So.... Where have you lived?

• 9 posts
    September 5, 2010 7:12 AM PDT
    I was born into an Air Force family while my folks were stationed at Ft. Monroe , Va. My Dad did 22 years in A/F so we moved alot, about once every 2 or thre years. Then I ended up in the Army & did my start of moving around. Got out of the Army in 1971 & kept moving around till 18 years ago when I moved to Fla. & stayed here in Bradenton, I think I'm done.... But never say never....
    These are just the places I have had mailing addresses:
    Ft. Monroe, Va./ Arlington, Mass/ New Bedford, Mass/ San Diago, Ca./ San Bernidino, Ca./ Hillcrest Hights, Md./ Oxon Hill, Md./ Wash. D.C./ Pasadena, Md/ Glen Burnie, Md/ Freehold, NJ/ Greenfield, Ma/ Arlington, Va./ Picayune, Miss/ Jackson, Miss/ Tuscon, AZ, Kadena, Okinawa, Japan/ Ft.  Sill, OK/ Laurel, Md/..... Maybe even more... But thats enough for now....
  • September 5, 2010 7:30 AM PDT
    ok, there has been: houston,Tx, flatonia,Tx, schulenburg,tx, austin,tx, irving,tx, arlington,tx, burnet,tx, gonzales,tx, clovis,new mexico, portales,new mexico, seguin, tx. after my boys are grown and on their own, who knows.
  • g
    September 5, 2010 7:33 AM PDT
    never live outside of aberdeen ,almost moved to cyprus with the r.a.f ,and australia to paint car's ,but wife would not move .................**** .
  • g
    September 5, 2010 7:33 AM PDT
    love to move to some place were its hot in the winter ,hate to cold n the snow .
    • 0 posts
    September 5, 2010 7:40 AM PDT
    Was invented in Melbourne Aus,grew up in heathcote junction and wandong victoria,moved back to melbourne for work as a young bloke. Moved to kyneton central Victoria then Bendigo.Worked in south east asia for awhile.thailand, phillipines, lao's , cambodia but you cant really call that living. Moved to Constansia Ny in 2004 for awhile. Got home fell in love and moved to Mackay North Queensland. Now we live in Brisbane Australia but will be retiring back up north one of these days. Both Marni and i would love to move Stateside but cant see it happening in the near future.
  • g
    September 5, 2010 8:02 AM PDT
    love aberdeen scotland ,.....just get's a bit cold n wet from nov-march .
    • 1516 posts
    September 5, 2010 8:18 AM PDT
    I was born in Willtis CA moved to Kennedy Meadows CA when I was 3, then down to La Grange CA, since then: Denair, Hickman, Valley Home, Oakdale, Waterford, Riverbank. All in CA and none to far apart! Oh ya I did move to Reno NV for a couple months and to Blue OK for a couple of months too.
    • 2072 posts
    September 5, 2010 9:02 AM PDT
    Modesto, San Francisco, Visalia, Stockton, Tustin, San Diego, Porterville all in California. Kirkland, Washington and Little Rock, Arkansas. My favorite........... San Diego and Little Rock
    • 223 posts
    September 5, 2010 11:58 AM PDT
    I'm a Nomad, so this could get long...

Born in West Palm Beach, FL, moved to Okeechobee when I got adopted at the age of three months after living in six different foster homes.
    From there...

West Palm Beach, FL to Camden, IL
    Camden, IL to Palmyra, IL
    Palmyra, IL to Smithfield, IL
    Smithfield, IL to Farmer City, IL (Weedman, actually)
    Farmer City, IL to Urbana, IL
    Urbana, IL to Champaign, IL
    Champaign, IL back to Urbana, IL
    Urbana, IL back to Farmer City, IL
    Farmer City, IL to Goose Creek, SC
    Goose Creek, SC to Hanahan, SC
    Hanahan, SC to North Charleston, SC
    North Charleston, SC back to Goose Creek, SC
    Goose Creek, SC to Decatur, GA
    Decatur, GA back to North Charleston, SC
    North Charleston, SC to Sellersburg, IN
    Sellersburg, IN to Decatur, GA
    Decatur, GA to Atlanta, GA
    Atlanta, GA to Lockport, LA
    Lockport, LA to Ashdown, AR
    Ashdown, AR to Rantoul, IL
    Rantoul, IL to Ambia, IN
    Ambia, IN to Lockport, LA
    Lockport, LA to Houma, LA
    Houma, LA to Saucier, MS
    Saucier, MS to Houma, LA
    Houma, LA to Montegut, LA
    Montegut, LA to Lockport, LA
    Lockport, LA to Cairo, GA
    Cairo, GA to Montegut, LA
    Montegut, LA to Lockport, LA
    Lockport, LA to Solider, KS
    Solider, KS to Topeka, KS
    Topeka, KS to Atchison, KS
    Atchison, KS to Largo, Fl
    Largo, FL to Houma, LA
    Houma, LA to Salina, KS
    Salina, KS to Herington, KS where I am now and will stay until Ron and I no longer have a reason to leave.

