Motorcycle Forums » Biker Chat

Full Face VS Open Face Motorcycle Helmet

• 1 posts
    January 10, 2018 7:14 PM PST

I am considering to buy a new motorcycle helmet.
    I have heard multiple reasons why a full-face is worse than a open face helmet. Some of which are: You have limited visibility with the full-face.
    As for me, I have wrecked before and my head almost touched the ground while I used a open face helmet.So this time,I want to try Full Face Motorcycle Helmet.
    What do you think and any recommend?
    Any advise about this dot motorcycle helmet from hex auto parts? Not expensive but looks nice,just what I need.

https://www.hexautoparts.com/6-color-dot-motorcycle-helmets-dual-sport-flip-up-modular-motocross-full-face-helmet-for-sale-with-m-l-xl-size.html

Thanks in advance.

This post was edited by ryanstewart at January 10, 2018 7:27 PM PST
    • 1 posts
    January 10, 2018 8:29 PM PST

I use a modular for the highway and cold weather,  then I use a half helmet while riding around town when it gets hot......I am considering a 3/4 for mild weather...If I could only sport one, it'd be the Modular because I road trip...DOT's are safe, but the SNELL has a tighter test group...I'm gonna say go with what is comfy...I can use a closed Modular but freak the *&^%4 out with a full face...  Just depends.

• 5374 posts
    January 10, 2018 9:25 PM PST

ryanstewart said:

I am considering to buy a new motorcycle helmet.
    I have heard multiple reasons why a full-face is worse than a open face helmet. Some of which are: You have limited visibility with the full-face.
    As for me, I have wrecked before and my head almost touched the ground while I used a open face helmet.So this time,I want to try Full Face Motorcycle Helmet.
    What do you think and any recommend?
    Any advise about this dot motorcycle helmet from hex auto parts? Not expensive but looks nice,just what I need.

https://www.hexautoparts.com/6-color-dot-motorcycle-helmets-dual-sport-flip-up-modular-motocross-full-face-helmet-for-sale-with-m-l-xl-size.html

Thanks in advance.

I personally would NOT even consider this helemt or recommend it to ANYONE who is actually looking at a hemet for any type of protection.  This is a cheep piece of crap that most likely just barely passes the DOT standards. 

My son was wearing something very similar to this last spring when he had an accident at relativly slow speed.  The helmet shattered and he suffered severe head trauma.

If you were just buying it because it is required, then fine.  However you mentioned you desired protection and this is NOT it.  This is your head we are talking about here! 

This post was edited by Lucky at January 10, 2018 9:26 PM PST
    • 13194 posts
    January 11, 2018 6:56 AM PST

I saw this post before and kind of ignored it because I personally only wear a helmet when required, and HATE full face ones. After reading your post, Lucky, and remembering the accident your son had (and what your family went through) I followed the link for this helmet. WOW! a full face for under $40. Has to be CRAP. Ya can't even get a good (relatively) beanie helmet for that.

• 5374 posts
    January 12, 2018 1:14 PM PST

RexTheRoadDog said:

I saw this post before and kind of ignored it because I personally only wear a helmet when required, and HATE full face ones. After reading your post, Lucky, and remembering the accident your son had (and what your family went through) I followed the link for this helmet. WOW! a full face for under $40. Has to be CRAP. Ya can't even get a good (relatively) beanie helmet for that.

I too support the right to choose whether to wear a helmet or not.  A person would only buy a $39 helmet if they are only wearing it because it is required.  That is why this cracks me up...  anyone looking for a 3/4 or full-face helmet is most certainly doing so because they are wanting the most protection they can get which you are not goin to get for $39.  Hell people spend $200+ on a jacket to stay warm and only gonna pay $39 to protect their head... that has me scratching mine!

By the way Ryan... Please don't think we are picking on you in anyway.  You stated you were looking for a good helmet and we are just letting you know that is not it.