Back in my day

• December 12, 2013 7:50 AM PST
    alright old folks lets hear it. Back in my day we didn't have fancy things like kill switches. We'd either pop the clutch holding down the brakes or had the piece of metal you touch to the spark plug. talk about a buzz. We didn't no twist grip throttle, we had a string tied to the carb held with our teeth, don't turn your head to see what's behind you. my wheels were made out of oak for a softer ride you use pine. Had a whale oil lamp for night riding, invention of candles were great. never leave home without a points file. we didn't have carburetors, had a needle valve to adjust gas flow then control the ignition to fit 
    • 44 posts
    December 12, 2013 7:56 AM PST
    my other ride 49cc harley motor 
  • December 12, 2013 8:09 AM PST
    Had an old 52 FL that, when the weather was below 30, I would have to take the plugs out and heat them over the stove to get it started for the first time in the mornings.
    • 5419 posts
    December 12, 2013 8:21 AM PST
    I a strange way I kind of miss all the tinkering you had to do just to keep your bike running. I remember that if you ever wanted to borrow a friends motorcycle you always had to ask... "what tricks do I need to know". There was always something unique you had to do to either start it, keep it running, or stop it.
  • December 12, 2013 8:49 AM PST
    very first "bike" was a 4 stroke, 5 HP Briggs & Stratton horizontal shaft with a centrifugal clutch, heavy duty bicycle chain, knobby go kart tires, a welded water pipe frame with no suspension. I think I was around 7 or 8. Oh yeah . . . no muffler, a steel vacuum cleaner pipe that got very hot. I still have burn scars and am hard of hearing in my right ear. the seat was 1/4 plywood covered with an old leather jacket over a few layers of terrycloth towels, held in place with two bolts. the 'kill switch' actually was a piece of metal you touched to the spark plug. it was a wind and pull rope start. no spring tension return. My Red Ball Jets (run faster, jump higher) were the breaks. 1 pint or quart gas tank. the kickstand was a 2x4 set on edge. I still have the engine. it still runs. ya can't beat a Briggs.
    • 1855 posts
    December 12, 2013 11:59 AM PST
    The road was always an adventure. Whatever happened I just took care of it one way or another. I've never really thought about the "good old days". It's all good.

• December 12, 2013 1:31 PM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    I a strange way I kind of miss all the tinkering you had to do just to keep your bike running. I remember that if you ever wanted to borrow a friends motorcycle you always had to ask... "what tricks do I need to know". There was always something unique you had to do to either start it, keep it running, or stop it.

I remember that too twist the gas 3 1/2 times no more no less. Or as soon as it hits a 1/4 throttle. and had to heat up a few plugs back then  too
    • 284 posts
    December 13, 2013 5:16 PM PST
    57 Pahnead and actually a good bike. Kick it over 2 times then turn on the ignition and gas. Then two full turns of the throttle and kick it over and usually on the second kick it would start unless it was below 50*F, If below 50F move it into the living room and let set for 30 mins until warm then fire it up and ride it out the door. Below 50F you could kick it for a week and it would not start.