2007 Road King Trailer Wiring

• 5420 posts
    January 28, 2010 2:01 AM PST
    What is the proper way to wire a HD Road King (running/brakes/turn signals) for a trailer?

I know I could just tie into the harness in the tail light, but I was wondering if there was a specific way it should be properly done?
  • January 28, 2010 2:14 AM PST
    hey lucky..kuryakyn makes alot of plug and play kits for that..

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/IMID/1744 />
    try this..i hope it helps
    • 1516 posts
    January 28, 2010 2:28 AM PST
    Harley man is home if you want to call him. He loves talkin bike trailers with you!
  • January 28, 2010 2:28 AM PST
    Plug kit is the only way to go.
    • 2072 posts
    January 28, 2010 2:36 AM PST
    Lucky.............. I HAD a wiring converter on my bike/trailer and had nothing but trouble with it. JUST changer the wiring on it yesterday. Went to Walmart and bought a 5 wire flat plug set-up. Mounted separate turn signals on the trailer and wired it up just like the bike. Works awesome now.
  • January 28, 2010 2:50 AM PST
    I have the the pre-made harness from kuryakyn on my UltraClassic. Works fine and was a breeze to install.
  • January 28, 2010 4:37 AM PST
    www.Denniskirk.com has a plug in that uses battery power to power trailer lights and relay (solid state) monitor for turn and brake control. Will not overload bike wiring or have effect turn flasher relay.
    • 0 posts
    January 28, 2010 6:36 AM PST
    hgsc90 wrote...
    www.Denniskirk.com has a plug in that uses battery power to power trailer lights and relay (solid state) monitor for turn and brake control. Will not overload bike wiring or have effect turn flasher relay.

^^^^ proper way!
  • January 28, 2010 6:42 AM PST
    Safely & properly apply the load from the trailer lighting to the battery & not to the rest of the bike's wiring/relays/fuses with these Trailer Wiring Harnesses with Relays. Select the Universal or the Plug-&-Play kit that plugs inline underneath your seat to the bikes main rear harness. Both kits finish up by connecting directly to your battery & wiring to your trailer plug. Add the 5 to 4 Converter for trailers with 4-wire connectors & it plugs right inline to the Küryakyn Trailer Wiring Harness & Relay. This is the easiest wiring you will ever do!

7668 Plug & Play Trailer Wiring Harness & Relay (ea)
    Fits:
    '96-'09 Softails, '97-'09 Dynas,'96-'10 Electra Glides,'98-'08 Road Glides,'06-'09 Street Glides & '96-'09 Road Kings
    $79.99 Qty
    7669 Universal 5 to 4 Wire Trailer Hitch Converter (ea) $29.99 Qty

This is the NEWER kit from Küryakyn and this is what they have to say about it..i have quite a few guys i ride with that have used their kits and have had no issues..

• 1 posts
    February 2, 2010 6:00 AM PST
    Lucky,

Definitely go with one of the wiring kits. They make it much easier, and if you just tie into the rear lights harness, you could overload something and will probably mess with the blinker/flasher timing.

Just about any of the harnesses from the well known companies work fine.
    • 5420 posts
    February 25, 2013 4:44 AM PST
    I decided to be safe and go with an isolator for the trailer lights.  I bought this universal kit at Pep Boys auto parts for $23 (http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/8768308/798/accessories/trailer_towing/electrical_adapters_connectors/?quantity=1) .  Worked perfect and took about 5 minutes to install.  Used the inline wire-tap clips and connected under the seat at the main connector for rear lights.