Internet Browsers

• 223 posts
    September 8, 2010 11:49 AM PDT
    I use Firefox with the Palemoon add-in. Much faster than plain FF, crashes less than IE, and I don't worry about the security issues with it.
    • 5420 posts
    September 8, 2010 12:20 PM PDT
    Security Issues?  FireFox has a lot less security issues than IE by far.  Since IE incorporates so many features, whether you need them or not, it leaves the browser more open to security problems.  Plus Mozilla is much faster at releasing security updates then Microsift has ever been.

If security is a concern, then that is just another reason to use FireFox!
    • 223 posts
    September 8, 2010 12:23 PM PDT
    Exactly Lucky, I've been using FF for years, tried Google Chrome, but wasn't impressed at all. Can't stand IE, never could, although it was a lot better than Netscape back in the day, lol!
    • 19052 posts
    September 8, 2010 1:58 PM PDT
    I too went to FireFox when this first showed up in the forums and have used it exclusively since. There was one time I had to use IE. When I bought the new PC with windows seven there were some download trouble when getting all of my drivers from the manufacturer's sites. As I remember I couldn't get PhotoShop CS4 to work until at Adobe's suggestion I use IE for the download. I did and PhotoShop installed perfectly. My FireFox has been upgraded since that time and I haven't noticed any problems recently.
  • November 23, 2010 1:54 AM PST
    I too went to FireFox when I saw this, but now I am having some problems with FireFox shutting down occasionally. Anyone else having this problem?
    • 834 posts
    November 23, 2010 2:04 AM PST
    I run Firefox only and have no problems with it.  Do you have the latest version?  You can check here...

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/ />
    • 834 posts
    November 23, 2010 2:06 AM PST
    You may also want to check and make sure you have all the latest updates for your version of Windows. You can check that by going to Microsoft.com and clicking on Updates.

Once you have everything up to date, should work fine.
    • 5420 posts
    November 23, 2010 3:20 AM PST
    Same here, I use FireFox exclusively (except to check the website in other browsers) and NEVER have any problems. As I stated in the original post, in my opinion FireFox is much more stable than any of the other browsers out there. I would take AZ's advice and be sure you are using the latest version of FireFox, you may even want to re-download it if you are just in case there was a problem with recent updates.
    • 58 posts
    November 23, 2010 6:46 AM PST
    I have been using mozilla since before it was mozilla...Netscape Navigator 3.xx. That would be back to '95/'96.
    • 5420 posts
    May 6, 2011 3:09 AM PDT
    A new version of FireFox was just released - v4.0.1. If you haven't upgraded to the new version - DO IT!

FireFox has always performed better than Internet Explorer, now the newest version is even faster. You are going to be amazed at how fast web pages load with this new version!

Of course they moved a few of the buttons and changed the top bar a little, so it will take a bit to get used to where everything is... but more than worth it.

You can get the latest version here...
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/fx/
    • 19052 posts
    May 7, 2011 1:01 AM PDT
    Hey Lucky, I did that and do like it. There is one negative (for me at least) and that is my bank does not support it just yet for internet banking. So I have to use Safari on Mac or 3.58 on netbook. Minor but something to know.
    • 834 posts
    September 21, 2011 9:46 AM PDT
    Don't know if anyone using Firefox has upgraded to 6.0, but if you haven't... don't. As a matter of fact the last good version was 4. I used to swear by Firefox over Internet Explorer, now the last two versions (5&6) have had more problems than I have ever seen from the company. The newesst version of Internet explorer runs circles around it!
  • September 21, 2011 10:44 AM PDT
    AzRider wrote...
    Don't know if anyone using Firefox has upgraded to 6.0, but if you haven't... don't. As a matter of fact the last good version was 4. I used to swear by Firefox over Internet Explorer, now the last two versions (5&6) have had more problems than I have ever seen from the company. The newesst version of Internet explorer runs circles around it!

That's interesting.  I switched from IE 9 to FireFox 6.0.2 and can't get over how much better my system is running.  Running IE 9, I was forever getting hung up on websites, getting messages saying that IE had encountered a problem and needed to shut down, etc., etc.  Once I switched to FireFox 6, all those problems went away.  Haven't had hardly any problems with it, and didn't find the layout of the browser to be all that different than IE, so the learning curve was minimal.  I'll never go back to IE.

