there and showed my ass, I would make matters worse. As far as the Vulcan, I have never ridden anything with that much refined power. I love it. I was in the market for a Street Glide but a buddy had this one at his lot and I couldn't pass the deal up.
    • 567 posts
    May 17, 2011 11:36 AM PDT
    KB - You've just described the kind of nightmare everyone fears. It doesn't matter whether its your bike or your cage.
    I've had "that call" from the mechanic. Its no fun. And, getting a fair deal on the matter is most likely NOT going to happen.
    • 0 posts
    May 18, 2011 8:35 AM PDT
    If they are a reputable shop, just tell them, calmly, that you are not pleased and ask them what they can do to help make the situation right. I am sure with this approach, you can both come to an agreement that you can live with.
  • May 19, 2011 8:48 AM PDT
    Gotta agree with the general concensus here...you shouldn't be liable for ANYTHING over what you agreed to have done (i.e. seal, gaskets, and rings, with the valve lash adjustment)! Anything that the shop did to kill this ride after that is on them, and if they're a reputable place, they should make it right for you! Not sure of the laws in your state, but you may have a small claims or civil court case, depending on the total amount lost here. Good luck and it's a good thing you have the Vulcan (nice ride, btw)!
  • May 20, 2011 7:04 AM PDT
    after riding the V2K, I can't believe you even want the other back anymore!
    • 638 posts
    May 21, 2011 5:15 AM PDT
    If everything goes well and I do get the Vstar back, I will be chopping itup and make another old school bobber out of it. Just a bar hopper and nothing more. The Vulcan is really all the bike I need but it never hurts to have a few spare bikes too
  • June 1, 2011 2:50 PM PDT
    My xs 1100 spent 3 weeks in the shop trying to figure out why it had no fire, they never could figure it out
    brought it home ,went online and found out it had 2 broke pick up coil wires. cut & spliced back together.
    runs like a champ. course its older than the people tryin to fix it !!!
    • 6 posts
    June 2, 2011 7:30 AM PDT
    Yup.... I'd be in jail. Friend's shop or not, I'd stop talking to them at ALL, come in with a lawyer, and demand either your bike, fixed, if anything, for the cost of the repair you agreed to, OR the entire purchase price of the bike. Hands down, they owe you one or the other, no matter what it costs THEM.

Having read through this whole thread, I also have to say... in my book, no matter what your opinion, anyone who calls another bro's bike a "piece of S__T" is an absolute turd. Looks like it was, and could be again, minus the help of the jokers "working" on it. (I've got a 30 year old Honda 400... is it a piece of _____ just because it's old and used?) That nonsense is right up there with the "I'm a biker and you're not" crap. Not everyone can afford new stuff, and, like me, not everyone WANTS new stuff.