Let It Ride

• August 8, 2013 7:15 AM PDT
    Hi Everyone, I just found this site over the summer and its been such and incredible source for finding biker events, rides, etc.  I thought everyone might want to check out a new biker show on the National Geographic Channel next week.  Its great for anyone into custome bikes.  There is a good promo on Youtube right now, check it out if you have the time...

http://youtu.be/lGRRdbwM7Zw />
  • August 8, 2013 12:29 PM PDT
    Wow that show looks awesome! Can't wait to see it. Any show about motorcycles featuring the Ness family has got to be good.
    • 834 posts
    August 8, 2013 1:04 PM PDT
    The promo video looks cool, but I was just checking out a few of the episodes and looks like NatGeo just jumped in on the scripted  Motorcycle Reality Show bandwagon.. As soon as I watched this one I realized I have seen this 1000 times before... http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/let-it-ride/videos/daytona-bike-week/ />
  • August 8, 2013 2:38 PM PDT
    • 834 posts
    August 8, 2013 3:29 PM PDT
    I watched that one two and thought the same thing SCRIPTED! Not that a scripted show is bad, hell just about everything is! But why do they try to tell us its real. In that one you just posted,  the guys are yelling over the fence to the seller to get his attention when they show up, but the scene right before that was filmed from inside the mans fence. And really two professional builders who buy and sell bikes for a living forgot to ask if the bike was in one piece!

Again, not saying its a bad show but it is clear that it is scripted just like all other reality shows. You know darn well the crew went out to the sellers house a day in advance to get camera locations and angles and then set up long before they pulled up, so why were they so surprised the bike was in pieces. Why can't they just tell us it is a show BASED on bike builders and stop trying to tell us it is unscripted and candid.
    • 5419 posts
    August 8, 2013 4:21 PM PDT
    I am sure most of these shows are based on reality, but yes they do need to set up cameras and lighting and do some scripting and re-takes to make sure it is entertaining as well as based loosely on reality.

I have been at filming of a lot of reality shows like Full Throttle Saloon, Family Jewels, Pawn Stars and the Devils Ride and have seen it all. (even got in a few to get the CycleFish logo on TV :-)

You need to take it for what it is - ENTERTAINMENT. I will check out the new Let It Ride just to see what its like and to see Arlen's grandson "at work".
    • 844 posts
    August 8, 2013 10:28 PM PDT
    Like Lucky said, it's entertainment and it has motorcycles so it is already better than most stuff on TV !
  • August 11, 2013 3:46 PM PDT
    Those biker shows are not written or produced for you and I. There for the non riding public who wouldn't know right from wrong in the biker community if it bit them on the ASS!!!
    • 3006 posts
    August 12, 2013 11:40 AM PDT
    Lmao ^5 Wheels

Have to agree, Hollywood is just turning another buck, at the expense of some group & culture thats entertainment for another group & culture.All this reality show stuff,was heralded by the advent of shows like maury P,jerry S,etc etc..besides it was already selling overseas. ka ching!!!
    • 16798 posts
    August 13, 2013 7:33 AM PDT
    wheels wrote...
    Those biker shows are not written or produced for you and I. There for the non riding public who wouldn't know right from wrong in the biker community if it bit them on the ASS!!!

• August 13, 2013 8:35 AM PDT
    I think the media needs to clean the slate and come up with some fresh ideas for TV. I'm personally getting sick and tired of all these Hillbilly shows, Swamp People, Backyard Oil, Turtle Man, Pawn Stars, and they don't just show it for 30 minutes or an hour, no it seems to be on all day long. How about a show about HISTORY on the History Channel instead of the crap they show.
    Sorry just felt like a little vent.
    • 9 posts
    August 13, 2013 11:23 AM PDT
    Dang, Dragon...tell us how you REALLY feel? lol

You live (for the most part) in Hillbilly Heaven. Is it such a surprise, that the television "fare", caters to that crowd?
    Don't get me wrong, I love the mountains, and Mountain People. But, their choice in "entertainment" does leave a lot to be desired. But, think about it, for a sec. Simple lives, mean simpler expectations. What "they" find funny, is what they find funny.