• 9 posts
    September 21, 2011 11:06 AM PDT
    Been using firefox for close to three years, only had issue's with one computer, and that was the age of the computer which contributed to that crash. That and Avast security systems. Not one issue...awesome.
    Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 5420 posts
    September 22, 2011 4:40 AM PDT
    I'm still kind of up in the air about the new Firefox (5&6). Yes the performance is great, but a few of the features have been left out and some of the functionality is missing. Probably doesn't matter too much for the average user simply browsing, but AZ I know you are in the IT field and probably noticed the same things I did.

I personally still use both but have been leaning more toward Internet Explorer lately. Hopefully Mozilla can get some of the bugs out of Firefox 6 real soon.
  • September 22, 2011 5:40 AM PDT
    A quick thumbs up tor Google's Chrome from me. Not only does it open multiple websites at the same time (I have 4 sites listed as my start page, it opens each in a different tab), it also spell checks as you type, and has one feature I haven't seen in any other browser ... if you use a computer at work and another at home, it will sync anything you add to your bookmarks (favorites) so that you have them in both locations.

While I agree it is a little buggy, I drive it pretty hard and it only occasionally crashes on me, usually due to a third party app like Shockwave or something.
  • October 27, 2011 7:51 AM PDT
    I use Firefox and I used to have it to where it opened multiple pages on startup, but I got the new version and no can't figure out how to do it.

Any help?
    • 19052 posts
    October 27, 2011 10:01 AM PDT
    Hi Toni,
    I found it under Firefox preferences in the 'Firefox' menu on Mac. Not sure where it is on windows based system but I'd look for the word preferences.
    • 5420 posts
    October 31, 2011 2:53 AM PDT
    Tony, Click the Firefox button, then Options. Under the General tab you will see a box for Home Page.  If you want to open multiple pages on start-up in separate tabs separate the pages with the | ( shift \\ )

Example if you wanted CycleFish,Google and Yahoo to open in three tabs when you start Firefox, enter...

http://www.cyclefish.com|http://www.google.com|http://www.yahoo.com />
    Hope that helps.
    • 5420 posts
    February 7, 2012 3:10 AM PST
    Note on Firefox... If you are experiencing a slight delay when opening pages when using Firefox, make sure you have the absolute latest updates. There was an update that came out not too long ago that tends to slow down the loading of pages... especially if they have a lot of images on them.

To get the latest updates go to...
    http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/ style="font-size: larger;"> . When the page comes up it will either say Updates Available or Your Firefox is up to date.

If it says Your Firefox is up to date and you have still having issues with pages running slower than they used to, click on the green button the says Download Firefox on the bottom left of that page. This will overwrite your existing Firefox with a fresh up to date version. Don't worry you won't loose anything like bookmarks, history, etc.
    • 834 posts
    February 7, 2012 5:09 AM PST
    Thanks Lucky, updated mine but can't tell the difference because my wireless connection is slow anyway
    • 9 posts
    February 7, 2012 10:45 PM PST
    Dang Lucky...it's awesome to have a built in expert with all this "puter" stuff. I am a "techie-tard", and your tutorials and suggestions are so easy to follow. Most people who've tried to show me stuff, get frustrated and walk away cause I'm not "getting it". Cool thing is, with YOU...I "GET IT"!!!

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 1855 posts
    February 7, 2012 11:49 PM PST
    Tweek wrote...
    Dang Lucky...it's awesome to have a built in expert with all this "puter" stuff. I am a "techie-tard", and your tutorials and suggestions are so easy to follow. Most people who've tried to show me stuff, get frustrated and walk away cause I'm not "getting it". Cool thing is, with YOU...I "GET IT"!!!

Ride Free
    Tweek

Yeah and he can't just "walk away" either.

Peace
  • February 8, 2012 1:39 AM PST
    Hey all does ff have a privacy browsing or incagnito mode. Also can you send a web link directly to your email program w/o copy & pasting it. Im not home now to try it but wanted to ask before i do. Using a tablet with no spell check lol so fogive the misspelling lol. Thanks guys
    • 5420 posts
    February 8, 2012 2:13 AM PST
    Joey, Firefox does have advance private browse setting that doesn't record any of the sites you visit in "browser history"

To email a link in Firefox (or most browsers for that matter) all you need to do is click and hold a link on any webpage and drag it to an email message. Basically reduce the size of your browser window so its not full screen. Open a new email message so you can see both windows at once and then just drag the link into the email and drop it.