Ride to a song title or lyric

• 19007 posts
    April 1, 2009 1:13 PM PDT

OK, Do you think it would be interesting to ride to a destination that is a song title or a location that is in the lyrics of a song. Actually I have done some of this and find it to be fun.

So help me out and tell me where you would like to go with the song and artist.

I.E. Snowin' on Ratone, Townes Van Zandt (Ratone Pass CO / NM)

Statesboro Blues, Allman Brothers Band (Statesboro GA) auth Blind Willie McBride

The Weight, The Band (pulled into Nazareth, I was feelin' about half passed dead...)

• April 7, 2009 4:58 PM PDT
    Well some day I believe I will be riding "The Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zepplin. Some places I ride "I Can See For Miles" by The Who And ALWAYS seems on my long journey's I'm "Against the Wind" by Bob Seger...
    • 46 posts
    April 10, 2009 3:18 AM PDT

Me and the bike have been

Out in the West Texas Town of El Paso

but none of the rest of the song came true

I fell in love with a Mexican girl.
    Night-time would find me in Rosa's cantina;
    Music would play and Felina would whirl.

• 19007 posts
    April 10, 2009 3:25 AM PDT
    Wow, that is a good one I missed and Marty Robbins is one of my favorites.

Speaking of Texas, "Let's go to Lukenbach Texas" - Waylon
  • May 7, 2009 1:10 PM PDT
    missed a turn one day and ended up standing on a corner in winslow arizona
    • 19007 posts
    May 8, 2009 5:38 AM PDT
    loudpipes98 wrote...
    missed a turn one day and ended up standing on a corner in winslow arizona

OK Trivia, who wrote it and who is the voice (dont just  say Eagles) & what is the real name of the song

Gonna pass that statue this summer.

• 5419 posts
    May 8, 2009 8:59 AM PDT
    The name of the song is Take It Easy and it was written by Jackson Browne and Glenn Frey and sung by Frey.

• 5419 posts
    May 8, 2009 9:04 AM PDT
    I usually find myself singing the Beach Boy's Surfing USA as I ride up or down the coast...

Youd catch em surfin at del mar
    Ventura county line
    Santa cruz and trestle
    Australias narabine
    All over manhattan
    And down doheny way

Haggerties and swamies
    Pacific palisades
    San anofree and sunset
    Redondo beach l.a.
    All over la jolla
    At waimia bay

I have actually riden thru every one of those in the same day on many occassion, except Narabine, Swamies & Waimia Bay.
    • 19007 posts
    May 9, 2009 12:04 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    The name of the song is Take It Easy and it was written by Jackson Browne and Glenn Frey and sung by Frey.

OK 20 points for you Lucky!
    • 1 posts
    May 12, 2009 3:25 AM PDT
    The Devil Went Down to Georgia (we became best friends)
  • May 15, 2009 1:09 AM PDT
    Wolfcreek Pass by C.W. McCall

Been over Wolfcreek many times by car, camper and eighteen wheeler, but not on a bike (yet). If you've been there you get the true meaning of the song.
    • 19007 posts
    May 18, 2009 11:55 AM PDT
    Knowhoweman wrote...

Been over Wolfcreek many times by car, camper and eighteen wheeler, but not on a bike (yet). If you've been there you get the true meaning of the song.

Knowhowman
    I like that song a lot. " ...uh Earl you wanna screw that thing on..." In fact it is on my MP3. I have wanted to find it for some time. Can you tell me where it is? Maybe I can see it on the Ride For Sophie.
    Thanks,
    Mike
  • May 19, 2009 2:28 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    Knowhoweman wrote...

Knowhowman
    I like that song a lot. " ...uh Earl you wanna screw that thing on..." In fact it is on my MP3. I have wanted to find it for some time. Can you tell me where it is? Maybe I can see it on the Ride For Sophie.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Wolfcreek Pass (11900 feet at the summit)  is in south central Colorado.in the San Juan Mountains. It is the route through which U.S. Highway 160 passes from the San Luis Valley into southwest Colorado on its way to New Mexico and Arizona.  On the south end of the route is Pagosa Springs and on the north end is South Fork.  Here is some more information for the area....Wolf Creek Pass, once a two-lane road winding through the San Juan Mountains between South Fork, Colorado and Pagosa Springs, has recently been expanded into a multi-lane highway, greatly increasing the traffic capacity of the pass and making it more navigable in bad weather. It will also become the easiest access to southwest Colorado from the rest of the state, as all remaining overland routes require a lengthy detours through New Mexico or over Lizard Head Pass, near Telluride, or the intimidating Red Mountain Pass: a two-lane road winding along sheer cliffs from Ouray to Silverton.
    • 19007 posts
    May 19, 2009 2:56 AM PDT
    Great! Rt 160 is already on my route. I looked closer and see where "downtown Pagosa Springs" is. Psyched now for one more of my bucket list items to be checked off. Thanks!
  • May 21, 2009 4:30 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    Great! Rt 160 is already on my route. I looked closer and see where "downtown Pagosa Springs" is. Psyched now for one more of my bucket list items to be checked off. Thanks!

