Ride Bells...

• September 5, 2013 3:30 AM PDT
    Lost my ride bell that was given to me by someone very special years ago. Now I can't decide whether to replace it myself or let everyone know so someone will give me a new one.
    • 10 posts
    September 5, 2013 6:10 PM PDT
    my brother in law gave a bell to me several years ago. He screwed me financially in a business venture I helped him with. First thing I did was rip that bell off and destroy it.
  • September 5, 2013 11:36 PM PDT
    bell or not what ever is meant to happen will , that's murphy's law . ride safe
    • 10 posts
    September 6, 2013 12:05 AM PDT
    Ricochet wrote...

Agree with you completely. When it is your time...there is nothing you can do to stop it.

• 844 posts
    September 6, 2013 2:25 AM PDT
    Ricochet wrote...

Yeah, I don't think anyone hear believes there are actually road demons and the bell will keep them away.  I think it is more just the knowing that there is someone who cares enough to give you the bell.  Kind of like that person saying "Have a Safe Ride" every time you get on the bike.

• September 6, 2013 5:14 AM PDT
    I got mine at the wedding of a friend. They rang these little bells instead of throwing rice. That was many, many years ago
    It's so rusted, now, that it's starting to disintegrate. It still rings . . .sorta.
    Plus, I have the 'emergency bell' on the handle bars
    • 1855 posts
    September 6, 2013 6:55 AM PDT
    GoFur wrote...
    Ricochet wrote...

Yeah, I don't think anyone hear believes there are actually road demons and the bell will keep them away.  I think it is more just the knowing that there is someone who cares enough to give you the bell.  Kind of like that person saying "Have a Safe Ride" every time you get on the bike.

Yep, that someone "cares" enough.  But I don't believe in Murphy's law when it comes to riding or when it's your time to go it's your time to go.   I've seen too many idiots on the road who "made it" their time to go and it didn't have to happen. 

BTW, just as a rule of thumb.  If a brother gives you a bell for your bike it shouldn't be placed on another motorcycle.  Buying a new/different bike means taking the bell off the old bike and hanging in your garage or shop or even giving it to someone else.

Peace

• 9 posts
    September 6, 2013 11:49 AM PDT
    Uhhhm, it ain't Murphy's Law.  K?  I won't get into "my belief system" on this.  But, what I will tell you, straight up, is
    that there ARE road Demons.  AND road Angels.  

And if someone "feels better" by havin' a bell, then by all means, have it.  This ain't STUPID-STITION.  This is reality.
    There are things, not always "seen" that travel right beside us.  Some good.  Some evil.
    And personally, I'd take it as a huge blessing, if someone were to "honor" me, with a ride bell.

It means more, comin' from someone else.  It means you are CARED for.  
    AND, IF, the person, who gave ya that bell, feels better, givin' it to ya, then, by all means...ACCEPT IT!

Look, we can all use that extra prayer, right?  And that, to me, is what a bell, represents.  A PRAYER.  
    To see ya home safe.

Just my two...just sayin'.

Ride Hard, Ride SAFE, RIDE FREE
    Tweek

• 1855 posts
    September 6, 2013 12:57 PM PDT
        Good and evil on your shoulders, eh?  Can't argue with that.

Peace`
  • September 6, 2013 2:25 PM PDT
    never had a bell on mine........great story of the old rider.
  • September 6, 2013 2:29 PM PDT
    never had a bell on mine........great story of the old rider. I always had oddie the dog from Garfield--little stuffed guy, with a wild -gotta ride or whatta look on its face!
    • 844 posts
    November 6, 2013 9:54 AM PST
    Someone told me that you are not supposed to move a bell from your old bike to your new bike. They say you should leave the bell on your old bike as a gesture to the next owner and someone should give you a new bell for your new bike.

Anyone else heard this legend?
  • November 11, 2013 3:16 AM PST
    Ricochet wrote...

Actually Murphy's law reads "If it can go wrong, it will". 

In any case, ride safe.

Jon

• 3006 posts
    November 11, 2013 7:49 AM PST
    Never heard about the bell story till I started riding again back in 99, I unfortunately dont have one, tho I did drop a few hints here n therewith some ladies I dated.

I didnt realize it had to come from a riding partner, I just heard it was from someone who cares about you,typically a lady or a close buddy.

Hopefully one of these days I''ll get one, till then I'll keep carrying my own version of it,a special coin I have carried for the last ten years.
    • 5419 posts
    January 29, 2014 8:37 AM PST
    blurplebuzz wrote...
    Never heard about the bell story till I started riding again back in 99, I unfortunately dont have one, tho I did drop a few hints here n therewith some ladies I dated.

I didnt realize it had to come from a riding partner, I just heard it was from someone who cares about you,typically a lady or a close buddy.

Hopefully one of these days I''ll get one, till then I'll keep carrying my own version of it,a special coin I have carried for the last ten years.

I never heard it had to be a riding partner.  I think it is special as long as someone gives it to you because they care

• 3006 posts
    July 2, 2014 6:11 AM PDT
    Hopefully I may find a decent ride bell this weekend & give it to a friend I know.If I cant find one at Hollister,I will check out the link here.
  • July 3, 2014 11:33 AM PDT
    Everyone needs a Bell Bro............I wonder if Extreme had one on his bike when I wrecked it in Bolling Green Ky. a few years ago.....???
    Night Dragon
  • July 3, 2014 1:51 PM PDT
    Many years ago, a St Christopher's badge was part and parcel of all sports cars. Much like the ride bells are for the bikers now. I never had a ride bell, but I have had several St Christopher's badges.

Jon
  • December 9, 2014 9:13 AM PST
    my bell is plain and simple.....I believe.
  • December 9, 2014 1:38 PM PST
    my sweetie bought me one....glad she did. it hangs close to the road,