I've probably forgot a few places and there were many moves within the same town (such as Smithfield, we lived in 5 different houses in 7 years), but this gives you an idea of how my fidgity my little feet can be, lol! 
    • 2072 posts
    September 5, 2010 12:20 PM PDT
    Dang Beki.............. You need to start workin' the West coast now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 223 posts
    September 5, 2010 12:35 PM PDT
    lmao, I sat and tried to count how many times I'd moved since I was born and ended with about 85, which includes house to house in the same towns.  I've been in my house for a little over a year now and that's really the longest I've spent in one place without the "urge" to move driving me absolutely nuts.  And trust me, it's a short trip!  

Maybe it's the six moves before I was three months old that got the bug in my system to move all the time, but I've never been one to stay in any particular place for very long.  I've never felt so "right" though where I am not and I haven't got the urge to run since I've been back in KS this time.  We live right next door to Ron's mom and dad and I'm three blocks from work, but don't get me wrong, there's not a moment that goes by the road's not calling me, it's just now, I have "home" to come back to when I hit the road for awhile.

• September 5, 2010 12:42 PM PDT
    Well now that I saw Beki's list I probably should just say nothing lol! Malibu,Ca,Santa Monica,Ca,West LA,Ca,Ft Dix,NJ,Ft Lee,VA,,Ft Hood,TX,Camp Casey,Alaska,San Louis Obispo,CA,Bell,CA,FT Hunter Liggett,CA,Camp Roberts,CA,Camp Humphreys,R.O.K.(Korea),Victor,MT,Hamilton,MT,Stevensville,Mt.More to follow as I have never lived in the same place as long as I have been in Montana,I am itchin to drift on! I probably missed some places but the Army sent me where they wanted and I have been out since 1992.That is starting to seem like a really long time ago!
  • September 5, 2010 2:15 PM PDT
    Lorain, Oh. Chicago,IL Youngstown, Oh Peninsula, Oh Aspen,Co Boulder,Co Santa Fe,NM Glenwood Springs,Co Key West, Fl Tyler, Tx Leone, Nicaragua Addis Abba, Ethiopia Freetown, Sierra Leone Geneva Swiz. Baku, Azerbaijan and back to this hell hole Lorain Oh
    • 1 posts
    September 5, 2010 3:44 PM PDT
    BOOF wrote...
    Was invented in Melbourne Aus,grew up in heathcote junction and wandong victoria,moved back to melbourne for work as a young bloke. Moved to kyneton central Victoria then Bendigo.Worked in south east asia for awhile.thailand, phillipines, lao's , cambodia but you cant really call that living. Moved to Constansia Ny in 2004 for awhile. Got home fell in love and moved to Mackay North Queensland. Now we live in Brisbane Australia but will be retiring back up north one of these days. Both Marni and i would love to move Stateside but cant see it happening in the near future.

Little Valley, NY.....so BOOF...   you were close.  At least a whole lot closer than you are now 
    • 58 posts
    September 5, 2010 4:43 PM PDT
    I started in Blue Hill, NE; Gothenburg, NE; Oklahoma City, OK; Basel, Belgium; Oklahoma City; Ft Leanardwood, MO; Monterey, CA; San Angelo, TX; Augsburg, Germany; Monterey, CA; Fulda, Germany; Ft Devens, MA; Monterey, CA; San Angelo, TX; DeSoto, TX; now near Tyler, TX. Uncle Sam, in the guise of the US Army, Thought I liked Monterey, or is the other way around?
    • 21 posts
    September 6, 2010 12:17 AM PDT
    haha!! not too advernturous I guess..........NJ my whole life!
  • September 6, 2010 6:05 AM PDT
    A country boy at birth in lewisburg, Ohio. A Sailor in Norfolk, Va. A student of Mechanical Engineering in Dayton, Ohio. A Mechanical / Electrical Technition in Grantsburg, Wisconsin. Retired Husband in Terrell, Texas.
    • 601 posts
    September 6, 2010 6:31 AM PDT
    Ireland, Holland, Belgium, Germany, France, Italy, Wales, Libya, Algeria, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Turkey, all work related..also spent some time in the North Sea..but I dont think "the middle of nowhere" counts as an address
  • September 6, 2010 7:53 AM PDT
    i was born in Nurnberg Germany (dad in the army) moved to Monterey CA. then to San Diego then to San Antonio then to Biloxi Ms. then to Tampa Fl then back to San Diego then to Escondido Ca. where we live now. Dream retirement would be in Joshua Tree Ca or somewhere close by
    • 0 posts
    September 6, 2010 8:06 AM PDT
    Cathy wrote...
    BOOF wrote...