Sometimes I wish, "mindless" entertainment, were enuf....for me.

And while I'm not a "channel surfer" by any stretch of the imagination, I DO wish, sometimes,
    that what the networks think will "suffice", would take a freakin' hike.

Face it folks, as long as we're unwilling to PAY for television, or in most cases, go ahead and PAY,
    we're still...at their freakin' mercy.

Needless to say, I don't watch much TELEVISION, any more.

Ride Free (And watch whatcha like)
    Tweek
    • 611 posts
    August 13, 2013 1:52 PM PDT
    They only play the shows that bring the 'numbers'. The more people watch a show, the longer they play it. Remember 'Mash' re-runs for years? 'I Love Lucy' and 'The Honeymooners' are nowhere to be found... because people started watching 'Honey Boo-Boo'.
    So, if you like this 'new' show watch it and then tell your friends.
    Wonder what ever happened to the 'Biker Build-Off' series? Insanely short time, killer chops, ride to the show-off and $$$ for the shop.
    Edgeman
    • 834 posts
    August 14, 2013 2:42 AM PDT
    It comes on tonight!!!
  • August 14, 2013 6:54 AM PDT
    Haha, I like your enthusiasm AzRider. ; )
    • 1855 posts
    August 14, 2013 9:51 AM PDT
    Another night of falling asleep in the recliner.
    • 5419 posts
    August 15, 2013 3:49 AM PDT
    I checked it out last night and it wasn't bad, but I can't say I would watch it again either. Kind of reminded me a little of OCC without Paul Sr throwing stuff and screaming. I would have liked to see more of the bikes and less of the people stuff. And of course there was the drama of the deadline and parts that might not be there on-time :-)

It was cool to see Arlen make a cameo appearance at the end of the show
    • 16798 posts
    August 15, 2013 5:33 AM PDT
    I saw part of it.
    Just can't get Arlen Ness' grandson worrying about "flipping" a 350 Honda, or any bike for that matter.
    • 5419 posts
    August 15, 2013 5:57 AM PDT
    Maybe grandpa and dad don't pay him much!!!
  • August 15, 2013 6:54 AM PDT
    I agree with Tweek and Edgewalker. The producers and channel-masters keep dumbing down their "shows", and the more of us who watch that dumb-ass crap, the more they produce. It's like feeding laxatives to cows.
  • August 16, 2013 1:45 AM PDT
    I saw Paul Sr. from OCC on a series of "Fast n Loud" a while back. Man that dude has gone down hill, looks really Old and doesn't have the Body he use to. Didn't really look like him.
    Hey growing old is not for Sissy's!!
    I know
    Night Dragon
    • 9 posts
    August 17, 2013 12:02 PM PDT
      with CroBarr

Nuff said...

Ride Free
    Tweek 

**If I wanted a laxative, I'd just drink more COFFEE!!!  LMAO!
  • August 21, 2013 6:58 AM PDT
    crobarr wrote...
    I agree with Tweek and Edgewalker. The producers and channel-masters keep dumbing down their "shows", and the more of us who watch that dumb-ass crap, the more they produce. It's like feeding laxatives to cows.

Haha!  Crobarr, this made me smile.  Nice analogy.

At the end of the day, I like to think we are getting a sneak peak inside the Ness Family business.  Arlen is a legend in the custom world and I enjoy seeing the goings-on in the shop.  If anyone is fan of british bikes it looks like they are customizing a Triumph tonight:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiYwnU3YRo4 />

• August 21, 2013 7:08 AM PDT
    I don't really care if there are "unrealistic stakes" involved. If that's what the network requires to put a motorcycle show on TV, I'll still watch. I'd rather watch Zach build some badass bikes than some losers from Jersey getting wasted and making asses of themselves.
  • August 21, 2013 9:25 AM PDT
      WELL SAID MOTORGUY17.