Motorcycle Forums » Biker Chat

Full Face VS Open Face Motorcycle Helmet

    • 1 posts
    January 10, 2018 7:14 PM PST

    I am considering to buy a new motorcycle helmet.
    I have heard multiple reasons why a full-face is worse than a open face helmet. Some of which are: You have limited visibility with the full-face.
    As for me, I have wrecked before and my head almost touched the ground while I used a open face helmet.So this time,I want to try Full Face Motorcycle Helmet.
    What do you think and any recommend?
    Any advise about this dot motorcycle helmet from hex auto parts? Not expensive but looks nice,just what I need.

    https://www.hexautoparts.com/6-color-dot-motorcycle-helmets-dual-sport-flip-up-modular-motocross-full-face-helmet-for-sale-with-m-l-xl-size.html

    Thanks in advance.

     


    This post was edited by ryanstewart at January 10, 2018 7:27 PM PST
    • 1 posts
    January 10, 2018 8:29 PM PST

    I use a modular for the highway and cold weather,  then I use a half helmet while riding around town when it gets hot......I am considering a 3/4 for mild weather...If I could only sport one, it'd be the Modular because I road trip...DOT's are safe, but the SNELL has a tighter test group...I'm gonna say go with what is comfy...I can use a closed Modular but freak the *&^%4 out with a full face...  Just depends.

    • 5405 posts
    January 10, 2018 9:25 PM PST

    ryanstewart said:

    I am considering to buy a new motorcycle helmet.
    I have heard multiple reasons why a full-face is worse than a open face helmet. Some of which are: You have limited visibility with the full-face.
    As for me, I have wrecked before and my head almost touched the ground while I used a open face helmet.So this time,I want to try Full Face Motorcycle Helmet.
    What do you think and any recommend?
    Any advise about this dot motorcycle helmet from hex auto parts? Not expensive but looks nice,just what I need.

    https://www.hexautoparts.com/6-color-dot-motorcycle-helmets-dual-sport-flip-up-modular-motocross-full-face-helmet-for-sale-with-m-l-xl-size.html

    Thanks in advance.

     

     

    I personally would NOT even consider this helemt or recommend it to ANYONE who is actually looking at a hemet for any type of protection.  This is a cheep piece of crap that most likely just barely passes the DOT standards. 

    My son was wearing something very similar to this last spring when he had an accident at relativly slow speed.  The helmet shattered and he suffered severe head trauma.

    If you were just buying it because it is required, then fine.  However you mentioned you desired protection and this is NOT it.  This is your head we are talking about here! 


    This post was edited by Lucky at January 10, 2018 9:26 PM PST
    • Moderator
    • 13921 posts
    January 11, 2018 6:56 AM PST

    I saw this post before and kind of ignored it because I personally only wear a helmet when required, and HATE full face ones. After reading your post, Lucky, and remembering the accident your son had (and what your family went through) I followed the link for this helmet. WOW! a full face for under $40. Has to be CRAP. Ya can't even get a good (relatively) beanie helmet for that.

    • 5405 posts
    January 12, 2018 1:14 PM PST

    RexTheRoadDog said:

    I saw this post before and kind of ignored it because I personally only wear a helmet when required, and HATE full face ones. After reading your post, Lucky, and remembering the accident your son had (and what your family went through) I followed the link for this helmet. WOW! a full face for under $40. Has to be CRAP. Ya can't even get a good (relatively) beanie helmet for that.

     

    I too support the right to choose whether to wear a helmet or not.  A person would only buy a $39 helmet if they are only wearing it because it is required.  That is why this cracks me up...  anyone looking for a 3/4 or full-face helmet is most certainly doing so because they are wanting the most protection they can get which you are not goin to get for $39.  Hell people spend $200+ on a jacket to stay warm and only gonna pay $39 to protect their head... that has me scratching mine!

     

    By the way Ryan... Please don't think we are picking on you in anyway.  You stated you were looking for a good helmet and we are just letting you know that is not it.

    • 59 posts
    January 25, 2018 8:42 AM PST

    I agree with both Lucky and Rex on this one.  I would also add that I would never buy a helmet mail order without first having tried it on in a store.  Helmets vary in size, construction materials and shape.  One model Shoei might fit well whereas another model (also Shoei) might not.  And when shopping for a new helmet, it is a good idea to wear that prospect for 30 - 45 minutes shopping around the store if possible.  This will give it time to settle in and any "hot spots" will show themselves.  As an example, My wife really liked a certain helmet.  When it came time for replacement, we just ordered a new one.  Well, in the 3-4 years since the original had been purchased the company had changed things and the new helmet no longer fits the same.  Now looking for "another" helmet for her (another $150 to $200).


