what do you do for work

• January 16, 2010 11:15 AM PST
    WORK??? Well, I used to do a lot of Striper Fishing. But now I'm full time on one of the Bikes so that don't leave much time for anything else! Just can't seem to fit it in anymore... It's ok, I don't miss it!!!! Sarge....
    • 513 posts
    January 16, 2010 11:30 AM PST
    SingSing, you must be one hard as nails dude!

I know some guys who have done your job here in Ireland and they are as we call them 'hardy feckers'

There are some really cool people on here who have both great jobs but have some fantastic stories of life to tell.
  • January 16, 2010 11:46 AM PST
    I truck, I drive a truck for Fedex. I drive from Louisville Ky. to St. Louis Mo. every night. Sounds kinda boring compared to the rest, but it pays the bills. Keep on Truckin........
    • 277 posts
    January 16, 2010 12:23 PM PST
    I'm a Business Insurance Agent. Borrrrrring.
    • 2072 posts
    January 16, 2010 12:35 PM PST
    Spent 28 years in construction of one type or another.... Project management, design work, hammer swinger, wholesale/retail sales you name it. Retired, went back to school and became a Surgical Technician. Went from cuttin' up wood to cuttin' up people!!!! Injured my right shoulder two years ago, have had two surgeries on it and have been told it's not going to get any better. So....... the hospital I work for (where I was injured at) has decided they can no longer use my services (as of today matter of fact) as my lifting ability is restricted. So, for now I sit at my computer and buy & sell on E-bay (along with spending A LOT of time on Cyclefish). Things are going to get better though by the grace of God and a damn good attorney !!!!!!
  • April 21, 2010 5:07 AM PDT
    Currently working as elevator mechanic assistant at UVA, hoping to pass my CET this September and make mechanic. Before that I was the fitness equipment technician for 7 years at UVA's Intramural Department, before that an electrician for the Athletic department at UVA for a year. Before that I was a car wash mechanic for self service equipment and tunnel car washes in VA and MD for 7 years. Got my start as a residential electrician in 1985. If it has wires on it or in it, I will attempt to work on it.
    • 1509 posts
    April 21, 2010 5:33 AM PDT
    I am an operator in water quality in the oldest steel making facility of United States Steel. I work in the power house. In the back ground is the Westinghouse bridge which is paet of the Lincoln highway on rt 30, it spans the Westinghouse valley where george started his mega corp. that is where the Generators for the hoover dam were manufactured and machined also in that valley is the home of Westing house Air brake. Train buffs will know the sugnificantence of that creation. And in the fore ground are the 2 remaining blast furnaces in Pennsylvania of the J. Edgar Tompson Plant. Train buffs will know that name from the Penna. Railroad.
    • 6 posts
    April 21, 2010 5:34 AM PDT
    I work in a warehouse for a food vending company called AVI, I'm also in Bible college and am a (volunteer) youth Pastor and worship leader at my church. I consider that my job, the AVI thing just pays my bills... sort of. When it doesn't pay my bills, I wrench on cars in my garage for a little under the table cash. Nothing really major, brakes, tune-ups, exhaust, tire repair, basic diagnostics. I'm working on getting the tools to do more involved jobs, but that's expensive when you consider today's cars. Everything I know about cars I either learned on my own 'cause I had to know, or I picked up from my dad.
  • April 21, 2010 6:02 AM PDT
    Square peg here that finally really doesn't care whether she can fit in the round hole anymore.

I have worked in the Mental Health field as a counselor for those transitioning from institutional to community life.
    I have worked as a book keeper, office manager, sales clerk, and in municipal government and emergency telecommunications.
    I am a school bus driver when I feel like it... awaiting contract renewal for a summer camp.
    I started a housecleaning business in 2003 utilizing only green products which did very well.
    I have worked with the elderly and have been at the side of a beautiful woman who faced death with dignity in succumbing to Lou Gehrig's disease.
    I have a NJ class B CDL, I am a certified NJ EMT -B, I have had formal study in herbalism and nutrition and have been certified in reflexology.
    I am a mother to three children, and have been a step-mom to three really beautiful young men.

My passion, writing, is my work these days. I have been blessed to receive the financial support I need to pursue my passion and for once in my life, I have the true Love that believes in me and continues to offer an incredible and steady stream of inspiration to follow my bliss.
    • 1509 posts
    April 21, 2010 6:26 AM PDT
    ingababy wrote...
    Square peg here that finally really doesn't care whether she can fit in the round hole anymore.

I have worked in the Mental Health field as a counselor for those transitioning from institutional to community life.
    I have worked as a book keeper, office manager, sales clerk, and in municipal government and emergency telecommunications.
    I am a school bus driver when I feel like it... awaiting contract renewal for a summer camp.
    I started a housecleaning business in 2003 utilizing only green products which did very well.
    I have worked with the elderly and have been at the side of a beautiful woman who faced death with dignity in succumbing to Lou Gehrig's disease.
    I have a NJ class B CDL, I am a certified NJ EMT -B, I have had formal study in herbalism and nutrition and have been certified in reflexology.
    I am a mother to three children, and have been a step-mom to three really beautiful young men.

