Waving to Other Bikers

• March 14, 2013 6:27 AM PDT
    Hubby and I ride BMWs and wave to everyone. But like a few just said we were brought up in a time when you said good morning or good day to everyone you passed on the street so I guess we just take that courtesy to our riding.
  • March 26, 2013 1:31 PM PDT
    Second that BMWToni
  • March 26, 2013 3:53 PM PDT
    Haven't got much riding in yet, but in the car or truck I wave at everybody.

My wife's like, "Who was that"?

"Hell, I don't know".

I can't imagine I'll be any different on my bike.
  • March 27, 2013 1:10 AM PDT
    wave at most riders in tenn and the assholes ride with there nose in the air like you aren't there !
  • March 27, 2013 2:34 AM PDT
    I moved from Chicago to a small and I mean 193 people small town in Kansas,I have found that everyone waves at you cagers,bikers & truckers. I will wave back if I'm not shifting gears or braking but it's still hard to get used to back in Chi town if you wave at someone you don't already know you get the "look" like ya just farted at a funeral...
  • March 27, 2013 3:22 AM PDT
    I'm from a small texas town.wavin was and is still cool.doesn't matter if you know the person or not.just sayin"have a goodun!" Nothin wrong with being friendly.if you don't get a wave back...so what! Big deal! A "hardcore rider" told me real bikers don't wave.gotta be macho I guess. I'm a hardcore biker.I wave.
    • 34 posts
    March 27, 2013 4:02 AM PDT
    Here in SoCal almost everyone will wave back at another biker brother.
    I will say that the BMW crowd are stuck up and maybe 1/3 will wave back.
    I don't even bother waving at them anymore unless they wave first.
    Swomack
  • March 27, 2013 6:23 PM PDT
    I've been riding about a month and I wave at just about everybody, I don't wave at scooters because in my town, if I did, I'd be waving at the drunk cycles all day, but cruiser, sport, cop, harley, dirt bike, whatever, I'll wave to ya, and something like 70% have waved back at me so far (no biker cops though). And if I'm in my cage, I'll nod at bikers at lights. I love waving though, I just love feeling the kinship and the brotherhood that being on two wheels brings
  • March 28, 2013 1:14 AM PDT
    Swomack wrote...
    Here in SoCal almost everyone will wave back at another biker brother.
    I will say that the BMW crowd are stuck up and maybe 1/3 will wave back.
    I don't even bother waving at them anymore unless they wave first.
    Swomack

Strange ... I ride a BMW and have always waved to anyone on 2 wheels. My experience here in NY has been it's the Harley riders who don't wave back if you're not also on a Harley.

To add: I just read all the posts in this thread from the beginning and there seems to be a lot of anti-BMW sentiment here so you'll all probably just ignore this but ... could it be you Harley riders that are the snobs?  

This is in no way an attack on Harley or most of the CF community ... but seriously, take a look back at all the anti BMW comments ... did we piss in your cereal or something?

• 844 posts
    March 28, 2013 1:41 AM PDT
    Got to agree pcdoc there is a lot and I don't know why either. I wave to anyone on two wheels and don't really tally up who waves back by type of bike, clothing , gender or anything else.. There are lots of reasons, other than they are snobs, that people don't wave back... they don't feel safe removing there hand from the bars, they didn't see you, weren't sure if they should, etc,etc.

But I have never waved to get a wave back and won't stop waving if I don't
    • 3006 posts
    March 28, 2013 4:17 AM PDT
    Went for a quick putt yesterday out the canyon,every rider I saw gave me either a wave, or a nod of the helmet.
    They were all on sport bikes cept for the Wing,n I tried to return them allIts funny how early in the season most of us are like happy out the wazooo,waving like kids again ... wait till the dog days of august..then throwing a leg over the saddle n waving at folks seems like old hat LOL
  • March 28, 2013 4:49 PM PDT
    I was just thinking that, I've seen maybe 1 or 2 bikes a day in the past month that I've been riding to work and back in sub-freezing temps (due to necessity, unfortunately), and I've just been so excited to see anybody else out riding, lol
  • April 23, 2013 11:41 AM PDT
    This year I think everyone in the Midwest is waiving at everyone for exactly that reason - happy to be out an see another biker at 25 whopping degrees - next weeks will get better - keep waving.
    • 48 posts
    April 23, 2013 4:36 PM PDT
    Sometimes I'm grabbing a gear, switching lanes, staring down the cage operator that almost merged on top of us, but other wise I wave. Just keep waving ! My rule is; if they're riding, I'm wavin.
    • 834 posts
    June 28, 2013 2:54 AM PDT
    Just wanted to give everyone a wave...
    • 544 posts
    June 28, 2013 4:30 AM PDT
    When I can I will wave at anyone on two wheels.
  • June 28, 2013 6:00 AM PDT
    If you are on two wheels, we have something in common. I wave to everyone.
  • July 2, 2013 7:00 AM PDT
    I always wave for two reasons. !st-to acknowledge the other rider as I am proud to be part of the brotherhood of those who ride .2nd to show the other riders that they are not invisible to oncoming traffic as a lot of cagers seem to think we are.
    • 544 posts
    July 8, 2013 4:28 AM PDT
    I wave out of respect. It's an acknowledgement of respect.
  • July 10, 2013 6:22 AM PDT
    I just wanted to say that right now I ride Honda Goldwing and get most people to wave except many sportbike riders. But I also ride a little 50cc scooter and NO ONE waves when I ride it. I'm always thinking but I ride a Goldwing too. I'll bet you'd wave to me if I was riding it! I stopped waving when I ride the scooter because i got tired of waving to myself.
    • 3006 posts
    July 12, 2013 6:00 AM PDT
    Here it is 4 mo's later & sure enough,rode to the rally in Hollister,no one was waving,except one guy & his lady rite before I hit town,kinda of shocked me LOL tho I made sure to get a wave off in return,cant be jinxing my ass!!!
    Its funny you mention riders not waving to you on the little scooter,cause those are my favorite people to wave at,the expressions of shock or disbelief are pricelessthe best are the young ladies on the cute little vespa's who simply stare straight ahead & act like omg !! he waved at me who does he think he is?!?!?!!
    • 19043 posts
    July 14, 2013 3:32 AM PDT
    When at bigger rallies and the like no waving from me...too freaking many and I would never be able to keep my hands on the grips...but my passenger can.
    • 544 posts
    July 16, 2013 2:22 AM PDT
    I agree with Rex the Road Dog.
  • August 12, 2013 9:46 AM PDT
    Since I'm late to the discussion I will simplify my response...that wave seperates us from the other people on the road as a special group that everybody else wishes they could be part of. I'm willing to be if me and my scooter were stranded on the shoulder...the guy that would wave would stop and help me.
  • August 12, 2013 9:47 AM PDT
    Since I'm late to the discussion I will simplify my response...that wave seperates us from the other people on the road as a special group that everybody else wishes they could be part of. I'm willing to bet if me and my scooter were stranded on the shoulder...the guy that would wave would stop and help me. Gotta love it!!!!