You spent how much?

• 1855 posts
    April 15, 2014 10:21 AM PDT
    Since retiring in 2008 we’ve travelled via motorcycle every summer except one. For those of you who do a good deal of motorcycle travel, I was curious as to how much you think it costs you per mile; include food, fuel, accommodations, and stuff you really don’t need but somehow just have to have.
    Because we don’t camp anymore it’s pretty expensive but it’s still worth it to me. We save all winter long so we can enjoy being in the wind. So, what do you say? Per mile, per trip, how much do you spend? Curious to know if it is close to what we spend.  Remember it's per mile.

Peace
  • April 15, 2014 10:37 AM PDT
    Were not retired yet so all of our bike trips are to destinations/rally's. We stay in hotels along the way but when we reach our destination we still camp in a tent that we pack on our bike. We tend to not buy lots of shirts/souvenirs when we are out on the road anymore because we tend to go to the same destinations each year. With all that being said just making a guess I would have to say about 75 cents to 1 dollar per mile is about right.
    • 1855 posts
    April 15, 2014 11:13 AM PDT
    Well I'm with you wheels. A 5,000 mile trip is going to cost us close to that in dollars. That's why we save up during the winter; even if I did buy that old shovelhead this winter. LOL So maybe we'll only take a 1,000 mile trip.....NOT. I'm sure we'll be stretching our finances this year that's for sure. We're very fortunate in our retirement years as long as we stay healthy.

Peace
  • April 15, 2014 11:18 AM PDT
    Are we including the cost of weed now...? Cuz that shit is getting expensive!
    • 1855 posts
    April 15, 2014 11:45 AM PDT
    Trippin wrote...
    Are we including the cost of weed now...? Cuz that shit is getting expensive!

I did say including the stuff you don't need but just have to have.  LOL
    • 1 posts
    April 15, 2014 11:58 AM PDT
    How much money per mile. I know for a tight wad like me, our trips averages out to be about what Wheels estimated about 75 cents to 1 dollar per mile. This includes the cost for gas for two bikes, meals, motels, attractions, and other stuff. Sometimes the cost is less, depends on the cost of motels and meals. We found that eating in restaurants 3 times a day for 10 days gets real expensive and tiresome. To cut back on restaurants we either have continental breakfast or microwave oatmeal and motel coffee in our room and for lunches we pack our lunches in our motorcycle cooler bag and have our lunch when and where we want. This saves us time in not eating in restaurants and $$$$$$.

If you want to rough out a budget consider this. $100 a day for rooms, $75 a day for meals for 2 people more if you are big eater, fuel depends on cost of fuel and miles per gallon and miles driven, you do the math on that. Miscellaneous spending you figure that out to.Maintenance on your bike and emergency funds $500 at a minimum. After you add all this up then add another 10 percent for the unforeseen things. Remember this is a rough estimate, enough to get you in the ball park.
    • 5420 posts
    April 15, 2014 12:21 PM PDT
    It depends on where I am going I guess. When I head somewhere I go a lot like out to Arizona or up north I tend not to be to touristy and pretty much know where I can eat and sleep at a good deal. Those trips can be down around $.50 per mile - 1000 mile three day trip, $500 is about right.

Now when I head somewhere I never been I tend to be a little more touristy - picking up shirts, hat and other misc souvenirs, not knowing where to get the best deals on eat and sleep... those normally about the $.75 to $1.00 per mile.

Then there are the real budget trips we take when we just want to get away for the weekend but don't want to spend any money. We will normally camp the entire time and cook all meals at camp.. Those are probably less then $.30 a mile and sometimes our most fun trips.
  • April 15, 2014 4:30 PM PDT
    Well it depends on the trip. Last year, I went on a 700 mile trip with the guys and probably spend $150 on the whole trip. That figures out to be $.21 a mile. Then later last year, I took two trips with my wife. We bought stuff, stayed in nicer motels and the meals were for two. I figure those trips cost $1 per mile. All trips were fun and worth the money spent.
  • April 16, 2014 12:42 AM PDT
    8233 mile trip spent about 4K=.50 cents-------close-----LOL
    • 846 posts
    April 16, 2014 4:55 AM PDT
    For me and I'm riding solo I figure it by the week. I do a combination of camping and motels so it can be more or lets. I do only two meals a day no lunch. I use a figure of 1,000 bucks a week more or less. Sometimes more like 100 bucks a day. That include food lodging, gas and all other costs. My mileage can be all over the place as I do what ever the day brings.
    • 1 posts
    April 17, 2014 2:33 AM PDT
    I have never put a cost to it, not retired and still my favorite thing to do. So if Wooly and are are traveling by ourselves figure:
    2 bikes 3 fill ups a day at 45$ each. 135
    hotel for the night 100- 150$ with breakfast. 125
    dinner 20$ each 40
    munchies for the sadde bags 20$ a day. 20
    suviors once a trip 150$ (usually for others) 150

Damn I should have never started putting money to my favorite thing on earth. Wooly man is right I am no longer a cheap date, lol.
    • 1855 posts
    April 17, 2014 4:50 AM PDT
    Hell Bitchy!! Bikers are never cheap dates; male or female.

