Doesn't anyone build they’re own bikes any more?

• January 4, 2010 7:24 AM PST
    I would if I had the knowhow
    • 1161 posts
    January 4, 2010 2:12 PM PST
    I have put alot of thought into it, for 1 it will be the way I want it, and for 2 it will be cheaper. But 1 i dont have the know how, 2 i dont have the cash for it or a 125cc.... but some day i will!
  • January 4, 2010 2:30 PM PST
    I'm hoping to start to build a second Ride - I'm looking to go with a Pro Street Bike that I plan to build from the ground up.... My first bike is a 06 Road King Custom with a shit load of Coin invested but now time to move onto a project bike.
  • January 4, 2010 2:52 PM PST
    one thing for me is knowing every nut and bult of the bike, what makes it tick, it feels good when someone telles me, what a nice bike, but it is even better when ask me, who did the work and i can say i did everything from the motor rebuild to the leather on the seat to the paint. Seakers your right you end up with somthing that is just what you wanted, point 2 most of the time its cheaper but not always and as for the know how dont let that stop you there is so much info on the net and a factory service manual is worth it weight in gold. i would tell you figger what kind of bike you want to start with than hang out in a forum room and get all the knowlage you can even before you get the bike. before you know it your penneys will add up and you will almost kind of know what your doing even before you start. Hell i only payed $1,500 for that bike
    • 1780 posts
    January 5, 2010 1:04 AM PST
    I did not built this from the ground up but close to it......here is a before and after shot.

Night Dragon
  • January 5, 2010 1:27 AM PST
    We build bkes here at Matchbox Customs some from the ground up some from factory bikes that get the customers own little touch.
  • g
    January 5, 2010 4:09 AM PST
    this is 9's trike ,its all done now ,looks gid .....
  • g
    January 5, 2010 4:10 AM PST
    ill get a few more in a bit .
  • January 5, 2010 7:55 PM PST
    this is my other bike it started out as a 1998 suzuki it has a yamaha back fender streached victory gas tank boulevard front fender solo seat harley head light and a bunch of hand made parts. That is real wood on the side i dont think of this one so much as a build but a fluff job because i dident change the frame
  • January 5, 2010 8:48 PM PST
    I did this one a few yeas ago
  • January 5, 2010 9:44 PM PST
    nice scoot tat2thor
    • 1780 posts
    January 5, 2010 11:03 PM PST
    bullmoose that is one sweet looking metric.....Damn

Night Dragon
  • January 5, 2010 11:48 PM PST
    allways building something check out myspace.com/hubertshea taking a 2000HD 883 to 1200 when thats done i'll tear my ironhead down again. can never have enough power!
  • January 6, 2010 12:11 AM PST
    thanks night dragon its my dayley rider got about 40,000 miles on it now
  • g
    January 6, 2010 9:39 AM PST
    got another one ...............................................
  • September 13, 2011 2:05 PM PDT
    Just been lookin over the pic's. and seeing some prety cool @#%*
    • 16795 posts
    September 13, 2011 3:41 PM PDT
    Q. Doesn't anyone build they’re own bikes any more?

A. I still do.
    • 5417 posts
    September 13, 2011 3:46 PM PDT
    I have build a few when I was younger out of necessity because I couldn't afford anything more than collecting take-off parts from other riders and shopping at swap meets. Now I am planning on building a bike because I want to. Hopefully will have the room (we are in the process of moving), and the time to start this winter! Not sure exactly what it will look like, but it will definitely be a bobber.
    • 638 posts
    September 14, 2011 12:22 AM PDT

built this one in the living room
  • September 14, 2011 2:29 AM PDT
    I'm building mine,course money is an issue so I have to!
    • 1516 posts
    September 14, 2011 3:14 AM PDT
    We have one in the backyard that is almost done, just a little more cash and it will have a new life.
    The one in the pic is one that our friend Ray built right before he passed away.

• September 18, 2011 9:03 AM PDT
    The bike I would really like to do a rebuild on is a basket FXR... problem now is they've mysteriously become popular again! HMPH! For now I'll just do what I do... fix everyone elses 'custom' bikes!
  • September 18, 2011 11:24 AM PDT
    Black9, Ive built a few FXR,s and they handle like a slot car. Must poast when you are finished.
    • 513 posts
    September 21, 2011 12:22 AM PDT
    ABSOLUTELY
  • September 21, 2011 12:17 PM PDT
    I think its great when the kids show interest. I used to tape the end of a screwdriver and let my sons poke around on the motor when they were about 3 and they have been building bikes since then. Its good to know they will remember what they learned and carry on the work.