Internet Browsers

• 846 posts
    February 8, 2012 5:56 AM PST
    I've been using Chrome for a month or two. Was using IE due to the company I work for has it as the standard and its there laptop. But it became more slow as they started to lock it down and add restrictions. Since most of my work is web based this added hours of time to each day. So some of us started to us Chrome and have switched except when the were required to. The reason and this is the kicker is some of our internal search engines work best and where developed for Chrome then ported to IE. Chrome has been working out ok so far as I'm view this site now using Chrome.
  • February 8, 2012 6:28 AM PST
    Thanks for the reply, i have been using cromeznx for the most part it works ok. Didnt realize i could drag the web link. I like the private browser part as well fo credit cardand bank stuff.
    Thanks again. Great site.
    • 3006 posts
    April 24, 2014 12:53 PM PDT
    Just came across this post,and was wondering what everyone is using now for a web browser.
    Thinking of switching over to Chrome or Firefox. Are there any new viable alternatives?
    • 5420 posts
    April 24, 2014 1:23 PM PDT
    Still nothing but FireFox for me. I use the others only occasionally to make sure the website is working in all browsers and the first thing I notice is how much faster FireFox delivers web pages.
    • 3006 posts
    April 25, 2014 3:30 AM PDT
    Thanks Lucky.Sounds like Firefox is the way to go.
  • April 25, 2014 7:42 AM PDT
    Hey Lucky..... would firefox help me...? I'm using windows XP, AOL and dial-up...?
    • 5420 posts
    April 25, 2014 9:48 AM PDT
    Nope. Sorry to say nothing on the computer would help it go faster because any browser is going to outrun the dial-up
  • April 25, 2014 11:05 AM PDT
    I feel neglected...!
  • April 26, 2014 10:47 AM PDT
    Trippin wrote...
    I feel neglected...!

Pay for a real connection, get off the dial-up.  You won't feel neglected any more.

Jon

• April 26, 2014 1:23 PM PDT
    Probably not going to happen Jon........ I use this just to email and to real a couple of forums and thats about all. Not tied up to these things. No need.
  • April 29, 2014 5:51 AM PDT
    The IE is more vulnerable to hacks. Firefox is more robust in that case....Google Chrome is good as well. However Chrome will spawn a lot of processes which take up memory.
    One important thing in Firefox is if you have asked it to save passwords you can always go and check which ones they are under "Tools -> Options - Security" (Keep this to a minimum to prevent any hacks).
    • 19040 posts
    April 29, 2014 6:41 AM PDT
    iMac running Maverick...I went over to Chrome a couple years ago cuz I was having some troubles with Firefoz but some sites won't run on it. Netflix and my bank for two. So I keep firefox around. I guess I will try firefox again to see how well it works.
    • 5420 posts
    April 29, 2014 10:39 AM PDT
    I like Chrome too, they have made lots of improvements to delivery speed of pages as well as security. That would be my second choice... and from what I see in my stats that tell me which browser is being used, Chrome is growing in popularity every day.
    • 3006 posts
    April 30, 2014 5:27 AM PDT
    Noticed this morning article on yahoo,regarding the security risk revealed with the corrupted adobe flash player vulnerability in XP & other operating systems,apparently MS wouldnt make a patch for it before ending support for XP users wtf??? I guess they havent made enuff billions they wanna sell you on the latest "update".dry laughter...
    Seems like all of the sudden MS is full of holes as big as a bus,yet before all this was revealed along with the SSL security was top notch.. very dry hacking cough..expletive deleted LOL
    Firefox seems to have the option of closing down the Adobe Flash plug in temporarily to avoid security issue.Not sure about the Chrome system.
    At this point I am not using the web for shopping and hopefully I wont compromise my own safety by using the web in general.I never open attachments anymore,unless its from a "secure" source.Yet I truly doubt any web space really is,secure anymore.
    • 5420 posts
    May 2, 2014 4:52 AM PDT
    Just saw that myself. Here is a good article on it http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/technology/windows-ie-security-flaws/1089484.html />
    I would make sure you follow there suggestions...

The attacks are only known against IE versions 9 to 11, but the security experts also warn that the underlying flaws exist in all versions of IE in use today, from IE 6 through to IE 11.

The solution for those who are using the more recent versions of Microsoft browsers IE 10 and 11, is to enable the Enhanced Protected Mode (under the Tools menu, look up Internet options and in it, the Advanced tab and Security options).

Another good move suggests Trend Micro, is to disable or remove the Flash Player from IE until a fix is installed, as the exploit code requires Adobe Flash to work.

Now just a quick personal opinion (from someone who has been in the IT world since computers had hand cranks) on MS not offering any more support for XP. Companies both large and small that develop any software need to make a decision as to when to stop supporting older versions of their software. It is not usually a ploy to get you to pay them to upgrade. Most don't realize how much goes into making changes of fixes for these products, especially ones on software that needs to function on a billion computers in every language in the world. It is just not practical, and sometimes almost impossible because of how many things have changed in computers themselves and in other programs that run in conjunction with the operating system like XP. I think they actually went above and beyond supporting XP thru just recently even though it is 13 years old (ancient in computer world). It is three generations old and should be relaced on ALL computers. Just my opinion.
    • 3006 posts
    May 6, 2014 7:01 AM PDT
    Thank you for the post,I appreciate it. I agree about the hassle of keeping a product up to date.
    Oddly enough MS has recently offered a temporary patch for the XP users,apparently as a result of end users who are in critical need of said patch.
    Again thanks for the tips also !!!
    • 5420 posts
    July 21, 2014 12:30 PM PDT
     Just an update on an old topic here.  If you go back to the very first post in this topic from 4 years ago you will see that Chrome from google had just a brief mention.  At that time it was very new and still had a lot of issues to work out.

Well recently I have been having some problems with my old favorite FireFox so I did some testing on all browsers once again.  This time I found that Chrome from google seemed to oput perform all the rest in terms of load time, opening new pages in new windows, graphics rendering and just about everything else.  I also found that some of the problems I was having with FireFox and IE are not found in Chrome.

If you want to give it a try, it is completely free.  And if you don't like it, it uninstalls easily and completely.  You can get it here... https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

• Sin
    July 27, 2014 4:46 AM PDT
    I use Opera and have no problems.
    • 834 posts
    July 28, 2014 3:29 AM PDT
    Opera is a very stable browser for a freeware project. But there are two big problems. First since it is a freeware project there is no priority to fix stuff and that can be a problem especially if it is a security issue. Second is that since so few people use it web designers don't even bother to test sites on it so they may use features that don't work properly on Opera.
    • 5420 posts
    July 28, 2014 3:49 AM PDT
    Actually Tony, Opera is not techically a "freeware" program. It is free but developed and maintained by Opera Software in Norway. However you are correct in the rest that they are a little slow in fixing bugs and they are the least most used mainstream browser so many web developers don't test websites on Opera (I don't). There are already enough differences on the other browsers I have to worry about that I can not spend the time to make things work on Opera that may work on other browsers.

By the way here are the stats on browser popularity by percentage of use...

Chrome - 46%
    Internet Explorer - 21%
    FireFox - 18%
    Safari 10%
    Opera - 1%
    All Other Browsers - 4%
  • Sin
    July 29, 2014 10:07 AM PDT
    Works perfectly for me and I never was one that followed the crowd.