I'm new and have a weird electrical issue

• March 19, 2015 6:30 AM PDT
    Sounds good, and thank you
  • March 21, 2015 7:51 PM PDT
    A buddy of mine had a similar type of problem and it turned out to be his ignition switch. Harley told him he damaged it by having a big heavy wad of keys bouncing all around. He changed it and got back to normal. BTW I never let a battery go over 4 years on my touring bikes. The numbers are all good but piece of mine in timbuk2 is worth it. I'm in Escondido so hello neighbor!
    • 84 posts
    March 27, 2015 5:57 PM PDT
    So, it's been at Harley over a week now.  Have they figured out the problem yet?  If not, how long does it take for a dealer to trouble shoot a bike in the US?

As the owner of an '07 Dyna that's had some electrical issues I'm kinda interested in what the problem was.
    • 19040 posts
    March 27, 2015 11:25 PM PDT
    Yeah, did they figure it out...
    • 19040 posts
    March 30, 2015 11:59 PM PDT
    C'mon man, let all the people that offered advice know the answer...
  • April 2, 2015 7:47 AM PDT
    Haha. Sorry to keep you all hanging in suspense. So after a week of not hearing anything back I called the dealership to find out that they had found a bad connector and that parts were on order. Another week later and I was notified it was fixed. The culprit: bad speed sensor connection and a broken wire. The fix: less than $10 in parts and 2.5 hours of labor. For the life of me I could not explain or figure out how the speed sensor would give me the oil pressure light, but I'm happy with that and just thankful it wasn't the ECM or the ignition. Picked it up yesterday before work and rode her there and back and she ran flawlessly. Thank you all for your help, suggestions, and interest.

Adam
    • 1855 posts
    April 2, 2015 9:12 AM PDT
    Great news. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. The thing about those sensors and modules is that they really control so much more than what one thinks. A diagnosis I once had said it was a bad alternator as indicated by the computer that analyzed the problem through a path that went through the crank module. Turns out it wasn't the alternator at all but a bad crank module. Stupid shit if you ask me. My old shovel is simple. It's either electrical or it'll blow up. LOL

Peace
    • 19040 posts
    April 3, 2015 11:51 PM PDT
    Cool...happy it is running right