City Beautification - Port Jefferson, NY to Eliminate Motorcycle

• 2 posts
    April 3, 2010 7:27 AM PDT
    The New York Port Jefferson Business Improvement District (BID) recently distributed a newsletter that asks local businesses to ban motorcycles and the "unsightly presence of motorcyclists" from Main Street.

Mother always told me I was not pretty but never thought banning me would be worth the effort.

The New York Port Jefferson Business Improvement District (BID) recently distributed a newsletter that asks local businesses to ban motorcycles and the "unsightly presence of motorcyclists" from Main Street.

The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) and the riding community take offense at such blatant negative stereotyping of motorcyclists. The AMA encourages local riders to politely share their frustrations with BID via e-mail, phone, or by attending an upcoming meeting.

Port Jefferson Business Improvement District, Next Meeting:
    TUESDAY, APRIL 6th, 7PM
    At the Village Center, by appointment only.
    If you are interested in attending a BID meeting or becoming a BID member,
    please call ahead with your agenda so that we may arrange a time slot.
    P.O. Box 275. Port Jefferson, NY 11777.  (631) 476-2363.
    www.portjeffbid.com

To see the BID newsletter, click here

A prewritten e-mail is available for you to send to BID immediately by following the "Take Action" option and entering your information. The AMA strongly encourages riders to personalize the prewritten message as much as possible by drawing on your own downtown Port Jefferson experiences.

The AMA also encourages utilizing the media as a communication tool. The media can be helpful in drawing attention to BID's mischaracterization of motorcyclists. To find and contact local media outlets or for tips on drafting a letter to your local newspaper editor, click here

For more information about how to protect your right to ride, please visit the "Get Involved" section of the AMA website. For direct access, click here.

Again, please contact BID, plan to attend their meeting or help get the message out that negative stereotyping of motorcyclists will not be tolerated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(edited to include the artical here, to make sure everyone sees it)
    reprinted from the AMA Website -
    http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert/?alertid=14895971&type=CU&show_alert=1

• April 3, 2010 7:32 AM PDT
    What would happen if the streets filled with motorcycles legally parking and window shopping for a day with notice sent to the "BID"
  • April 3, 2010 7:38 AM PDT
    Unbelievable ~ I like your idea Howard... a full day of window shopping indeed! Where do these people get off?? Dang...
    • 1161 posts
    April 3, 2010 7:49 AM PDT
    My grandfather did always say, " If you cant say something nice don't say anything at all, dumba$$."

So in lue of that advice i'll stop thinking of what I really want to tell them Futher Muckers.
  • April 3, 2010 8:56 AM PDT
    Yes, closed minded. opinionated. just let me be a sheep people... would love to storm the district and window shop all day...not buy a thing if my money isn't good there....
    • 5420 posts
    April 3, 2010 9:15 AM PDT
    The newsletter actually said "The unsightly presence of motorcyclists".

Looks like the area is on Long Island. I would like to know how many CycleFish members we have in the area???

Hey SingSing, that's not to far from your place. Interested in helping to set up a CycleFish Meet & Greet in Port Jefferson???
  • April 3, 2010 10:05 AM PDT
    I see that they want NO Parking of any vehicle, but why did they have put motorcycles seperate and call us unsightly motorcyclists.. And who says we are unsightly? Are they for real???  
    • 1 posts
    April 3, 2010 12:38 PM PDT
    hgsc90 wrote...
    What would happen if the streets filled with motorcycles legally parking and window shopping for a day with notice sent to the "BID"

If you link to this site you will found exactly the results of your suggestion .....http://nymstf.org/PortJefferson.htm  ;

• April 3, 2010 1:42 PM PDT
    WOW   in the year 2010    and there are still ppl or new ppl with this thinking....   what-if....   the mayor of the town..   is in need of medical help...   but the medic is on a   BIG BAD AZZ BIKE...   in full leather.....  love to watch him say no get away.. i would rather die..... the stupid SOB
  • April 3, 2010 2:23 PM PDT
    ok I may be unsightly in some eyes and not in others but whats, next ban all ugly people. If the people who came up with this idea could see just how much bikers do for others and that our money is just as green as the next persons, they would see just what a dumb ass thing this is. They should go to Sturgis and see just how 2 weeks of unsightly bikers can keep a town alive all year.
  • April 3, 2010 2:33 PM PDT
    It's 258.3 miles and about 5 1/2 hours ride time from Loconia NH.
  • April 3, 2010 2:53 PM PDT
    I just sent this e-mail to the good people of Port Jefferson. I hope this pisses you all off as much as it does me that you will let them know what you think

Our goals this year are the same as our founders were in 1998:
    "to promote the district as a good place to live, work, and shop... to improve the
    overall appearance and quality through architectural improvements,
    landscaping, redevelopment, decoration, signage, lighting, and improved
    sanitation."

