Bad Drivers Typically Have No Insurance - Protect Yourself ...

• December 21, 2010 12:19 AM PST

Recently, a BAD DRIVER runs a red light violating a fellow biker’s right of way. The impact ejected him from his bike and he landed on the other side of the intersection with serious injuries, an ambulance ride, emergency room visit, admission, and surgery. Through absolutely no fault of his own, he has serious out-of-pocket medical bills, lost wages, and he will be out of work for a considerable period of time. Investigation reveals the bad driver’s automobile insurance cancelled before the crash. She was driving without insurance! Also, she has nothing in her name, so a lawsuit against her will be fruitless! Adding insult to injury, our fellow biker thought he had “full coverage”; and on closer inspection, he did not have any “uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage”! Thus he has almost catastrophic damages and no place to make an insurance claim for compensation.

LESSON LEARNED: DON’T WAIT UNTIL AN ACCIDENT TO REVIEW YOUR INSURANCE! Make sure you have uninsured/underinsured motorist protection in your motorcycle insurance policy. You purchase insurance to protect yourself – make sure you have the coverage to protect yourself from these so-called “dead-beat drivers”! We recommend you obtain uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage in the very highest amount you can possibly afford. The small cost in premium is well worth the coverage and peace of mind. Look at the Declarations of Coverage of your policy, or revisit with your insurance agent to make sure you have this protection. If you have further questions, you are welcome to contact Brad personally to review your insurance coverages over the phone, to explain what the listed coverages provide, and please remember to …

WATCH OUT FOR MOTORCYCLES!!!®

Brad Souders – Personal Injury Attorney
    A Biker Representing Bikers
    http://www.HOG-LAW.com
  • January 25, 2011 2:56 AM PST
    Just a word to all of my brother and sisters of the road. On the 19th of December 2007, I was struck from behind by a pick-up truck at an intersection after a signal light change. I had multiple fractures of my right foot and other deep bruises but not life threatenting condition. Healing and recoperation took several months. Loss of income and also place of employment has caused some problems but we have not had to liquidate property to survive. Legal process has had to be used because the insurance company's offer to settle didn't cover what I had record of for just medical cost with my personal medical coverages. The bike was repaired at no personal cost. 

I now understand what UNINSURED AND UNDER INSURED means as after all of my bills,reembusements and legal cost have been covered under his policy limits,  very little is left for compensation..

My biggest problem dealing with his insurance company was getting answers to questions. During the 2 year statuate limit for claims, I could not get anyone to state what was paid or not paid when an offer to settle was presented.   As I now find their first offer would not have covered many of the medical costs.   My case is still not closed at this time.

I am fortunate to be healthy and no longterm problems that could be disabling. Without the personal extended coverage we could have lost everything if my injuries had been worse.

Check your coverage for yourself and passenger. It can save you and your family many problems and possable ruin the rest of your lives.
  • July 22, 2012 3:16 AM PDT
    Good information, thanks for taking the time to share a personal experience. I'll call Monday to see what my policy has and where it fails.
  • July 22, 2012 8:38 AM PDT
    I'm hopeful the original poster of this post can answer this question with a simple true or false.Here goes my question.I have often heard,"Don 't bundle your homeowners policy, auto, and bike insurance with the same company."The reason being was stated that if you have an accident with a uninsured or underinsured person the other policy will pick up any remaining expenses that your first policy did not cover.Hope those details are more than enough information to clarify if it is true or false.
  • July 23, 2012 10:43 AM PDT
    I know with rentals in USA for us Limeys - as long as you sign up ALL the waivers you are totally covered for EVERY eventuality.....

Here in UK us Limeys have to take out a separate cover for any vehicle we own for any 3rd party uninsured no matter how caused, otherwise there is absolutely no way to claim against an uninsured driver for damages OR compensations.....

Over here it is the PERSON taking out insurance on a named vehicle owned by him/her, NOT as it is in USA where it is the vehicle that is insured for any qualified driver/rider who has the owners consent and an appropriate licence...that works there but it would never work here...

Unless it is directly specified on your policy coverage, you no longer have 3rd party cover to drive anyone elses vehicle.....also.....no other person may drive/ride your vehicle unless they are added to your own personal policy by name.....They got us by the cohones here...
    • 834 posts
    July 23, 2012 11:35 AM PDT
    I work for one of the nations largest insurance companies, in the computer room now but for years before I got my degree I worked in sales and claims here.

Blacktop - That is completely untrue. Although you go through the same agent and parent company which will normally provide you with discounts for bundling, the policies are actually handled by the companies within the companies and there is no "pick up" of one to the other. There are cases where say you are in an auto accident you had personal belongings in the auto (like art or a bicycle in the trunk) that were damaged and would not be covered in an auto claim, you would make a separate claim on your home owners for personal property loss. There are also cases where the medical portion of your auto policy maxes out and you need to submit a claim with your major medical carrier. But both those cases would be true whether you carried the separate policies within one company or multiple companies.

Jetman, don't confuse the coverage you get when renting a vehicle with personal coverage. Rental agencies are typically self insured with an insurance company underwriting it. To protect you and themselves they offer insurance to cover everyone and everything "Full Coverage". Personal policies you take out on a vehicle owned do not necessarily cover anyone other than you or others named on the policy when driving your vehicle unless you specifically requested that option. Even your own insurance may not cover you driving someone elses vehicle.

You hear lots of people making very GENERAL statements about insurance because of something that may have happened to them because of limits on their policies, but that does not mean you have the same limits or lack of limits on yours. Like the original poster stated, you need to review your OWN policy to see who and what are covered. All auto/motorcycle policies do NOT cover other drivers, you driving someone elses vehicle, or uninsured/under insured motorists.

Note: there are states that do require policies written there must include uninsured motorist and you will see that in your policy.
  • July 23, 2012 11:53 AM PDT
    Ahha, that clears up a few bits....thanks.....

Thing is though, I always ask exactly what level of cover I have in the event of any collisions, loss of, stolen, 3rd party liability, injury and other claims made by anyone at any time whilst I am in possesion of that vehicle.....the basics come to 'X' amount, then its a ladder of figures added to cover all the variations and add-ons...usually ends up as a couple hundred dollars a week extra to cover EVERYTHING...and thats why I always sign all the waivers up to make sure I have maximum cover, I even get the medical insurance covers added even though I have my own travel insurance that is valid in USA - just to make sure that whilst I have their vehicle, even if its a my fault incident I am not held liable for any damages which may be incurred.....a friend of mine who is a Lawyer in MA told me exactly what level to insure to...but yeah, I didn't know about the automatic insurance cover for persons appointed by you to cover them on your machines...unless of course it is specified.....good catch.....
  • July 23, 2012 8:56 PM PDT
    I got hit a couple years ago & thank God wasn't hurt & din't go down. I should have sued but I'm not sue happy. YES it freaked me out.

Ride like you are invisible because you are & always give yourself a bail out spot. I'm always in gear aimed to go between the cars if at a stop light. I don't trust anyone.
  • April 4, 2013 12:09 AM PDT
    hell 50% of Tennessee has no insurance so be careful here and they drive with blinders on !            
  • April 5, 2013 1:11 AM PDT
    Shoot, we got the same problem here in South Dakota with uninsured people.Just checked into renewing my policy, as I let it lapse, and it is $100 a year cheaper with higher coverages.