Motorcycle Jack

• November 5, 2010 2:51 AM PDT
    I am looking to buy a motorcycle jack for a Christmas Gift. Anyone have a suggestion as to what kind or where to get one?  Its for a Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom.
  • November 5, 2010 3:19 AM PDT
    Is it for decoration or protection??. Get a cash card for the gift. I have leather and also kevlar riding suits. Both were made to fit as they arn't worth $.50 if you can't be comfortable for a long time. I have tried many off the rack and found that I wear large to XXX large Tall depending on who and where the jacket/coat was made. Suzuki brand accesory riding jackets were made for Asian sized people in Asia. You need to Try it dressed the way that you are going to ride. Tee shirt and vest, flannel and thermal knit, knude or naked it all changes how it moves and fits. One last note is body armour can be a comfort or a pain if it does not fit and sit in the right position.  

Sorry.....Guess I need to put the Spectacles on instead of jumping up the screen size.  Chalk that one up as my first mistake this year...???  maybe not.. 

Ok to answer the original question.  Northern tool . com..   They have 26 different styles or models.  They have one like lucky posted that has a 1500 lb capacity.  Priced at $99.99.  Can look for store for pick up or freight delivery.  They have a good history and quality product.    You can go all the way to a drive on lift table with drop panels and wheel clamps wide enough for a 4 wheeler and $1900.00.  I have the 1500 LB cap center lift that has worked very well and the bike is very stable at 18 inches elevation.   Hope "this" answer will help. 
    • 5420 posts
    November 5, 2010 3:51 AM PDT
    See Howard, that's what happens when you start typing befor you had your morning coffee.  I believe she was asking about a jack, not a jacket

I have a Craftsman Motorcycle Jack I got from Sears.  I see it is still only $99 which is a great deal.  It works great on my Road King and every other bike I have used it on.  I have had it for around 6 years now, use it extensively and it still works like the day I got it.

And now for the plug... Sears is one of the merchants who supplies coupons and deals for CycleFish users.  Right now (through the end of the month) they have a Free Shipping deal on any order of $99 or more, so if you click this link
    Craftsman Motorcycle Jack, and enter the coupon code "SANTA" when you check out, you can get the jack shipped free.
  • November 5, 2010 4:29 AM PDT
    hgsc90 wrote...
    Is it for decoration or protection??. Get a cash card for the gift. I have leather and also kevlar riding suits. Both were made to fit as they arn't worth $.50 if you can't be comfortable for a long time. I have tried many off the rack and found that I wear large to XXX large Tall depending on who and where the jacket/coat was made. Suzuki brand accesory riding jackets were made for Asian sized people in Asia. You need to Try it dressed the way that you are going to ride. Tee shirt and vest, flannel and thermal knit, knude or naked it all changes how it moves and fits. One last note is body armour can be a comfort or a pain if it does not fit and sit in the right position.

Not sure her old man  will be able to lift his Harley with a (jack) et but good info none the less. LOL 
    • 846 posts
    November 5, 2010 6:43 AM PDT
    Let me echo lucky’s comment I have a similar jack and have used it on my Sportster and Road King with no problems. Since Dyna’s fall in between the weight of both bikes you’re all set. I use mine for detailing the bike and when I store it for the winter months. If the shipping is free with the Santa code then go for it. I paid half of what the jack cost in shipping due to the weight.

I don’t find it all that comfortable wearing it around the house or on rides (in regards to Howard’s comments).
  • November 5, 2010 1:51 PM PDT
    I have the same Sears jack and use it all the time
    • 0 posts
    November 5, 2010 5:54 PM PDT
    I use a snap on bugger pretty much the same as the one Lucky has pictured the everyday....It lifts everything from posty bikes to Goldwings.............CHEERS BOOF
    • 2072 posts
    November 6, 2010 1:04 AM PDT
    I have one from Harbor Freight that works great. Light weight aluminum athat lifts my C-90 with no trouble at all. With the 20% off coupon that is in all motorcycle magazines now it was around 80.00
  • November 6, 2010 12:30 PM PDT
    I love my Craftsman motorcycle jack too. Had it forever and works great.
    • 467 posts
    November 7, 2010 2:06 AM PST
    Ahh, but I have the Craftsman jack and it works fine for my softtail but does NOT work for my hubby's Dyna! So is there anyone out there that has figured out how to make it work for a Dyna?
    • 5420 posts
    November 7, 2010 2:57 AM PST
    Claudia, Check this out.  It is an adapter kit made to be used with the Harley Davidson brand lift, but I believe it will work with the Craftsman motorcycle lift...

Dyna® Model Motorcycle Service Lift Adapter Kit
    • 467 posts
    November 8, 2010 1:58 AM PST
    Thank you! I will check it out right now!
  • November 8, 2010 1:56 PM PST
    Thank you all! All the information is great and helpful....some even humorous! Thanks Again!
  • November 8, 2010 2:07 PM PST
    Me too! I have the Craftsman, bought it used....been having it for 3yrs...and lifts my 800lb SG with ease!
    • 1066 posts
    November 8, 2010 2:43 PM PST
    Ok boys and girls, small lesson. My FXDL, Dyna LowRider is not compatible with this type of jack. there is a piece of flat metal welded on the right side frame tube on the bottom, right where you need to slide the jack under. It's like a small skid plate. It will not allow you to slide the jack under the bike. Even if you pick the bike up enough to get it on the jack, the bike won't sit up right. Mine is a 2003, so check under your Dyna's before you run out to buy one of these jacks. I have tried two different jacks, neither one will work.
    • 58 posts
    November 9, 2010 1:32 AM PST
    I saw something in a mag awhile back. It was a homemade bike lift/stand. Custruction (hope I can get this clear as mud): 1 4"X4" , 3' long. into one side, an eyebolt at each end and 2 2"X4" pieces cut to you desired stand height (long enough to lift the bike) attached so they fit to the frame rails. Last, a length of pipe at 90 deg to the 2"X4" blocks (this is your jack/lift lever). If interested, I can try to find the article/pics.
    • 467 posts
    November 9, 2010 10:17 AM PST
    Hollywood wrote...
    Ok boys and girls, small lesson. My FXDL, Dyna LowRider is not compatible with this type of jack. there is a piece of flat metal welded on the right side frame tube on the bottom, right where you need to slide the jack under. It's like a small skid plate. It will not allow you to slide the jack under the bike. Even if you pick the bike up enough to get it on the jack, the bike won't sit up right. Mine is a 2003, so check under your Dyna's before you run out to buy one of these jacks. I have tried two different jacks, neither one will work.

Thanks, now that I think about it, I do believe that that was one of the issues we had with the Craftsmen jack and Clay's 01 FXDL.  It would not even slide under because his bike is too low. At least the "kick" stand we have works for his, but it would be nice to be able to have a jack for his that would allow me to move the bikes to the very back of the garage on the stand.