I'm new and have a weird electrical issue

• March 14, 2015 8:24 AM PDT
    I have an 07 FXDB that I have had a little over a year now.  Over the last few months the bike would occasionally sputter on me as if it was starving for fuel or air.  It has progressively gotten worse.  I have taken it to a V-twin mechanic and the local HD and they can never get the bike to duplicate the problem.  It is also not throwing any codes.  Most of the time the bike will die momentarily, then fire right back up again (at a stop sign or at 90 on the freeway), but when it does the speedometer will drop completely off line then come back up.  A couple of times now she has died on me completely, and when it does I have no lights, no brake lights, no nothing, except for the oil light (not really a fun feeling at 2 in the morning on the freeway after passing a semi). I had removed the fuel pak that was on it when I bought the bike at the advice of a certified HD mechanic, I rechecked all my electrical connectors and fuses and it had been running great for a few days with no hiccups.  Wednesday night on my way home from work it began to sputter a little bit the last few miles of my trip.  I got it home and prepared to ride it to work again Thursday.  She bagan sputtering worse and I did not feel like getting stranded so I took the truck.  I replaced the battery in my security fob yesterday thinking that maybe that could have been it after reading some other forums.  Nope, after dying on me again it is now sitting in the garage with just the oil light on.  I will get an odometer reading from pushing the button, but that is it.  The battery is at 13.7 V and is on a trickle charger, but I get nothing from turning the key.  I have tried disconnecting the battery to reset it, but to no avail.

Any help, advice, pointers, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Adam

• March 14, 2015 8:25 AM PDT
    Here is a different YouTube link to what's going on now.

https://youtu.be/WNHFsrfZL7U
    • 10 posts
    March 14, 2015 10:22 AM PDT
    I don't know newer bikes. Check grounds or a loose connection. Start looking from battery. Maybe charging system is unplugged or insulation rubbed through on a wire and grounding/.
  • March 14, 2015 11:07 AM PDT
    panheadgeorge wrote...
    I don't know newer bikes. Check grounds or a loose connection. Start looking from battery. Maybe charging system is unplugged or insulation rubbed through on a wire and grounding/.

I thought it could be a loose ground but I have checked all of that. Charging system works as advertised, when bike is running the battery reads over 14V on my multi meter.  Now it's just sitting there with the oil light illuminated and nothing happens when I turn on the key.

• 1855 posts
    March 14, 2015 12:58 PM PDT
    Crank shaft module
    • 84 posts
    March 15, 2015 12:35 AM PDT
    I've got an '07 FXDL and so far have been able to troubleshoot and fix all the electrical problems with the Electrical Diagnostic Manual and breakout boxes but this has me at a loss. So far I've found nothing about only the oil pressure light on. If it was only the security or check engine light staying on that would be simple to start hunting.

You've gone into the speedometer self diagnostics mode and there are no codes? Even if it was an intermittent problem there would be a code set at least as historical.

It just sits with the oil light on and key off. When you turn on the key no lights or starter. Just the oil light still on.

I've a friend I'll be speaking with tomorrow that's pretty sharp on Harleys and I'll rattle his head a little.

• 19037 posts
    March 15, 2015 12:42 AM PDT
    I had a similar problem with Rex (04 King). It turned out to be the kill switch intermittently going to high resistance (a switch should be either open or infinite resistance). A quick flick of the switch would clear the difficulty and it would be fine for some time. It was damned annoying especially when accelerating...
  • March 15, 2015 4:30 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    I've got an '07 FXDL and so far have been able to troubleshoot and fix all the electrical problems with the Electrical Diagnostic Manual and breakout boxes but this has me at a loss. So far I've found nothing about only the oil pressure light on. If it was only the security or check engine light staying on that would be simple to start hunting.

You've gone into the speedometer self diagnostics mode and there are no codes? Even if it was an intermittent problem there would be a code set at least as historical.

It just sits with the oil light on and key off. When you turn on the key no lights or starter. Just the oil light still on.

I've a friend I'll be speaking with tomorrow that's pretty sharp on Harleys and I'll rattle his head a little.
    Thank you, I really appreciate it. As of now the bike has just been sitting for two days with the oil light constantly on.  When I turn the key to the "ignition" position the oil light will dim and speedo will jump slightly.  If I turn to the "ACC" position my tach will display and speedo light will come on.  Still no "check engine" "Securtiy" "Nuetral" "Fuel" or nothing else.  No fuel pump noise or anything.  I'm really at a loss.  I know bike ownership comes with a cost and repairs but this is becoming far more trouble than it should be.

Thanks again Road Dog.  You can feel free to email me directly if your friend has any advice: adampontsler@gmail.com

• 9 posts
    March 16, 2015 3:09 AM PDT
    Check your wiring harness. You may have a problem under your seat.