    This post was edited by RufCut at January 25, 2018 8:47 AM PST
    • 8 posts
    February 8, 2018 11:47 AM PST

    I definitely would invest in a nice, sturdy helmet, as it is literally the only thing that's preventing you from sustaining a head injury in an event of a crash. I would do your research and go into the stores to have it fitted appropriately to your head. Here's an article I found that provides helmet recommendations and also explains the different things to look for when choosing one.

    http://www.motorcyclelegalfoundation.com/the-safest-motorcycle-helmet-you-can-buy/

     

    • 466 posts
    February 11, 2018 1:49 PM PST

    Love my Zox modular full face! I am on my 3rd one. I replace all my helmets every 4-6 years depending on wear and use. Immediately if they have gone through an impact. Otherwise it's a bit like wearing a candy shell that looks good but cracks easily. Definitely try them on. cinch it all the way down and give your head a shake. They should wiggle just a bit, but that is all. I buy mine at J&P Cycles in Sturgis.

    • 27 posts
    April 6, 2018 1:46 AM PDT

    I went for the one that has the best noise rating .

    • 8 posts
    April 9, 2018 1:18 AM PDT

    I too would choose to buy a full face helmet for a full head protection. Better safe than sorry. 

    • 2 posts
    April 24, 2018 9:15 AM PDT

    I have a Harley Capstone modular helmet, and a low profile beanie style helmet. The capstone helmet is only a few weeks old and got it for the cooler days, and/or when I have my windshield off (the bike just looks so much better without it).

    Honestly, I am to the point where I kinda like having it on. The overall feel of the ride with no windshield is awesome, nice and unrestricted. But it can get loud on the highway. This helmet eases some of that wind noise that gives me a head ache. 

    I hear people talk about how it's such a nightmare to wear a full helmet. Maybe some people just don't have a good one, but I have no issues with it other than maybe getting a little hot in the warmer months. 

    Another thing: Texting and driving has gotten out of control. It should be considered a plague. So with that, I want to be prepared for the worst.

    • 9 posts
    July 4, 2018 8:37 AM PDT

    These are the same helmets that Walmart sells.  Personally, I would not feel comfortable wearing a helmet this cheap, but I guess it would be better than nothing. 

    I like to wear a fullface on long rides, and whenever I want a more comfortable ride in the cold, rain, and bugs. A fullface reduces the wind noise too.  I never felt like my vision was impaired by wearing a fullface.  

    I was involved in an accident, where I slid facedown on the pavement.  My chin bar got scuffed-up. I was really glad I wore my fullface that day, instead of my shorty. 


    This post was edited by psyclechic at July 4, 2018 8:38 AM PDT
    • 1836 posts
    July 5, 2018 2:00 PM PDT

    Mine has the invisible retractable face shield.  It's not full face.  It covers just above the mouth. Roughly $150.00.  I like it because it's comfortable and the shield covers my glasses in the rain and doesn't fog up.  As for protection; I don't know how much protection it offers but I didn't get it for that reason.  Right to choose.

    Doc

    • 3 posts
    July 7, 2018 7:14 PM PDT
    Like many Harley riders, I wear a half helmet. I also have a 3/4 helmet I bought for rainy days, though I've yet to wear it. It never rains in SoCal and if it does, I don't ride. The half helmet is HD with a retractable sun shield and the 3/4 is an HJC with retractable faceshield. I find it's usually too hot to wear anything but the half helmet and though I've had a Nolan modular helmet, I couldn't get used to the narrow visibility.
    • 13 posts
    July 8, 2018 4:22 PM PDT

    CaptStealth said: Like many Harley riders, I wear a half helmet. I also have a 3/4 helmet I bought for rainy days, though I've yet to wear it. It never rains in SoCal and if it does, I don't ride. The half helmet is HD with a retractable sun shield and the 3/4 is an HJC with retractable faceshield. I find it's usually too hot to wear anything but the half helmet and though I've had a Nolan modular helmet, I couldn't get used to the narrow visibility.

    Narrow visibility,and the extra sound protection,changes your natural sense of awareness.Although a full face offers more protection in an accident,i think it makes riding more dangerous.

    • 42 posts
    July 18, 2018 11:15 PM PDT

    I'll only ride w/ a Full Face helmet ... I make up for the limited visibility by staying alert and not zoning out while riding.

    • 10 posts
    August 26, 2018 11:49 AM PDT

    I wear molded ear plugs for long distance on the highway. I can hear my motor better, no more wind in the ears. 

    I don't like helmets or windshields.

    When I have to, I wear a half helmet.

     

    www.bigearinc.com  They mold them in your ear. I found them at a bike show.


    This post was edited by panheadgeorge at August 26, 2018 4:56 PM PDT