Hey Mike,  If you get the chance you should make the run over Lizard Head and Red Mountain Passes.  Next to the Tetons, I think this is probably the most beautiful part of America, but I might be a little bias since most of my childhood was spent in that part of the country.
  • May 21, 2009 4:34 AM PDT
    Another entry if that's ok:

I've Been Everywhere by Hank Snow

I haven't really been EVERYWHERE but I have been from California in the west to Michigan in the east. From the Mexican border in the south into Canada on the north.  Not just passing thru most of it, but actually stuck around most of it for a while at least.  Actually lived in New Mexico (several times), Utah (twice), Colorado (twice), Wyoming, California, Arizona (3 times), Nevada (3 times), Missouri, Kansas, Michigan (twice), Illinois.
    • 19007 posts
    May 21, 2009 12:32 PM PDT
    "I've been everywhere"  is on the list. Actually that is the song sparked the idea for this forum topic.
    My USAF career, and 7 years as a main frame computer tech allowed me to travel also. Already been in every state, at least for an overnight, and probably about 8 foreign countries. Soon to get all the lower 48 under two wheels. Don't know if I will make it to the Tetons but I will try. Logan Pass and Going to the Sun Road is on the TOP of my list. If my time allows I will travel down that way. Thanks for the pointers.
    Do you know where Grapevine Hill is. SO CA I think? It is in the song Hot Rod Lincoln.
  • May 22, 2009 12:02 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    "I've been everywhere"  is on the list. Actually that is the song sparked the idea for this forum topic.
    My USAF career, and 7 years as a main frame computer tech allowed me to travel also. Already been in every state, at least for an overnight, and probably about 8 foreign countries. Soon to get all the lower 48 under two wheels. Don't know if I will make it to the Tetons but I will try. Logan Pass and Going to the Sun Road is on the TOP of my list. If my time allows I will travel down that way. Thanks for the pointers.
    Do you know where Grapevine Hill is. SO CA I think? It is in the song Hot Rod Lincoln.

Hey Dog, I didn't see this on the list.   As far as Grapevine Hill, it is north of L.A. through Tejon Pass in the Tehachapi Mountains at the southern end of the San Joaquin Valley along Interstate 5 (formerly U.S. Route 99).
  • June 2, 2009 6:50 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    I usually find myself singing the Beach Boy's Surfing USA as I ride up or down the coast...

Youd catch em surfin at del mar
    Ventura county line
    Santa cruz and trestle
    Australias narabine
    All over manhattan
    And down doheny way

Haggerties and swamies
    Pacific palisades
    San anofree and sunset
    Redondo beach l.a.
    All over la jolla
    At waimia bay

I have actually riden thru every one of those in the same day on many occassion, except Narabine, Swamies & Waimia Bay.
    Haven't done 'em all in one day, but I have been to all the ones you mentioned.
    • 1516 posts
    July 28, 2009 9:34 AM PDT

Summertime Blues -

Well I'm a- gonna raise a fuss, I'm a- gonna raise a holler
    I've been a- workin' all summer just to try to earn a dollar
    Tried to get the car bike go out on a date
    The boss says "No dice son, you gotta work late"
    Sometimes I wonder what I'm a- gonna do
    But there ain't no cure for the summertime blues

Thats seems to be my motto for this summer

But in past summers I have rode to:

Mexico - James Taylor
    Margarittaville - Jimmy Buffet
    Come Monday- Jimmy Buffet - Heading out to San Francisco for the Labor Day Weekend show
    Forgot to add
    Stuck in Lodi again - CCR
    We made up a song... took us Two days to Tulare,, we only live 60 miles away.

Just thought of another one.. Take me to the River - Foghat... Been to several rivers, one of my favorite destinations not matter what river it is.
    La Grange - ZZ Top
    • 5 posts
    July 28, 2009 1:10 PM PDT
    I ride to "Easy Livin" by Uriah Heep
    • 190 posts
    December 30, 2009 9:41 PM PST
    Man, I'd love to make that trip into Nazareth and Winslow,Az. You guys are allright with me!
    • 19007 posts
    December 30, 2009 11:20 PM PST
    SingSing wrote...
    Man, I'd love to make that trip into Nazareth and Winslow,Az. You guys are allright with me!

You would also like the trip to "Paradise". I did it on my "Ride for Sohpie" last summer.  Paradise is a town in WV from a song of the same name by John Prine.

Actually I hit several song rides on that trip,
    The Weight - The Band (pulled into Nazareth)
    Paradise-John Prine,
    Statesboro Blues-Blind Willie McTell (made famous by Allman Bros),
    Snowin on Ratone-Townes VanZandt  (no snow though),
    Wolfcreek Pass-CW McCall,
    Monteagle Mountain-Johnny Cash,
    Deadwood Mountain-Big and Rich

• 2 posts
    January 13, 2010 10:01 AM PST
    Never listen to tunes while riding - but the one that plays between my ears is "Against the Wind".
    "Deadlines & commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out . . ."

Before that it was Lightfoot's "Early Morning Rain"
    • 190 posts
    January 13, 2010 12:52 PM PST
    .." mama always said not to look into the eyes of the sun...but mama..thats whrer the fun is...'
    -Elton john