Little Valley, NY.....so BOOF...   you were close.  At least a whole lot closer than you are now 
     Seems that way Cath...never been so bloody cold ever in my entire life.........Never again.
    • 1 posts
    September 6, 2010 3:41 PM PDT
    BOOF wrote...
    Cathy wrote...
    BOOF wrote...

Seems that way Cath...never been so bloody cold ever in my entire life.........Never again.

Remember....lake effect is not your friend 
    • 1161 posts
    September 6, 2010 6:57 PM PDT
    I was born in Fayetteville, NC. 
    Then to Salem, OR.  to Lacy, WA.
    Then to Fort Rucker, AL. To Roseburg, OR.

Then I joined the Army and went to.
    Basic and A.I.T.  in Fort Lennardwood, MO.  (Fort Lost in the woods)
    Then to Fort Benning, GA. for Airborne School.
    First Duty Station was Fort Bragg, NC.
    Went to Lake Mills, WI. to Watertown, WI.
    And now im currently in Valdosta, GA.
    I plain on moving back more north just have not desided where to but I miss the North West.
    • 58 posts
    September 7, 2010 4:00 AM PDT
    hgsc90 wrote...
    A country boy at birth in lewisburg, Ohio. A Sailor in Norfolk, Va. A student of Mechanical Engineering in Dayton, Ohio. A Mechanical / Electrical Technition in Grantsburg, Wisconsin. Retired Husband in Terrell, Texas.

Howdy, Neighbor.  I live in the middle of the Canton, Athens, Tyler triangle.
  • September 8, 2010 12:06 AM PDT
    Born and raised in North Dakota - lived all over the state of ND working and teaching. Moved to Oklahoma panhandle in the fall of '09 to take the teaching position here at the college
  • September 8, 2010 4:14 AM PDT
    Born in No. Calif.
    Moved to Okla at 5
    No. Carolina at 16
    Back to Okla at 16
    Texas, Arkansas, Louisana, California at the age of 19
    Las Vegas, NV at 23
    Back to Calif at 25

Came out here to CA with welder friends working on shut down at the neucler plant in San Clemente. Went back to Okla for about 5 weeks but wanted to come back to CA. No family, no friends except one person I met when I was here previously. I knocked on their door and asked if they remembered me. They said "yes" and I said good I don't know anybody here in CA and would like to stay with you for a while. Been here ever since other than a brief stay in Las Vegas, NV 

My Mom is Cherokee Indian and I was raised literally at the end of the "Trail of Tears" for the Oklahoma band of Cherokees.  Though I'm also English and Irish I was raised more in my Cherokee heritage.  Try being a blond hair, blue eyed Indian in Indian Territory....little resentment towards me.  I'm sure because of the past.  Something about Custard and Andrew "Asshole" Jackson.....I just told them "I wasn't there".  

I'm sure most people don't realize just how far in the "sticks" I was raised. Grandma just got electricity. A light bulb hanging down from the ceiling. We didn't have running water or an indoor bathroom, drew our water from a well, took a bath in a tub with water heated on the wood stove and of course the smelly outhouse. When they say the cow gets in the corn field....it does.   Grew up picking wild blackberries for grandma to bake a pie, catching crawdads, playing hide and seek on horseback, fishing and hunting. I learned how to shoot it, clean it and cook it...rabbit, squrrill, fish, whatever made a meal. My stepdad was the milk man who picked up the fresh milk from the dairies. Would cross through the fields (shortcut) to go to the store and have to climb a tree or get in a tunnel to hid from the bull that would often chase us, sometimes hours.... Lived with a family that only had running water to do dishes (go figure), had to ride dirt bikes to the creek to take our bath.  Started driving and working at the age of 12. We would take our cars to a parking lot and slide in circles when it was icy trying to miss the concrete lightpoles. Dive off the bridges for tourist, jump out of trees missing the boulders in the water, jumping or diving off cliffs, climbing the local hills and watching the sunset from the mountian tops.  Aww, those were the days of youth. Really miss the backwoods of Okla, the rivers and lakes, no traffic or smog, but mostly family.

But life here in Ca is good also.  Other than the obvious...traffic, smog, taxes, bad economy, etc.  Married, children and established business and mostly great weather.

No complaints