My passion, writing, is my work these days. I have been blessed to receive the financial support I need to pursue my passion and for once in my life, I have the true Love that believes in me and continues to offer an incredible and steady stream of inspiration to follow my bliss.

sounds to me the square peg did not lose her edge and found a square whole life to fit into!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 212 posts
    April 21, 2010 6:34 AM PDT
    MA/Officee Manager in Drs office and EMT for extreme sports company, we only medic at extreme sports! Fun stuff.
    • 86 posts
    April 21, 2010 7:36 AM PDT
    I have a degree in Professional Photography and after school was hired at one of our National Laboatorys as a photographer/printer. I've been there 20 years and have had a few career changes, I was a Urainum Handler, Waste Tech, Senior Facility Operator for a catigory 2 non reactor nuclear facility and now I'm a Maintenance Mechanic. Hey you can't make this stuff up...lol Sometimes you have to follow the road in front of you.
    • 75 posts
    April 21, 2010 7:53 AM PDT
    I waste my days working for a very large not-for-profit financial retirement corporation in downtown Denver.
  • April 21, 2010 8:15 AM PDT
    I sell classic Jaguar parts in the daytime, at night i'm in 3 different bands. I am a bass player & lead vocalist, bands range from blues to classic rock to heavy metal. I've been a musician for 41 years. I used to work in the restoration shop here for 9 years as a restoration tech, now i'm up in the front office selling parts, it's cleaner & the pay is WAY better (commission). I wish I could do music full time, but, gotta pay for the Harley!
    • 352 posts
    April 21, 2010 9:04 AM PDT
    I am a real estate investment consultant, own the company for nearly 25+ years. We buy and sell properties, work alot of helping first time homebuyers get started with their first house. We also evaluate and structure potential real estate investmement deals, residential & commercial for other investors.

I also own an internet company, for about 15 years...we do web site design & hosting (this is a hold-over from my old days as a hacker).

The wife is one of the few HUD approved housing counselors in Virginia at a non-profit company - she specializes in stopping foreclosures and getting the lenders work out payment arrangements with the homeowner so they get to keep the property.

We do a good amount of volunteer work and support a number of charities.

I actually have both companies on auto pilot so I get to play and ride alot these days...the wife calls it semi-retired
  • April 21, 2010 9:47 AM PDT
    Started real life as a rescue swimmer/aviation electrician in the U.S. Navy. Started doing fugitive recovery contracts with some friends who were retired special operators with the Navy and Air Force, turned into freelance protection and training contracts until the birth of my first. Traveling 60-90 days at a time was out of the question with kids, so we started an aircraft paint and upholstery facility to get back to my love of aviation. After 90 hrs/wk for three years straight it was obvious we had grossly underestimated the labor pool in the small town we were in and decided to shut it down to live better. Started the firearms and defensive training operation up again part time and went into Mfg management. Currently managing a small plant just south of Toledo, Ohio as an evaluation process until they give me my own plant or I get tired of this life sucking, grab-assing, Mickey Mouse political bullshit corporate environment where data grossly outweighs judgement in most situations..........anyway, until I decide I want to train/lecture fulltime bad enough and figure out a way to make it pay for itself....
    • 1780 posts
    April 21, 2010 10:17 AM PDT
    DEFCON wrote...
    Started real life as a rescue swimmer/aviation electrician in the U.S. Navy. Started doing fugitive recovery contracts with some friends who were retired special operators with the Navy and Air Force, turned into freelance protection and training contracts until the birth of my first. Traveling 60-90 days at a time was out of the question with kids, so we started an aircraft paint and upholstery facility to get back to my love of aviation. After 90 hrs/wk for three years straight it was obvious we had grossly underestimated the labor pool in the small town we were in and decided to shut it down to live better. Started the firearms and defensive training operation up again part time and went into Mfg management. Currently managing a small plant just south of Toledo, Ohio as an evaluation process until they give me my own plant or I get tired of this life sucking, grab-assing, Mickey Mouse political bullshit corporate environment where data grossly outweighs judgement in most situations..........anyway, until I decide I want to train/lecture fulltime bad enough and figure out a way to make it pay for itself....

come on Defcon don't hold back .....tell us what you really think....LOL..LOL.....Dude you sound so much like me it's scarry
    Dragon
  • April 21, 2010 11:37 AM PDT
    I have been in optical wholesale lab for nearly 35yrs. Im a supervisor and final inspector of all eyewear for Wisconsin Vision, Heartland Vision, and Eye Boutique. Have a side gigging band i drum for :< Four for the Road > we play for area chapter MCs in our area, and meet alot of brothers and sisters.
  • April 21, 2010 12:08 PM PDT
    well I've been a carpet mechanic for 3 years out of high school then got into selling parts for several Ford dealers in central VA for 20 years like defcon got tired of the political BS that went on and walked away without a clue as to what I was going to do, I got my A class CDL and started oiling on a crane, now 4 years later I'm a crane operator and I love it My brother and I operate a 350 ton 6 axle Grove crane.and work for WO Grubb in richmond VA
    • 0 posts
    April 21, 2010 12:33 PM PDT
    I have been working on cars from day 1 of my work history. If I couldn't fix it, it wasn't broke. Worked my way up to the point that I decided I could run the place better. I made an offer and bought the company I was working for. Now I let other guys work on the vehicles and I run the company.
  • April 21, 2010 1:39 PM PDT
    Not very exiting here - spent my whole life in Agriculture and education. From Vocational Agriculture teacher to my current job - university professor - fancy title for teaching Agriculture teachers.
  • April 21, 2010 2:44 PM PDT
    I was a certified Orthotist/Prosthetist for 20 years. specializing in facial restorations. I worked for the International Red Cross in third word country's. I had to come back to the states 10 years ago to care for family members and just could not get back into it here, it just wasent as rewarding anymore. Now I dont do much of anything but ride and wrench on my bikes but it would be nice to find something i like that pays
  • April 21, 2010 5:27 PM PDT
    I have done a lot but my favorite 2 were valet when I was 15 (hehe no license then) and I loved working river boats on the upper Mississippi. As of now I am a Maintenance tech at a small fiberglass plant in Zeeland MI.
  • April 21, 2010 7:46 PM PDT
    I'm a Project Manager for new computer installations at Dell. I support the military bases in Europe which is why I work strange hours. I travel to Germany every two months.....been in the business for 27 years.