Searching for the right bike.

• 1161 posts
    August 31, 2010 8:41 AM PDT
    I have a really good idea of what I want and what I parts and exc.  But with my back problems I have yet to ride the bike I'm looking at getting.   My first choice is a (2011) FatBob with a bunch of extras (to black it out).  Second is 2011 Fatboy Lo with a few added parts.  Third is the 2010 Crossbones also lowered and a few parts added.  So would you recommend takeing the 2 or 3 I'm looking at for a ride to make sure my back problems will not be a factor for getting it,  before I price them with labor and parts exc? 

Any Thoughts Welcome!
  • August 31, 2010 8:43 AM PDT
    most definately. you try shoes on first right?
    • 1161 posts
    August 31, 2010 8:52 AM PDT
    No, I order them online,  But I know what works for me.
    • 846 posts
    August 31, 2010 9:08 AM PDT
    Have you test riden any of them yet? I would and to narrow it down further you may want to rent one for a day or two and put it through it paces. I did that before buy my RK. Out of the three I've riden a fatboy and test ridden a crossbones. Those two have the same suspension Crossbones and Fatboy (remember the lo has a inch take out of the rear suspension i think) but the Crossbones has the solo seat with the springs which take a little more of the road out of the ride. In any case test riding would be your best bet.
    Just my mindless ramblings.
    • 352 posts
    August 31, 2010 9:41 AM PDT
    I would def. suggest riding them all - maybe even renting the model you liked the best for a weekend to get a real feel for it - you're gonna spend a good buck on it either way you go, last thing you want is to not be comfortable on it.
    • 1161 posts
    August 31, 2010 7:23 PM PDT
    dang, I never thought about renting it for the weekend Thank you for the input! I'm going to rent them before I make my choice!
  • August 31, 2010 11:09 PM PDT
    for myself I like the crossbones and the fatboy lo, but that's just me you got to get something that fits your needs
  • August 31, 2010 11:56 PM PDT
    i would get a heritage softail....cause its just like a fat boy...but you get a windshield that comes off, plus sattle bags for them long trips, and it is about the same ride as a fatboy....cause if ya do get the fat boy, 9 times out of 10 you will be buying all this stuff for the fat boy anyways that the herutage already comes with.....and make sure you buy a black one cause its cheaper and later on down the road you can always have it repainted to your likeing....
    • 1509 posts
    September 1, 2010 12:14 AM PDT
    The price rang that you are in and the back problems I would also concider a roadkig custom or whatever they are calling it this year or an electraglide standard the air suspension is awesome compaired to the coilover suspension on the softtails and dyna.
    • 19046 posts
    September 1, 2010 12:32 AM PDT
    There is a lot of good input here, everything the masters before me have said I can only echo, especially the renting part.
  • September 1, 2010 2:45 AM PDT
    How long has it been since your last ride? Nothing hurts worse than dropping your dream ride. A smaller used bike for the first ride or RE training bike can also be used to expirement with what you want later. It can also be traded or sold to get the dream ride.
    • 1509 posts
    September 1, 2010 3:00 AM PDT
    this weekend is try a bike weekend at our local hd dealerships check out yours for their schedule. renting is expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 5420 posts
    September 1, 2010 3:10 AM PDT
    Tifton Harley Davidson claims on their website to have FREE test rides everyday, and they are just 50 miles up the road from you...

http://www.tiftonharley.com/ style="color: rgb(0, 0, 128);">

P.S. While you're there, tell them they need a profile on CycleFish
    • 1161 posts
    February 18, 2012 4:30 PM PST
    TACO wrote...
    i would get a heritage softail....cause its just like a fat boy...but you get a windshield that comes off, plus sattle bags for them long trips, and it is about the same ride as a fatboy....cause if ya do get the fat boy, 9 times out of 10 you will be buying all this stuff for the fat boy anyways that the herutage already comes with.....and make sure you buy a black one cause its cheaper and later on down the road you can always have it repainted to your likeing....