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • March 16, 2015 6:44 AM PDT
    I've checked the wiring harness, everything seems to be okay. The bike is still sitting with the oil pressure light on with the key removed. I will put the key in and turn it to "ignition" and nothing changes, still oil pressure light on, nothing else. If I turn the key to "ACC" My speedo light will come on and my odometer will be on, but nothing else.
    • 1855 posts
    March 16, 2015 7:59 AM PDT
    You will not always get a code for some inexplicable reason but I'm still leaning towards a sensor...crankshaft position sensor. However, you say you checked all the wiring but dead shorts aren't always so easy to find either. Please don't leave us hanging when you find out the cause.
    • 1855 posts
    March 16, 2015 7:59 AM PDT
    You will not always get a code for some inexplicable reason but I'm still leaning towards a sensor...crankshaft position sensor. However, you say you checked all the wiring but dead shorts aren't always so easy to find either. Please don't leave us hanging when you find out the cause.
  • March 16, 2015 8:16 AM PDT
    Jimmyacorn wrote...

Would a bad CKP leave my bike in its current disposition with the oil pressure light remaining constantly on when the bike is off and the key removed?  I checked the oil pressure sensor wiring and there is no evidence of fraying or crimping.  When disconnecting that lead the light goes out as it should though.

I'm at such a loss. I understand this kind of stuff goes hand in hand with bike ownership, but I sold an old CB750 Cafe that I built to get something "more reliable" and it never gave me problems like this. 

• 5420 posts
    March 16, 2015 11:53 AM PDT
    I would check the System Relay (main relay) located in the fuse panel. I have seen these cause lots of weird problems including the bike shutting completely down.

One other thing you may want to try is to disconnect the batter for a bit to reset everything and see if that oil pressure light goes out. That is very strange... it is almost like the bike things the ignition is on, or at least some portion of it.
    • 10 posts
    March 16, 2015 12:21 PM PDT
    If oil stays on with key off, something is powering the circuit or grounding the oil switch .
  • March 16, 2015 5:27 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    I would check the System Relay (main relay) located in the fuse panel. I have seen these cause lots of weird problems including the bike shutting completely down.

One other thing you may want to try is to disconnect the batter for a bit to reset everything and see if that oil pressure light goes out. That is very strange... it is almost like the bike things the ignition is on, or at least some portion of it.

Thanks Lucky,  I tried disconnecting the battery for a good couple hours and as soon as I hooked it back up the light came right back on. 

I've also checked the Oil Pressure sensor wiring, when I disconnect it from the sensor the light comes off but stays on when hooked back up.  Could there be something in the sump between the contacts opening the circuit to keep the light on?
    • 5420 posts
    March 16, 2015 5:34 PM PDT
    Hmmmmm. The oil pressure light is normally on when the bike is turned on but not running - because there is no pressure. If the light is on when the bike is turned off there is something else wrong. Connected or not connect the oil pressure light should NEVER be on when the ignition is turned off.
  • March 16, 2015 10:37 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    Hmmmmm. The oil pressure light is normally on when the bike is turned on but not running - because there is no pressure. If the light is on when the bike is turned off there is something else wrong. Connected or not connect the oil pressure light should NEVER be on when the ignition is turned off.

HAHAHA.  Welcome to my nightmare.

• March 17, 2015 12:46 AM PDT
    Ignition switch possibly the culprit
    • 44 posts
    March 17, 2015 4:03 PM PDT
    just a question does if the oil pressure sensor is bad it will tell the computer no oil and bike will shut down and also not start at least that's what happened to my 08 FXSTC replaced sw and all good just a thought
  • March 18, 2015 5:53 AM PDT
    I had the same issues with my Lil' sporty, drove me up the wall. Checked everything, couldnt find it. Then one night I turned the key on and had nothing. Jiggled the key a bit and had full power. I replaced the ignition switch with a generic J&P model for $20- and all of the whacky intermintent electrical issues went away.
  • March 18, 2015 9:26 AM PDT
    Thank you Speedyre and Skyhorse. I am going to check the system and starter relays as suggested by Lucky and Snake. Then the oil pressure sensor and lastly the ignition. The weather is so nice out here in Southern California and all I want to do is go ride right now. I'll keep you all posted.
    • 5420 posts
    March 18, 2015 10:33 AM PDT
    Where in So Cal are you ?
  • March 18, 2015 5:10 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    Where in So Cal are you ?

I'm in Temecula.  I went back to a local V-Twin guy who had done some other repairs on my bike and explained to him in great detail everything that is going on with the bike.  He urged me to take it straight to Harley and let them handle it.  So the people from Quaid are coming to pick it up tomorrow.

I am not looking forward to what this is going to look like, but they are leaning towards the ECM or Ignition now.
    • 5420 posts
    March 18, 2015 6:20 PM PDT
    Best of luck with the repairs, I have heard good things about Quaid so hopefully they take good care of you.

On another note... We are over the hill in Lake Forest but ride down your way a lot. Have good friends in Rainbow & Temecula and a son in Murrieta. I'll let you know next time we are riding in the area if you want to join us.