Handlebar Speaker System for RoadKing

• 5420 posts
    May 12, 2009 3:39 AM PDT
    I am thinking about adding a handlebar speaker system to my RoadKing.  I searched and found a number of different brands and styles.  I was hoping to get input from someone who already had a set.  I will be using them on an iPod the majority of the time, but may also get a small Sattellite receiver adventually.
    • 1 posts
    May 12, 2009 7:18 AM PDT
    Hey Lucky,

I don't have one personally, but I worked on a bike a few weeks back with the HOGTunes handlebar speaker system and amplifier. Took it for a test ride on the highway and just had to check it out with my iPod. Sounded pretty good up to about 50-55 mph. After that with the wind noise I had to turn it up to where the sound started distorting. This was on a Softail with no windshield though. I assume you ride with a windshield on your RoadKing so the wind noise might not be as much of an issue.
    • 19040 posts
    May 13, 2009 12:06 AM PDT
    Hey Lucky,
    You are right; I have a set of Rumble Road (MH Instruments) amplified speakers on Rex. I also use their pre-amp. The quality is OK if you are not too fussy but they definitely lack bass. I guess it is pretty hard to get bass out of 4” speakers mounted in driving light housings. If you are an audiophile you will be disappointed. Here is a link for a review http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/rumble_road_speaker_system/index.html face="Calibri">. They installed easy enough and work well with both my MP3 and Sirius receiver. I do not really like the look of them on my bars but that is where they work best. I tried to mount them down on my highway bars but that was too far away and they were inaudible above 45 mph. There was some ignition noise trouble but filters took care of that. At 55 to 65 MPH they do OK, above 70 they don’t do so well. If I am pulling a long hill my pipes drown them out and truck / highway noise will do the same. Basically I am satisfied (because they are better than no sound) but I am looking to find better a quality sound system and still keep the open front end look of the King. I have a custom design in my mind but I need a good tin man to do what I envision. Possibly that will be the next winter project. I am also interested in seeing or hearing those hard bag lid speakers. I hope this helps.
    • 5420 posts
    May 13, 2009 4:29 AM PDT
    Thanks Mike, I do love music, but am by no means an audiophile. I just want to hear the music at high speeds without having to turn it up past the distortion level. I have looked at a number of handlebar mounted speaker systems and they all say they can do that, but I would rather hear it from someone who is using one.

Two more questions

Are the speakers quick to remove. I am thinking that I only would use them on longer rides, and want to remove them when around town to keep the RoadKing looking the way it should.

Can the speakers be mounted with the windshield in place on a RoadKing.
    • 19040 posts
    May 13, 2009 12:37 PM PDT
    Lucky, You should have no problem mounting speakers with the windshield in place. I don't remember what bars you have though. I have 16" chubby apes. My speakers are not easily removed. I use my radio all the time so I just deal with the lack of coolness in the look. It does annoy me thus another reason for my custom tank and dash idea. With a little engineering you could probably make some kind of quick disconnect mount. You might be able to mount them on the windshield braces with some more engineering. But then you would have to make a winshield lock or someone might walk away with a windshield and speakers.
  • May 15, 2009 4:35 AM PDT
    Hey Lucky,

I used to have speakers on my last bike. The one thing main thing I found is a high speeds no speaker or system is going to sound that great. Remember that sound is actually waves in the air...they are going to distort with 60 mile and hour winds. So don't waste a ton of money on a system that sounds like a quality home system when you listen to it in the store. Just make sure the amp has enough power to play loud at high speeds.

You might want to check these out... http://www.motorcycletunes.com/
  • May 15, 2009 7:14 AM PDT
    Wow, I would love to have stereo speakers to listen to my iPod while riding. I ride with the earphones now and I know that's illegal. They look affordable, I just have to find out how much someone would charge to install the speakers on my Softail.
  • May 16, 2009 7:26 AM PDT
    SST,

A good shop should be able to do it in a few hours...shouldn't cost too much.
    • 834 posts
    May 17, 2009 2:46 PM PDT
    A buddy I ride with has these on his bike and really likes them. I can even hear them when I ride behind him and they sound ok from there!
    • 5420 posts
    May 18, 2009 5:05 AM PDT
    I have decided to go with the HOG Tunes. I will let you all know how they work once I get them.
  • May 18, 2009 8:55 AM PDT
    Lucky,

