Riddles for y'all

• 19007 posts
    September 28, 2010 11:46 PM PDT
    hgsc90 wrote...
    I wasn't good at the game because I didn't have a CLUE..!!

I had to work on this one too Howard. Key here is placement of the watch...but I struggled trying to use the digits on a phone dial/keypad. Then I tried the months. VIOLA...  Way too much time was spent on this one.

Jason McCubbins, Ray's business partner did it.
    The calendar is the clue to solving this murder. The police realized that since Mr. Whitcombe was wearing his watch on his right arm, he must be left handed. But the pen was found in his right hand. Realizing that the number on the calendar was written in a hurry and with his opposite hand, police matched the written number with the months of the year. So the B was an 8, thereby giving us 7-8-9-10-11: July, August, September, October, November. Use the first letter of each month and it spells J-A-S-O-N.

And for another one...

A woman walked into an office building, looked at the guard, and said her name was Jenny. The next day she walked into the same building, looked at the same guard and said her name was Julie. On the third day yet again she walked into the same office building and announced to the same guard that he name was Jodie. What is going on?

• September 29, 2010 12:37 AM PDT
    Pass word..?? security
    • 76 posts
    September 29, 2010 1:12 AM PDT
    They're triplets And just for the record, I'm left handed and I wear my watch on my left arm lol---never would have got that one anyway!!!
    • 19007 posts
    September 30, 2010 2:03 AM PDT
    A couple of good answers but not the right one...

The woman has Multiple Personality Disorder. This happens when a traumatic experience causes so much pain that they make another personality to cope with the situation.

Now for a little easier one...

How many times can you subtract the number 5 from 25?

• 5419 posts
    September 30, 2010 2:48 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...

Now for a little easier one...

I'll go with .  You can subtract 5 from 25 forever, after five times you will be getting negative numbers.

• September 30, 2010 3:08 AM PDT
    Oh Please..First Grade Math..I am smarter than a Fifth Grader..maybe once
    • 76 posts
    September 30, 2010 3:29 AM PDT
    I'm with Lucky on this one
    • 75 posts
    September 30, 2010 11:38 AM PDT
    You can only subtract it once. After that you'd be subtracting 5 from 20, and so on and so on...
  • September 30, 2010 11:46 AM PDT
    Holy sheot...Stumped...but stll thinking...hhmm....
    • 19007 posts
    October 1, 2010 12:33 AM PDT
    ATTA BOYs go to Howard and  Nofrets...

Only once after that the number is 20.

Now for a CSI style mystery...

Dave and Brad, two popular politicians, met at a club to discuss the overthrow of their party leader. They each ordered a vodka on the rocks. Brad downed his and ordered another. He then drank his second in a gulp and decided to wait before he ordered a third. Meanwhile, Dave, who was sipping his drink, suddenly fell forward dead. Both men were setup for an assassination. Why did Dave die and Brad live?

• October 1, 2010 1:33 AM PDT
      The solution is in dilution.     
    • 75 posts
    October 1, 2010 4:15 AM PDT
    So the poison isn't in the booze - it must be in the ice... Brad drinks his drinks before the ice can melt.
    • 19007 posts
    October 2, 2010 12:11 AM PDT
    WOW it looks like I'm gonna have to find harder riddles. Youse guys is too smart!

Both Dave and Brad were given drinks with poisoned ice cubes. Brad drank his drinks so quickly that the ice didn't have time to melt and release the poison.

OK figure me this one...

If you divide thirty by 1/2 and add 10 what would you have?

• 75 posts
    October 2, 2010 5:36 PM PDT
    • 19007 posts
    October 3, 2010 1:12 AM PDT
    You are rigth no frets.

30 / .5 = 60 + 10 = 70

OK this one should be a bit more difficult...

Grandma has an old-fashioned refrigerator with a very small freezer compartment which can hold up to seven ice cube trays stacked, but there are no shelves to separate the trays. You have fifteen trays, each of which can make a dozen cubes, but if you stand one tray on top of another before it's frozen, it will sink into the lower tray and you won't get full cubes from the lower tray. Without using anything but water and the ice cube trays, what is the fastest way to make full ice cubes in seven trays?

• 75 posts
    October 3, 2010 12:46 PM PDT
    I'm not sure how how a tray can sink into another unless each tray only makes one giant ice cube; however, that seems unlikely given the fact that each tray can "make a dozen cubes." The instructions don't tell us we can add anything between the trays and it also says we have 15 trays. I think that's in there to throw us off since that's way more trays than we need. I would freeze one tray, take the 12 ice cubes out and put 2 ice cubes in opposing corners in each of 6 trays to keep the tray above from "sinking." The 7th tray on top would not require any ice cubes since there is nothing above it to stabilize; therefore, you could make 7 full trays of ice in the time it would take to freeze the trays just twice.

Now... If the trays have the ability to "sink" into the tray below, then adding water to the trays that have the 2 stabilizing ice cubes in them would partially melt the ice cubes (and screw my theory altogether) by allowing the top 6 trays to sink slightly into (and freeze to) the tray below thereby making no trays truly full.  
  • October 3, 2010 2:18 PM PDT
    If your supporting ice cubes are stacked directly on each other in the trays, they would prevent the ice melt as the water freezes in the other sections of the trays. I agree with you.
    • 19007 posts
    October 4, 2010 1:06 AM PDT
    Howard and Nofrets, I agree with you on the ambiguity of the riddle but you all were on the right track.

So here is their answer and the next one...

This can be accomplished by using frozen cubes as spacers to hold the trays apart. In the time it takes to freeze two trays, seven trays of ice can be frozen. Fill one tray, freeze it and remove the cubes. Place two cubes in the opposite corners of six trays, and fill the rest with water. Freeze all six trays, plus the seventh tray which is on top.

There is a certain with both girl and boy children. Each of the boys has the same number of brothers as he has sisters. Each of the girls has twice as many brothers as she has sisters. How many boys and girls are there in this family?

• 76 posts
    October 4, 2010 2:34 AM PDT
    Holy hell -- you guys make my head spin!! lol As for the brothers and sisters, I'm gonna say 2 boys and 1 girl....but then again, I've already proven that I'm NOT smarter than a 5th grader!
  • October 4, 2010 9:02 AM PDT
       4 boys and 3 girls and they the family perform as a soft ball team. They ride a bus everywhere they go...  

• 75 posts
    October 4, 2010 10:26 AM PDT
    Howard is right on the money!
    • 19007 posts
    October 5, 2010 2:57 AM PDT
    Once again you two did it!

Four boys and three girls.

Ok here is a bus riddle...

There is a bus full of people traveling through San Francisco and no one gets off the bus throughout the journey. But when it gets to the other side there is not a single person left. How is this possible?

• October 5, 2010 4:04 AM PDT
    Was it a Wedding Bus?
    • 5419 posts
    October 5, 2010 5:00 AM PDT
    There wasn't a single person left 'cause everyone on the bus was married.
    • 75 posts
    October 5, 2010 11:38 AM PDT
    Everyone is married... that makes the most sense!