Redwood Run 2013

• March 10, 2013 7:12 AM PDT
    Any tips or specific rules we should know while preparing for our first weekend rally? How are the food choices and prices for that matter? Any opinions on the best/quietest/private camping areas? I can't even begin to imagine what I will pack for such a thing. The Hubby says all we need is a tarp and a sleeping bag, that sounds a little to rugged for me, it is possible to do better than that! I think we have the tent and clothes handled but how do we charge cell phones, cameras, etc? Is there even cell service? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
    • 5417 posts
    March 11, 2013 2:39 AM PDT
    Hey Guys, Glad to hear you are going to the Redwood Run... Hope to see you there.

Just so you know you are more than welcome to camp with us at the CycleFish camp (see the map here... http://www.cyclefish.com/event/193/). But you mentioned private/quite and that in not the CycleFish camp.  We are right in the middle of everything.

If you want a campsite that is a little quieter, I would recommend the upper camping areas.  Those are out of walking distance to the vendors and stage area, but you can always ride you bike down or they even have a shuttle that runs from the upper area to the main area in case you have drank too much to ride.

Food choices at the rally itself are pretty good for rally food.  There are booths with the standard hamburgers, hot dogs, sausage sandwiches, etc.  If you do decide to come camp at the CycleFish camp you can make your own.  We don't cook for everyone at the camp, but we do have a couple of camp stoves and cooking utensils and you are welcome to use them if you want to run to town and grab some food to cook up.  There is also the option of running to Garberville (about 10 miles) to eat.  Lots of people go into town for breakfast.

For camping I would recommend more than a tarp and sleeping bag.  I see you are from Shasta so you know even in June you can see low 50s at night.  The good thing is in over 10 years it has never rained on us!!!

There is no electricity in the camping area.  If you do need to charge a camera or phone I normally just ask one of the vendors if I can plug it in at their booth and leave it for an hour or so.  Cell phone reception is very iffy at best at the actual site - depending on your carrier.  I have AT&T and get no service unless I go to town.

You can see some pictures here... http://www.cyclefish.com/PhotoMan/albums/ and on the Redwood Run FB page... www.facebook.com/TheRedwoodRun to get an idea of the camping area.
  • March 11, 2013 3:49 AM PDT
    Thanks Lucky (which is our 4 yr old son's name BTW). We are super excited, started researching sleeping bags last night and buying our big sissy bar bag this weekend. Good to know about the cell reception, with kids at home it will be nice to let them know we aren't readily available. Thanks for the invite to the CycleFish camp as well, we should be pulling in Friday morning after a night spent in Mad River. Hopefully we make it in time for the Meet and Greet.
    • 5417 posts
    March 11, 2013 9:38 AM PDT
    Basically the entire weekend is a Meet & Greet, so stop by the camp anytime. We will most likely have a group ride and group photo sometime on Saturday... we'll let you know the times for those.
    • 844 posts
    March 13, 2013 2:38 AM PDT
    Sounds like a good time. I've got to make it there one year!
    • 5417 posts
    April 18, 2013 3:39 AM PDT

• 1 posts
    April 18, 2013 4:27 AM PDT
    One day I will make the Redwood Run CycleFish party. But that is a real long ride from the GA coast!
    • 5417 posts
    April 19, 2013 4:46 AM PDT
    You should.  It is looking like this will be the BIGGEST CycleFish get together EVER!  Right now I have a count of just over 50 people joining us (members, partners and friends).  Our CycleFish camp will be in the same place as always (you can see a map here... http://www.cyclefish.com/event/193/ style="color: rgb(0, 0, 128);">).

Everyone is welcome to come camp at the CycleFish camp.  We will get in early and set up the tables, shade, etc, and try to hold as much space as possible for our friends to camp.  Our area has become a VERY popular camp spot meaning when the gate opens and the crowds rush in, it is really hard to hold the spaces... so I recommend that you get in early (as close to the gate opening as possible) and head straight for the CycleFish Camp.  The more people that get there early, the easier it is to hold space for more of our friends who couldn't get there early.

We will also have cook stoves, pots, pans and utensils available at camp for all CF members to use anytime they want.  I am not cooking for everyone (mainly because I will be partying), but you are more than welcome to run to the store for food and use our "kitchen".

We will also be planning our usual Saturday morning day ride through the Redwoods and a group picture.  More info on those to come.

We look forward to seeing all of our old Redwood Friends and meeting lots of new ones!!!
  • May 1, 2013 7:37 AM PDT
    Getting so excited! Had my heart set on camping by the River, but may have to convince the hubby to stay by you guys!
  • May 2, 2013 11:41 AM PDT
    Just remember, what you forget to bring or can't bring due to the fact that your riding in, someone else in the camp will have it and I'm sure they won't mind sharing their stuff. It's the best thing about bikers. Look forward to meeting you both at the run.
  • May 3, 2013 7:13 AM PDT
    Hi All, new to this forum, saw it from doing some research on the Redwood Run. Me and some friends are all riding out on Thursday morning (6th), making a few stops on the way but should arrive sometime on Friday. Im going to be staying at Benbow but plan on being at the event most of the time. Hope to meet up and say hello at the CF camp site.Counting the days now, I cant wait! Getting my Electra Glide ready and really excited to make the ride, think its about 650 miles or so from SoCal.  
    • 5417 posts
    May 3, 2013 8:22 AM PDT
    We'll look forward to meeting you!
    • 844 posts
    May 16, 2013 8:29 AM PDT
    Sounds like another fun party. Really wish it weren't so damn far.
    • 5417 posts
    May 28, 2013 11:07 AM PDT

Just 10 more days now!!!

• May 29, 2013 11:16 AM PDT
    9 More days!
  • May 29, 2013 11:32 AM PDT
    3 more sleeps till I roll on the ferry.

• 5417 posts
    May 29, 2013 3:38 PM PDT
    For those with questions on Tickets/Will Call, Getting in Line early and general Redwood Run rules, we just added a new page on the Redwood Run site...  http://www.kiwanisrwr.com/gate-info.php style="font-size: larger;">
  • May 30, 2013 1:23 AM PDT
    Gate info very helpful. If you haven't been, can seem like organized chaos at the gate. Missed last year, and REALLY regretted it. Be there this year for sure. Any CF people staying in Willits Thursday night ? Party ? 2 normal riding partners cant go this year, so doin the solo ride from Redondo.
    • 5417 posts
    June 1, 2013 3:42 AM PDT
    Gonna be some GREAT weather!!!

• 1364 posts
    June 1, 2013 4:06 AM PDT
    Looking Like it's going to shape up and be a warm Rockin weekend once again
  • June 3, 2013 3:01 PM PDT
    Think we got our packs set up right on the bike. A few last minute adjustments for Thursday and we will be on our way! Can't believe it's finally here!
  • June 4, 2013 6:42 AM PDT
    Packed and ready to roll. See you guys at the camp.
    • 5417 posts
    June 4, 2013 7:50 AM PDT
    Latest weather shows low to mid 90s for Fri & Sat!!!!!

See you all there!
    • 3006 posts
    June 4, 2013 8:10 AM PDT
    Its gonna be hot this weekend,or at least thats what the weather man up here is saying.
    You all have a great time!!! Wish I could go!! Maybe next year
  • June 5, 2013 8:00 AM PDT
    do you have to be a member to camp at CF camp ? my brother is coming with and i don't think he even knows about this site.but he wants to hang with the wife and i . see ya fri. a. m. going to be in line thurs. after noon