For sure let us know how they sound. I am excited to get speakers on the Softail now that I found out they are so inexpensive. I found a shop nearby that will install them for just $50 if I do it when I have my regular service done.
    • 19040 posts
    May 18, 2009 11:45 AM PDT
    I gotta say I always thought music on a bike was foolish. Then one day I decided to put them on and I really don't remember why. Now I feel seriously deprived if I don't have them. For about two weeks I had a wiring problem with one of my speakers and couldn't use them and I was really bummed about it. I discovered I didn't enjoy riding near as much without them. I explain it like this. When riding you don't just see the scenery, you are in the scene. Now take that thought and try watching a movie with just sub-titles and no sound track. Music is a very powerful physiological force.
  • May 20, 2009 3:06 AM PDT
    Only a couple more years before you qualify for a Geezer Glide anyway Lucky.
  • May 26, 2009 11:01 AM PDT
    you can always take up one more step and do a dragonfly fairing, they come with a 200 watt deck and 6X9's and we all know a 6x9 can rock. they are a little more money but if your one that wants to maintain style while rocking out this is the way to go. Go to http://www.dragonflycycleconcepts.com/ and check them out of course there are many others out there but Im thinking I have never had an issue with a 6x9
    • 19040 posts
    May 27, 2009 1:07 AM PDT
    I considered a fairing but so far rejected the idea since I really want to keep the open front end look in the King when riding local. I have an idea to get a 6 gallon tank and have custom sheet metal work done where the speakers are in the tank facing the rider at a slight angle. Also adding a custom dash panel with the new controls. Gonna need a good sheet metal tech and there are some serious engineering problems to solve. Looks like the next winter project. If I do it there will be photos here.
    • 5420 posts
    May 27, 2009 6:57 AM PDT
    I have thought about the fairing, but have the same concern about wanting my bike to have the traditional open front end look. I know some of the newer fairings for the Road King are quick to remove, but even on long trips I would rather just have the speakers and my windshield.
    • 5420 posts
    June 7, 2009 8:53 AM PDT
    You're not going to believe this. The speakers came in yesterday, opened them today to install for my Redwood trip. Both speakers are torn from being pack poorly... with the mounting brackets flying around in the same box.

Well I guess it's the iPod and ear buds for the trip
    • 19040 posts
    June 7, 2009 11:10 AM PDT
    Man that stinks!! Maybe Laura can sing to ya????
  • June 21, 2011 3:21 AM PDT
    Did you get the speakers? Please let me know I am almost ready to do the same on my King.
    • 5420 posts
    June 21, 2011 3:37 AM PDT
    No!!! I sent the damaged speakers back and they sent me a refund. Things happened and I just never got around to re-ordering. Maybe this summer
    • 46 posts
    June 22, 2011 4:18 AM PDT
    Sounds like me Lucky. Sometimes if you can't get it right when you want it, the excitement wears off
    • 19040 posts
    June 23, 2011 2:18 AM PDT
    Hey Drake, where ya been man? I haven't heard or seen you in some time. Glad you are still here with us.

Hey Lucky, Check out the newer ones from HD. I put a set on Rex and they are great for cruise nights or around town but loose out above 60 mph and when pulling a long hill Rex's pipes drown them out. The install was actually easy, the wiring harness being designed for HDs, It took me about 1 to 2 hours. Not as cheap as some but less than others. Look good on Rex too.

• March 28, 2014 7:34 AM PDT
     Hey Lucky, 
    I have an 01 road king and I purchased and installed a handlebar system from HD. It's the boom audio system with 3" speakers and amp, it comes with the bar mount control, amp and iPod plug in for $400. I looked at several different ones and for the price it's excellent quality sound at high speed. Cycle sounds.com has a comparable product but it's more expensive so I went with the HD brand. They have a handle bar mount and a windshield mount system, anyway hope this helps.
  • June 22, 2014 1:12 PM PDT
    We had the HD system installed on our Heritage and love it ! Great sound and surprised at how clear it still sounds at higher speeds " of course system turned up " We run ours through our phone, they sell a magnet type case to set on the tank witch works great and water proof. Down side is on a hot day I find my Iphone over heating in the sun! We found it best to leave it plugged in and let it set in leather case that sits above handle bars and mounted to windsheild ! A bit pricey for 400 not including labor but the chrome speakers look nice on the handle bars
  • August 27, 2014 11:22 AM PDT
    Replaced the cycle sound speakers with a fairing that came with a stereo. Replaced that stereo with a Kenwood and the 6"x9" speakers with kicker speakers and I'm more than good to go. High speeds not a problem. The only problem is it doesn't have progressive volume. Other than that it's great and good wind protection too. Oh yeah, went all yuppie and installed a cup/bottle holder too. What was I thinking not doing that??? Now through the desert (SoCal) I have my cool vest, tunes and a sippy cup. Life is good!