I do not see anything in your goals to improve the overall appearance of your town that suggests banning people you think are unsightly. What's next banning fat people, old people, blacks, Mexicans any non white person or maybe just people that don't look good enough to walk the streets of your town. This is America and we the people have rights.
    • 6 posts
    April 3, 2010 3:14 PM PDT
    Yeah, I'm thinkin that might be a good place to go for my vacation! The whole weekend, whatcha think? lol!
  • April 3, 2010 3:40 PM PDT
    "Not long after the silly parallel parking debacle, the Village of Port Jefferson introduced legislation to limit to one the number of motorcycles that could park in an individual parking spot, again illegally superseding state law, which doesn't prohibit sharing already scarce parking spaces.  They also planned to force motorcyclists into a Brookhaven lot where non-resident motorcyclists would be forced to pay $7 each.  Long Island's motorcyclists responded by taking up every on-street parking space in the town one busy summer weekend, one motorcycle per space.  The Village saw the light shortly afterward, but the sign pictured on the left remains today in George Wallis' parking lot for his confectionary and one of his restaurants, across the street from the Port Jefferson - Bridgeport Ferry terminal."  from afore mentioned link.

From the first AMA link, I sent an email...

People are a trip for sure...  what the hell do they believe they are protecting?  and from what?    silly, silly, people with their silly voices trying to make a sound...  F*** em.

• April 3, 2010 3:45 PM PDT
    anything i might put here as a response would surely be censored, so i will surprise everyone and not say a thing.
    • 2 posts
    April 5, 2010 12:49 AM PDT
    Personally I find the whole thing humorous to hell. - A whole city not only agrees w/ my mother & 12 out 10 women that I am really unsightly but takes the trouble to put it into legislation.

Unlikely will ever be that way. Duck hunting is the only reason I can think of to go further East on the Island than Queens but if I go will take pains to avoid the town.

There are 3 and only 3 possibilities;
    1. We really are unsightly; we stay away, business picks up, residents are happier & the ban stays
    2. We are good citizens & good customers; we stay away, business slacks off, the downtown area seems lifeless, residents are unhappy & lift the ban
    3. Residents put as little thought into their next action as they put into this one & continue to make stupid decisions
    • 352 posts
    April 5, 2010 1:07 AM PDT
    Pt. Jeff and Setauket were some of my old stomping grounds...I grew up in Lake Ronkonkoma.

Looks like the "hoity-toities" are on a tear again...they tried something like this back in the '70's, there were several "parades" of bikes of all sizes and shapes(average group of around 50-70 bikes or so), running through Pt. Jeff & Belle Tere all summer long one year as a protest...they dropped the bans.
    • 21 posts
    April 5, 2010 1:23 AM PDT
    I don't get it at all - with this economy everyone's hurting and here's a bunch of jokers pushing folks away - screw 'em!! I'll stick to going places I'm wanted!
  • April 5, 2010 2:13 AM PDT
    For those that do not feel able to compose a personal e-mail please use the "take action" at the bottom of 99savage link to AMA to e-mail a complaint as a representative of Motorcycleist everywhere. Numbers will change minds..
    • 5420 posts
    April 5, 2010 2:24 AM PDT
    Good point Howard. If you do feel like writing directly to the Port Jefferson Business Improvement District (BID).

Here is the email address...info@portjeffbid.com
  • April 5, 2010 3:27 AM PDT
    i guess they are not sure what unsightly is...... now if there were 2 - 200 ppl there all winking with the one brown eye that would be unsightly
    • 844 posts
    April 5, 2010 5:44 AM PDT
    I think a CycleFish Meet & Greet in this town is a GREAT idea. Here is what I would do. Stop outside of town and pick up lunch (Subway or something like that). Then roll into town taking up as many LEGAL parking spaces as you can, one bike per spot. Then take the lunch you bought outside of town and eat it somewhere that you will be noticed. After lunch the entire group walks into every single store, when someone sees something they like, be sure to say in a loud voice..."I like that, I sure hope I can find it in a store where they like my money", and then move on to the next store.

Ok, just a thought!
  • April 5, 2010 5:56 AM PDT
    I think I am sightly! OK maybe not right now.
    • 6 posts
    April 5, 2010 6:05 AM PDT
    If I ever grace that hole I'm gonna make sure I'm as unsightly as possible lol
    • 601 posts
    April 5, 2010 7:40 AM PDT
    I have to say I've been called a lot of names as a biker.... scruffy...dirty...noisy...scumbag...junkie...drunken...violent...but unsightly is a new one on me, I must send them a letter of thanks for the compliment, they'll understand the word compliment if ever I come visit. Most guys on bikes own what they sit on, and it reflects their character with the modifications made..........the bank owns whatever these guys sit in, and it reflects their character, personality of a golf ball and the I.Q of a sand bunker