Who misses the ol kickstarts?

• 513 posts
    January 25, 2010 1:07 AM PST
    I miss kick starts, my nose does not, nor do my knees.
    But I think that kick starts on bikes look right.
  • January 26, 2010 1:29 PM PST
    I do miss them, but than I don't. If I'm out just riding to ride, I would love to have an old kicker. Like many have said, nothing like jumping down on it twisting the throttle and felling the power. But I also ride to work, and at 6am, before I even had my coffee, or after a hard day of work, pushing the button and going sure is nice.
    • 190 posts
    January 28, 2010 11:18 AM PST
    Dragon...you are one funny ass dude...for real!!!!!!
  • February 5, 2010 1:03 AM PST
    I miss laughing at them hopping around cussing up a storm............
  • February 10, 2010 1:22 PM PST
    I still have a lump on the inside of my right calf from trying to get a '73 TX750 started last summer. Damn thing would fire, think you have it ready to start - then backfire and bang my leg. Finally got it going. Sold it to a friend of my son. Now I've got a 77 XS650 - starter is bad - gotta kick it - gonna wear shin pads on the inside of my leg.
    • 844 posts
    February 11, 2010 5:29 AM PST
    I miss watching others kick 'em, but I sure don't miss kickin' mine all that much. Wore through the sole on a good set of Cowboy boots with my old stubborn shovel!
    • 6 posts
    February 14, 2010 3:25 PM PST
    The Hawk doesn't have one, I know a lot of them did. I really wish it had one, though, battery's gone out once or twice. Good thing it's easy to push start, but I'd have loved to kick her over instead. Dad's 650 Yamaha has both; that's the way to go. He still kicks his, especially in the colder weather. It'd be easier to do with the electric, but I guess he doesn't want to burn up his starter. Don't blame him, those things ain't cheap!
  • June 26, 2010 10:36 AM PDT
    I THINK FOR THE MOST PART IT SOUND LIKE A BUNCH OF PUSSIES SOUNDING OFF. THE SLEDS YOU ENJOY TODAY ARE FOUNDED ON KICKSTARTS. I HAVE A 75 ELECTRAGLIDE THAT I PUT A KICKSTART ON JUST BECAUSE. WILLY G SAW YA ALL COMING AND HAS GOTTEN FILTHY RICH OFF YOU CANDY ASSES.
  • June 26, 2010 10:57 AM PDT
    ... Was glad to have the kicker last weekend when the Yam was having charging problems coming home fro Detroit !
    ... Old Honda Dreams & Super Hawks had both...
    ... One fond memory was on first visit to CALIF way back when --- watched a nice old Harley chopper (80" flathead) toss a queer in pink leather and rhinestones over the handlebars and onto his nose in the middle of Hollywood Blvd...
    ... Sorry ! Can't help it ! Political correctness in that category is NOT my strong point... :-P
  • June 26, 2010 4:57 PM PDT
    I must admit, I don't miss the kickers though I've had a couple. But I remember bringing my first bike home in buckets ('70 Honda CB 350) when I was 17 years old. Two of my uncles help me put it together, then we took turns kickin' her over until she started. Man, what a great feeling for a kid and his first road bike!
  • g
    June 26, 2010 5:12 PM PDT
    as dyna said ,dont miss the soar leg when it whacks it likes ,lol....any way that was long b4 my time .
  • June 27, 2010 4:42 AM PDT
    I don't, my old Triumph bonny used to kick back like a bytch and hence the oldtimers limp
  • June 27, 2010 1:57 PM PDT
    i will say it again, there is nothing better than bringing some old basket case back to life and getting it to a point where she starts in 1 or 2 kicks. It is so cool to walk out of a bar have a bunch of guys standing around the bike and she fires right up.
    • 9 posts
    February 10, 2011 12:47 PM PST
    Had an old Bonne that started on the first kick every time, unless I had just started some sh!t in a bar......
    • 846 posts
    February 11, 2011 12:52 AM PST
    There’s part of me that misses the old kick starter. Then there are parts of me that don’t like my knee. When they fired up there was nothing like it. When it back kicked, well that’s another think. As much as I would like one today I don’t thing would use it much.
    • 19034 posts
    February 11, 2011 12:56 AM PST
    bullmoose wrote...
    i will say it again, there is nothing better than bringing some old basket case back to life and getting it to a point where she starts in 1 or 2 kicks. It is so cool to walk out of a bar have a bunch of guys standing around the bike and she fires right up.

Hey Moose and Rockbottom,
    Once, and only once, in front of an audience my Bonnie started went I barely touched the kicker. I guess one of the pistons was in the perfect spot, and when I slightly moved the pedal the points (remember them) opened or closed, sent the spark and she lit. My audience (and I) were impressed.

• February 12, 2011 12:34 PM PST
    My coolness misses them.

My leg does not.
  • March 22, 2011 5:58 AM PDT
    Got one now.....what the hell am I thinkin'.......
  • March 26, 2011 11:52 PM PDT
    now this here is fun
  • March 27, 2011 2:27 AM PDT
    bullmoose wrote...
    now this here is fun

IS HE COMMING OR GOING ???
  • March 27, 2011 3:01 AM PDT
    I'm not a kick start guy. Oh well. But if it throws ya off like that? LOL. I do remember my brother syaing his foot hurt like hell cause of kickbacks.
  • March 27, 2011 6:30 PM PDT
    I had a triumph chopper kick back and stuff my knee into the corner of a then cool set of flanders Z bars... fractured knee cap. I had to use my left leg to kick bikes for a year before I could use my right leg without pain... I had an old 86 inch shovel down to a 1 kick bike, and I refused to use the electric start... The theory was that if I was too drunk to kick the bike, I was too drunk to ride....I am not sure how I lived through those days