The New Harleys are out...

• September 10, 2013 7:26 AM PDT
    I don't like the new windshields, but the new bags that can be opened with one hand are cool. My favorite new bikes are the Breakout and the Super Glide with the new metal-flake paint in orange .
    • 57 posts
    September 30, 2013 4:27 AM PDT
    I just brought home a 2014 ultra classic, I'll let know if we have any issues.Hopefully there will be nothing to report,Knock on wood,cross my fingers and toes.
    • 3006 posts
    September 30, 2013 4:43 AM PDT
    Congrats on the new ride!!!
    • 1 posts
    September 30, 2013 6:01 AM PDT
    Hunter did you get one with the water cooled??? and how much more lower end torce is there??? Also will keep toes crossed for you.
    • 57 posts
    September 30, 2013 8:13 AM PDT
    Bitchy wrote...
    Hunter did you get one with the water cooled??? and how much more lower end torce is there??? Also will keep toes crossed for you.
    I did not get the Twin Cooled,just too much untested water for me.Last week I rented2013 ultra and there is a noticeable increase in torque and H/p in the 2014  not a bunch but some,hopefully my wife will be alot more comfortable than on the Heritage.
    • 1855 posts
    September 30, 2013 8:23 AM PDT
    Coley wrote...
    Well Lucky? I truly believe Harley has many changes on the drawing board but until now they had really no one pushing them to make the changes. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality". Now, due to Indian and Victory, their listening to the riders of all bikes and hearing what they need to do to make a comfortable and efficient motorcycle, not that it may be any better. Like someone said earlier, they make em' cheaper but put more dollars to the end result...

I'm not sure what changes were being pushed by whom or that anything they've done is any more reliable, efficient, or comfortable than those motorcycles that had the EVO motor.  Fuel injection?  A waste; coupled with the possibility of more problems a rider can't diagnose, let alone fix. While the O2 sensors make some great automatic adjustments for altitudes,   '98 EVO (carb) always managed an average over 40 mpg.  Whatever EVO bike I had was never uncomfortable; comfort is a personal issue easily addressed anyway. 

Gear ratio?  There was nothing wrong with the 5-speed.  Response/Torque?  Certainly the twin cam 88 delivered but honestly, there wasn't a thing wrong with the EVO 1340. And now you have the 103 that to me is just a marketing gimmick.  It's a waste of "power" that doesn't really materialize. Harley got the point (reliability) back in 1984 with the new EVO.  There's nothing new at Harley today that is anymore reliable than the EVO motor was.  I mean hell, I'm a avid shovel head fanatic but it was the EVO that let me ride without having to wrench in between (or during) rides. But like my shovelhead, the EVO is easy to work on.   My first EVO was a 1988 FXR and I didn't have to do a thing (not one thing) to it for nearly 65K miles.  True, the newer bikes may be just as durable but you'll need to take a loan out to do complete rebuild on one. 

The new bikes were designed so we have to dig (deep) in our pockets.  Nothing is interchangeable like during the EVO years. Owners have no recourse but to be at the mercy of the manufacturer. If Harley listened for anything from anyone, it was how to put more money in their coffers.  Ya know?  The nostalgia of the Indian; see if you can readily do maintenance (real maintenance) on one of those new bikes.

Yeah, I have a 2012 Heritage because I've always wanted a Heritage.  So, I ain't knocking Harley as much as I'm not going to be fooled by all their hype.  They've added nothing special over the EVO.

Peace

• 1 posts
    September 30, 2013 11:18 AM PDT
    Hunter: Thanks for answering. Having rode on the back of the Wooly mans Ultra she will love it... comfy, for long periods of time. Great for cross country or cross town... Please keep me up dated to how she handles at services. Might be looking for another one in a few years... Or not, can not see me on any thing but a street glide... Have been tossed up on getting new or rebuilding my 07...
  • October 1, 2013 1:13 AM PDT
    I've tested the twin cooled and seems to have more torq and whatevfer type of cams they went to also revs up faster then the 103 ci I have. All in all the new 14 twinn cooled seems be the ticket. There only cooling down the exhaust valves so they can run them leaner, which makes the run hotter. Only time will tell on the H2O side of things. Can't seem to find what cam they are using though. Anybody know? Rumor is it's a 255...
  • October 1, 2013 3:48 AM PDT
    Friend of mine (excellent certified HD mech) commented on the new water cooled are heating up in traffic.

Have fun with em..
    • 5418 posts
    October 1, 2013 4:25 AM PDT
    All Harleys heat up in traffic, that's nothing new. Need to remember these are NOT water cooled engines in the traditional sense. They are "twin" cooled. The engine is still primarily air cooled as they have been since 1903 and will still run hot when standing still as they have for over 100 years. As Coley said the water cooling is for the exhaust valves only to allow the engine to run leaner and I believe it is mostly to be able to meet the soon to come EPA regulations for motorcycle exhaust and nothing more.

I recently talked to a buddy who is doing an independent review for one of the major motorcycle magazines and so far he is real happy with them and has seen no real difference in the ambient temp coming off the motor. I was thinking it would be cooler to the rider, but he said almost exactly the same.
    • 0 posts
    October 4, 2013 10:44 AM PDT
    They've cut the roadglide out of the lineup down this way for now.The fixed fairing thing really didnt catch on down this way.
    Cheers BOOF
    • 5418 posts
    October 9, 2013 2:53 AM PDT
    RoadGlide is gone completely! I personally didn't like the fixed fairing either.
  • October 10, 2013 12:56 AM PDT
    @ Lucky... I didn't mean that they just heat up. The water cooling gets hot and they overflow! No overflow res. also having trouble with the radiator caps meeting operating temps.

Trippin
    • 1 posts
    October 10, 2013 10:38 AM PDT
    ^ I was expected some thing like that... Hope they get it fixed fast. And there will be a few more bugs to come...

As for the Road glides they are sopose to be comeing back in 2015. Some thing about shutting down the line for some fixes. (Just rumors from dealers)
    • 846 posts
    October 11, 2013 7:36 AM PDT
    There a rumor that the Road Glide will be back for the 2015 line up. Not a fairing person to begin with so it doesn't matter to me.