Brake Caliper Speed Bleeders?

• 1040 posts
    February 15, 2010 2:35 AM PST
    Anyone have or is using these babies? Been looking at these for a couple years now and I want to buy em but just don't know?  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stainless-Steel-Speed-Bleeder-SB3824HD-SS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ef5e5a4a2QQitemZ270413440162QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
    • 1509 posts
    February 15, 2010 2:46 AM PST
    Interesting, and it looks like you could slip a piece of aquarium tubing over the end so the brake fluid doesn't squirt all over the place.
    • 5417 posts
    February 15, 2010 3:03 AM PST
    Looks pretty cool. Once my son grows up and moves out I may have to look into it. Right now he has the squeeze, release thing down pretty well
    • 19004 posts
    February 15, 2010 3:12 AM PST
    I have been using a hand operated vacuum pump with success but these look very interesting. I will watch this forum with interest.
  • February 15, 2010 3:43 AM PST
    Money Well Spent in my opinion, and found nothing better to be sure will have no air in the lines..
    • 1040 posts
    February 15, 2010 6:03 AM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    Looks pretty cool. Once my son grows up and moves out I may have to look into it. Right now he has the squeeze, release thing down pretty well

Hell, sounds like he may just live with ya forever  
  • February 15, 2010 6:15 AM PST
    Last ones I had a hand on was used and the cap plugs left off or lost. Was over 8 yrs ago on a hydraulic fluid slave system.  Rusted bleeder valves stuck shut. Had to be replaced. Brake fluid also draws moisture could also be a problem..If they are blown dry and cap plugs kept in place could be no problem..Stainless steel will resist corrosion but most springs are not, may be the weak link..
    • 1040 posts
    February 16, 2010 6:58 AM PST
    hgsc90 wrote...
    Last ones I had a hand on was used and the cap plugs left off or lost. Was over 8 yrs ago on a hydraulic fluid slave system.  Rusted bleeder valves stuck shut. Had to be replaced. Brake fluid also draws moisture could also be a problem..If they are blown dry and cap plugs kept in place could be no problem..Stainless steel will resist corrosion but most springs are not, may be the weak link..

Thanks for the insight; was just about to order a set, but now  ....LOL
    Guess I'll research a bit more and see If I can find out it the springs are also stainless...Thanks again
    • 1040 posts
    February 16, 2010 7:00 AM PST
    JaysonFL wrote...
    Money Well Spent in my opinion, and found nothing better to be sure will have no air in the lines..

So, you have used these I take it Jayson? How long ya had em on? Stainles or standard Zinc? Thanks Bro

• 1040 posts
    February 16, 2010 5:05 PM PST
    hgsc90 wrote...

Howard, been reading a bit and find on the stainless steel bleeders, the springs are satinless steel. Also talked with a couple of Indy's and others who have used that swear by them.

I'm odering a set and will let ya'll know.
    • 19004 posts
    February 16, 2010 11:08 PM PST
    Hey Dude, please keep us all informed. I am very interested too. Thanks for taking point here.
  • February 16, 2010 11:17 PM PST
    i'm interested in these myself. let us know fxr
    • 119 posts
    February 17, 2010 12:22 AM PST

I used the speed bleeders on the shovel, worked great.

You can slip a piece of aquarium tubing over the end so the brake fluid doesn't squirt all over the place.

You can use an old style pump oil can instead of vacuum pump. Hook hose to end of oil can filled with brake fluid and pump the brake fluid thru the brake caliper up to the master cylinder. This pushes the air up and out instead of pulling it down.     

I would check manual for ABS

• 1040 posts
    February 17, 2010 1:56 PM PST
    Ordered those babies today. Should be in by Saturday or next Monday. Will keep ya'll abreast.
    • 1040 posts
    April 25, 2010 2:22 PM PDT
    Put the rear speed bleeder in today and work like a champ. Didn't time how long it took to remove old one, install new one and bleed brakes; but I'd say way less than 10 minutes. All very simple; If my dumb ass can do it then ANYBODY can. Gonna do the front two tomorrow; love these things.
    • 33 posts
    May 12, 2010 5:56 AM PDT
    Hmmmmm.....this sounds like a great idea!!!!
  • g
    May 12, 2010 6:00 AM PDT
    yer a pussy .....do it the mans way .
    • 19004 posts
    May 12, 2010 6:20 AM PDT
    g wrote...

Are YA gonna take that DUDE????

• g
    May 12, 2010 6:58 AM PDT
    lol,has a long way to come to kick ma ass ,lol
    • 1040 posts
    May 15, 2010 6:32 AM PDT
    g wrote...

RexTheRoadDog wrote...

How the hell did I miss this for three days? . Just finished putting in the front two speed bleeders and all went good. Replaced the old fluid without a problem and good brakes to ride now. No problems whatsoever with installing the new bleeder but had a bit of a issue with fluid leaking from the master cylinder resivoir. Finally got the rubber boot to line up correctlyn to prevent seepage and all is good....Kept thinking when doing the work how g could call me a pussy; damn that hurts but considering it coming from a sheep fecker; I guess I should not worry much...LOL   

The boys are In Meridian, Ms at a karate tournament and James just called telling me Peanut got 1st in kata and 1st in sparring again so I'm gonna go ride a bit now before they get home.....See Ya

• g
    May 15, 2010 6:43 AM PDT
    lol.........good man .
    • 2072 posts
    May 15, 2010 11:35 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    g wrote...

And then he said..... "Here, hold my beer" and the fight was on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• May 15, 2010 1:06 PM PDT
    BlvdCruiser wrote...
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    g wrote...

And then he said..... "Here, hold my beer" and the fight was on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HA HA HA ~ Yeah ~ especially after he DRANK his beer!!!

Krum ~ on the ABS thing ~ the worst thing is to push the pistons back in the bore and shove the crud into the ABS modulator. I would have to think this is 'the ticket' ~ they've been working well on cages with ABS for some time. Just my opinion and we know what opinions are
    Greg

• 1040 posts
    May 16, 2010 1:15 AM PDT
    Just went and took a peek at my brake fluid resivoir; it's got a slight leak of fluid again; damn! Guess I gotta play with tha some more. Seems the rubber boot may not be sealing right.....geesh!
    • 119 posts
    May 16, 2010 1:16 AM PDT
    Krum ~ on the ABS thing ~ the worst thing is to push the pistons back in the bore and shove the crud into the ABS modulator. I would have to think this is 'the ticket' ~ they've been working well on cages with ABS for some time. Just my opinion and we know what opinions are

Thats why I said check before you push or use vacaum brake fluild thru abs. but that just my opinion