Dang never thought of that!  Nice idea Taco!
    • 1161 posts
    February 18, 2012 4:38 PM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    Tifton Harley Davidson claims on their website to have FREE test rides everyday, and they are just 50 miles up the road from you...

http://www.tiftonharley.com/ style="color: rgb(0, 0, 128);">

P.S. While you're there, tell them they need a profile on CycleFish

Every time I go there I tell them that!  I even handed out cards (after a year I quit trying) 
    As for their free test rides it is a joke you have to wright a check out to get a ride and if you want it they keep the check and if you don't they rip it and hand it back to you.  I have been asking who near me dose demo rides but it is either Atlanta or Orlando and Daytona.  As for renting a bike the closest to me is Daytona as well.  But  been looking at the Victory bikes because those I can ride before I chose the one I want to get.

• February 24, 2012 11:45 PM PST
    Well Sneakers since bike week is around the coner, try the demp rides. All the manufactors will be at the Race track and offer demos. Each manufatctor has one two two of each modle to try. I will suggest no lowering a bike because of your back pain/injuries.as the suspension will be "crunched" if you will when you do so.Meaning that the suspension will bottom out before a non lowered bike. This mean in the end the little bumps and such will his harder and be more jaring in the end.Lowering also decrease the lean angle as well. I suggest trying all of them out, every bike you can, don't get stuck on its got to be a Harley or I won't be cool, that's nonsense, a person rides what they ride for many factors some money, maintance , ride comfort, preformance, gas milage, user friendlyts. Its about what best suits your all over needs that's important not what anyone else thinks. With back issue some might chose the Hona 1500 for its only a 100 lbs lighter than a fatboy, but that 100 lbs makes a difference when your picking it up, wrestling it abournd slow manuvers, or just rolling it around in the garage. Screw everyone else, this about you and your comfortable body, pocket and freedom os soul. have agreat one! "T"
    • 1161 posts
    February 25, 2012 8:24 AM PST
    By the way there is no N in my name. ;-).

I have a Honda CM400T but it is still small but fun around town. But I am limited on distance I can ride because of my back, and I'm short as for chooseing a bike I'm always looking for the BBD (Bigger, Better, Deal) but I don't want to give up my 400 any time soon either. The older models are getting harder to come buy in desent rideable and repairable shape for low price. I have heard some of the guys and gals complain about regretting selling their first bike. So I'm thinking about just hanging on to it. But I'm still on the look for another bike as well the reason I was and am looking at Harley-Davidson because it is more my style and the driver can get a back rest when ordering the bike, and not just in the aftermarket. And I don't want a huge bagger either may be some day but not right now.
  • February 25, 2012 11:18 AM PST
    sorry there seakers, have you tried a gel seat? or gel seat pad throwover? they reduce a lot of the littler bumps and vibrations, I don't know I was happy to get ride of my first bike affter16 years, of an Adios Mother F____r, I had more than enough fun and games at 37. my body was pretty abused from my job and the sportster wasn't helping, so I bought a Dyna Lowrider 02 I think the seat height that year was 25", it was better than the 77 by far but not nearly as smooth as a softail, or as comfortable as a tourer. If your buying used, espically harley and the bike is over 5 years you'll end up getting a new t has something to do with the foam material that they use, it begings to break down or something, I'm not exactly sure how it wears out but that's the secret scoop on em. have a great day! "T"
    • 5420 posts
    February 25, 2012 11:59 AM PST
    I've had some lower back problems for years. The Gel seat pad really does relieve some lower back pain. Also may want to try riding with a back brace. Even with my cushy seat, gel pad and back rest, when my back decides to act up a long day in the saddle can get uncomfortable. I use just a cheapo elastic back brace I got at the drug store and it really helps. I think some of it may be that it reminds me to sit with a better posture and not slouch in the seat so much.
    • 1161 posts
    February 25, 2012 12:03 PM PST
    Thanks the seat I have is fine but I don't have any back support to rest on sitting strait up puts more pressure on my spine just above my hips and to lean back on something helps a lot, but even tho I will still need new handlebars to make it more comfortable to ride as well. Ya I can relate to being abused with my body, but i just worry about what I will be like if I'm still around at 50+ when I feel like this at 35.