LOL Peace
  • April 17, 2014 5:56 AM PDT
    Yesterday I rode about 1 mile. Bar tabs and food totaled a little over $200.00. $200 per mile about right
    • 57 posts
    April 17, 2014 9:36 AM PDT
    All I can say is its a good thing no one ever asked me how much the price per pound was for the 35 years of bowhunting Elk and Deer,some trips took several years to save for others were every year, Im sure your estimates are pretty close but I Cant put a price on doing things I enjoy,If it makes you smile and its something you enjoy just Do it
  • April 17, 2014 11:26 AM PDT
    Damn Dave.....$200.00??? was there a guy saying stuff like, all ladies up all tops down. Now dancing center stage itssssss Mercedes.....
  • April 17, 2014 9:07 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    It depends on where I am going I guess. When I head somewhere I go a lot like out to Arizona or up north I tend not to be to touristy and pretty much know where I can eat and sleep at a good deal. Those trips can be down around $.50 per mile - 1000 mile three day trip, $500 is about right.

Now when I head somewhere I never been I tend to be a little more touristy - picking up shirts, hat and other misc souvenirs, not knowing where to get the best deals on eat and sleep... those normally about the $.75 to $1.00 per mile.

Then there are the real budget trips we take when we just want to get away for the weekend but don't want to spend any money. We will normally camp the entire time and cook all meals at camp.. Those are probably less then $.30 a mile and sometimes our most fun trips.

Don't let Ron fool you!  Sometimes we ride less than 10 miles and spend hundreds for the whole day of drinking! About 20 dollars a mile or so!!

• 1516 posts
    April 18, 2014 2:45 AM PDT
    lol Wheels or stopping to eat every minutes... lol
    • 5420 posts
    April 18, 2014 2:49 AM PDT
    Hey now!!! Nothing wrong with enjoying eating and drinking!
  • April 18, 2014 3:20 AM PDT
    Wheels is right on. it doesn't take long to spend a lot. There are over 70 bars and restaurants with-in 4 miles of my house. I can crawl home from 20+, couldn't begin to count a 10 mile stretch. LOL I'm a regular at most all of them. Food on average is $15-$30, Drinks are about $5-$9 each plus the little extras they throw in, it adds up quick. and I go to the cheaper places.
    • 1855 posts
    April 18, 2014 7:07 AM PDT
    Geesh people. I was just talking about the money you spend when travelling long distances or vacations; not your bar hopping or week-end poker runs or taking the OL out for dinner. Still, you've all been amusing to say the least. Personally I can't even calculate how much I spend just "owning" a motorcycle. I get a bug up my arse and I buy apes or something.

Peace
    • 1 posts
    April 19, 2014 1:45 AM PDT
    Jimmy acorn The Wooly man and myself say the only reason we still work is to support our motorcycles. It is not far from the truth! Yesterday just putting around town
    filled 5 motorcycles tanks up $135
    battery for Mydol 90
    new seat for the new old girl 230
    cables misc. gaskets first wife 150
    Yep only reason I still work, besides I would get into to much trouble left to my own devices for to long.
    • 284 posts
    April 22, 2014 11:35 AM PDT
    I guess since I have not done anything but Day Trips since I got my New Sporty 2 years ago I am probably about .50\\Fifty Cents per mile. That includes Meals, places of interest with admission and gas....

I guess If I do an over nighter I will hit at least $1.00 per mile.
    • 84 posts
    June 17, 2014 4:29 AM PDT
    I just last night got back from a 5500 km (3400 miles) 9 day trip. Hotels at night, good dinners and lunch quick on the road. Gas from $7.25 to $10.12 per gallon. Not done with completely figuring out the money yet but expect things to be around $2500. So that would make it $0.73 per mile riding solo.
  • June 20, 2014 1:06 AM PDT
    Snakechrmr, didn't you say you live in Portugal. That must have been one epic trip. How many different countries did you visit?
    • 84 posts
    June 20, 2014 6:00 AM PDT
    Fred77 wrote...
    Snakechrmr, didn't you say you live in Portugal. That must have been one epic trip. How many different countries did you visit?

Went through Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Slovenia and Croatia.