Olympics

• 5420 posts
    February 9, 2014 2:04 AM PST
    The Olympics are finally here.  I just love the Olympics, both summer and winter.  Don't know exactly what it ios that keeps me glued to the TV for two weeks, but I watch just about every event.

I think it is a combination of...

Having a Team USA to root for and everyone I know is rooting for the same team.

The pride and determination you see in the young athletes especially when the stand on the podium while the United States National  Anthem is played.

The fact that I see and learn about sports I don't usually watch.

USA, USA, USA!!!
    • 16843 posts
    February 9, 2014 3:56 AM PST
    A local guy is competing in the skeleton. Looks like fun.
  • February 9, 2014 4:12 AM PST
    RevBigJohn wrote...

While I enjoy watching it, any event named "skeleton" should be avoided at any cost.

Jon

• 5420 posts
    February 9, 2014 4:37 AM PST
    Soon as I find some ice I am going to start training for Curling!!!
    • 16843 posts
    February 9, 2014 2:45 PM PST
    JonCallihan wrote...
    RevBigJohn wrote...

While I enjoy watching it, any event named "skeleton" should be avoided at any cost.

Jon

I have a skeleton key somewhere, but I don't think those things need one.

• 16843 posts
    February 9, 2014 2:48 PM PST
    Lucky wrote...

I have plenty of ice, almost a whole lake of it, my wife has a curling iron.
    What else would we need?

• 5420 posts
    February 10, 2014 1:23 AM PST
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    Lucky wrote...

I have plenty of ice, almost a whole lake of it, my wife has a curling iron.
    What else would we need?

From what I've seen John you need ice, a rock and a broom.  I am sure beer or whiskey was also included when they first came up with the sport curling!!!
    • 5420 posts
    February 10, 2014 4:46 AM PST
    Early medal count we are a little behind, but I think we can increase the medals in the upcoming sports.  It was great to hear our National Anthem as the first one played this Olympis since we won the first gold in snowboarding!  Bummer to see Bodie miss out on a medal in downhill though

Country
    Gold
    Silver
    Bronze
    Total

Netherlands

Canada

Norway

United States

Germany

Russia

Austria
    • 5420 posts
    February 11, 2014 3:03 AM PST
    That was some great skiing last night... both moguls and the the Alpine combined. The Alpine combine was the best with Julia Mancuso taking the Bronze. I know she is a great skier, but when you look at the competition she had to have the runs of her life to get on the podium.

• 834 posts
    February 13, 2014 1:49 AM PST
    Some awesome skiing last night. Fist time I have ever seen a tie in a race that long.
    • 5420 posts
    February 13, 2014 2:40 AM PST
    That tie was friggin amazing. Skiing almost two miles at downhill speeds to tie to the 100th of a second! I was rooting for Tina Maze since the US was out of the medals and she was ahead right down to the last turn.

We are still holding our own even for the winter Olympics.  Tied for 2nd in both overall medals and Golds!!!

Country
    Gold
    Silver
    Bronze
    Total

Germany

Canada

Norway

Netherlands

United States

Switzerland

Russia

China

France

Poland

Austria

Slovenia

South Korea

Belarus

Slovakia
  • February 13, 2014 3:55 AM PST
    for some reason I haven't watched the Olympics this yr. Shame I like them
  • February 13, 2014 5:08 AM PST
    I vote that an competitive eating event be added to the games.
    • 1855 posts
    February 13, 2014 6:57 AM PST
    aquadave wrote...
    for some reason I haven't watched the Olympics this yr. Shame I like them

I like 'em as well.  I use to watch all the time but lately I'm fed up with the endless commentary and all the commercial breaks.  Hell, the reason I don't watch much t.v. at all is due to the commercial breaks.....2 minutes of story, 5 minutes of commercial, then 45 seconds of story and back to commercial again; on and on and on.

Remember (anyone?) when FM radio was nearly commercial free? God I'm old!!!

Peace
  • February 14, 2014 10:14 AM PST
    I still do listen to "mostly" commercial free FM radio. PBR. Locally, an all Jazz station AND an all classical station. I feel I'm blessed.

Jon
    • 1855 posts
    February 15, 2014 12:40 AM PST
    We now have Sirus radio and that's great!!
    • 3006 posts
    February 15, 2014 4:24 AM PST
    For any number of reasons I havent kept up with the games.In general I feel that they still promote the international spirit of competition,yet have become way over commercialized.
    The amount of commercials between the events is really over the top and takes away from the viewing experience a lot.I guess I am spoiled here, I recall when a whole event might only have a few commercial breaks.
    Still having difficulty dealing with the whole split 2yr winter/summer games concept,I liked it much better the old way.A lot of times new & improved is really just a crock !!!
    • 5420 posts
    February 15, 2014 12:48 PM PST
    US beat Russia in Hockey!!! Just one of the prelims games, but we won in overtime. There is a real good chance we will play them again for a medal!!!
    • 5420 posts
    February 18, 2014 2:44 AM PST
    We are tied with Russia for the most total medals !!!!  But for some reason those countries with lots of snow and huge mountains are still ahead in gold medals...

Good to see old Bob Costas back.  Olympics just weren't the same without him :-)

Country
    Gold
    Silver
    Bronze
    Total

Germany

Norway

Netherlands

Russia

United States

Switzerland

Belarus

Canada

Poland

China

• February 18, 2014 6:38 AM PST
    Well this is something I just didn't know until recently..........Just to make sure the damn IRS gets there share.....
    I didn't know that a dollar amount is assigned to each Medal, and I can't remember the amount for gold, silver, and bronze, but the winners of medals have to pay taxes on the medals they win. I assure you I will not get up on this box.......but come on paying taxes on the medals. I hate paying taxes to an organization that can't even keep there own books straight. OK that's it done

Dragon
  • February 18, 2014 6:58 AM PST
    I love the Olympics also and now its even better that you can get it on so many channels. I love speed skating anf hockey.
    • 5420 posts
    February 18, 2014 7:08 AM PST
    Yeah, I get it on three channels so I record 2 and watch one live. Then when the coverage stops I can watch the recorded ones. Been watching like 10 hours a day (I can see the TV from where my desk is!)

I like the short track speed skating more than the long track... much more intense!

And don't forget about curling. Still trying to figure it out completely so I can train for 2018!
  • February 18, 2014 8:15 AM PST
    I hate to admit it but I really enjoyed the American ice dancing pair last night when they won the gold medal. If I could do any of the events at the winter games I would like to be one of the ski jumpers.
    • 5420 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:19 AM PST
    wheels wrote...
    I hate to admit it but I really enjoyed the American ice dancing pair last night when they won the gold medal. If I could do any of the events at the winter games I would like to be one of the ski jumpers.

Now that I would pay big bucks to see!!!!

• 5420 posts
    February 20, 2014 1:13 AM PST
    USA picking up a few more medals yesterday.  Great jobs in Mens Giant Slolam by Ted Ligiy with Gold, David Wise with Gold in Half Pipe Skiing and the Women picking up Silver and Bronze in Bob Sleding.  Puts us in the lead for overall medals and 3rd for Gold medals.  I am thinking we can get a couple more Golds, but not enough to take 1st in Golds... maybe pass Germany for 2nd.

Women are playing for Gold in Hockey this morning against Canada.  That is going to be a GREAT game and a real upset WHEN we beat them at their National Sport!!! 

Country
    Gold
    Silver
    Bronze
    Total

Norway

Germany

United States

Russia

Netherlands

Switzerland

Canada