Gloves or no Gloves when you ride.....

• 284 posts
    February 21, 2013 8:36 PM PST
    I am a long time, pedal bike rider, advocate for Long Finger Gloves year around.  After many crashes on my mountain bike, a Giant, and my road bike, a Giant, I started wearing long finger gloves.  Probably saved my skin way more than once.

I Always ride my Sporty, and Giants with long finger gloves.  I use insulated leather in cooler weather, leather in moderate weather, and hybrid leather/cloth in warm/hot weather.  I actually have a pair of leather with the steel knuckle guards in them which have 2 great uses.

What is your preference?  Gloves full fingered, half gloves, no gloves and why?    

• 19034 posts
    February 21, 2013 11:42 PM PST
    No gloves unless it is cold.
    • 1855 posts
    February 22, 2013 1:11 AM PST
    Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Sometimes weather related and sometimes just cuz I want to.

Peace
  • February 22, 2013 1:26 AM PST
    Always-Always-Always wear gloves for me! I have been riding for 40+ years and my Dad rode from the 1950's, so we have both seen pavement up close and personal. One thing he always told me is if you go down without gloves and lose the skin on your hands you might need skin grafts. Skin that best matches your hands will come from your Butt~!!! So unless you want butt-skin on your hands gloves are the best option! LOL
    • 5420 posts
    February 22, 2013 1:38 AM PST
    iba49r wrote...
    Always-Always-Always wear gloves for me! I have been riding for 40+ years and my Dad rode from the 1950's, so we have both seen pavement up close and personal. One thing he always told me is if you go down without gloves and lose the skin on your hands you might need skin grafts. Skin that best matches your hands will come from your Butt~!!! So unless you want butt-skin on your hands gloves are the best option! LOL

I actually like the feel of butt skin on my hands, but not my own!

• 5420 posts
    February 22, 2013 1:38 AM PST
    Almost always have gloves of some type on. Not sure why, just always have and always do. I have three pairs of gloves... lined winter gloves, thin gloves and fingerless gloves. Just depends on the weather.
    • 846 posts
    February 22, 2013 3:42 AM PST
       With Lucky, I too have three pairs all in my saddle bags. One light leather full fingered pair a leather fingerless ones and a pair of gauntlent ones for cold weather.  
    • 567 posts
    February 22, 2013 4:15 AM PST
    I have a full finger, insulated pair that I wear when its cold and a pair of fingerless gloves that I wear when the sun is beating down.
    My old fingerless gloves were leather which always left dye on my hands if they got sweaty. I recently bought a pair of Olympia fingerless gloves that are a synthetic material. I like them but I don NOT understand how a glove manufacturer would make a XXL pair of gloves with tiny little half fingers. The gloves fit me fine everywhere except the fingers. They are too tight.
    • 19034 posts
    February 22, 2013 5:34 AM PST
    I will add that I wear Military flight gloves in cool temps and very hot desert temps.
    • 3006 posts
    February 22, 2013 7:39 AM PST
    Almost always wear gloves,irregardless of the weather.I think its a carryover from the years I spent in my youth dirt riding.Never rode w/out them,primarily for safety & comfort.My favorite pair are deerskin,prolly not as heavy duty as my leather ones yet they feel the most comfortable after riding for all day.
    • 1 posts
    February 22, 2013 9:52 AM PST
    Long fingered gloves all the time every time. Have a hard time getting the fingerless glove type off my hands. Besides it doesn't make sense to me to only cover half your hands.
  • February 22, 2013 10:15 AM PST
    Having touched the ground before - always gloves. I wear good quality gloves - different for Summer and Winter but always regardless of temperature.
  • February 22, 2013 10:30 AM PST
    gloves are a must... less hand fatigue from vibration in the bars.. and picking gravel outa yer palms sucks...
    • 1 posts
    February 22, 2013 10:51 AM PST
    Almost always have gloves on... a slippery hand on a quick throttle can be a dangerious thing, just saying... Last time I remember riding any distance with out them was well lets say it is when I experienced my foofoo buble gum accident.
    • 1161 posts
    February 22, 2013 11:49 AM PST
    Yep got a heavy cold weather set and everyday use summer set with carbonfiber nuckles. Both full gloves also have fingerless but never used them. My gloves saved my hands when I dumped my bike.
    • 1855 posts
    February 22, 2013 1:15 PM PST
    I wish someone made fingerless gauntlets. I really hate it when a damn bee gets up the sleeve of my jacket.

Peace
  • February 22, 2013 1:54 PM PST
    Jimmy, just take your gauntlets and cut the fingers off.
    • 16825 posts
    February 22, 2013 2:25 PM PST
    I use my old G.I. black leather gauntlets with the green wool liner gloves I got in the Marines on cold days.
    Any other time my fingerless leather padded palm with spandex back gloves I get from the Schwinn dealer work just fine.
  • February 22, 2013 2:55 PM PST
    Thick winter gloves obviously in winter, and mesh gloves with a leather type palm in the hot south Arkansas summer. I guess at 54 I'm too old for road rash and wear the safety gear.
  • February 22, 2013 3:14 PM PST
    Up in the hi dez you gotta be prepaired for anything, 20 in the am, 65 mile ride to work, 70 on the way home. I have gerbings with a dual thermostat, and heated grips, so far everything is staying toasty warm
  • February 22, 2013 3:26 PM PST
    Only when it's cold.
    • 2 posts
    February 24, 2013 10:36 AM PST
    Are there honestly people out there who don't wear gloves ALL THE TIME?

50 years ago when 1st started riding sometimes would be anxious to go and skip the gloves. - The gravel is still in my hand. - Being really cheap b'rd wear heavy, pig skin, work gloves for all but the coldest weather & military, gauntlet, shooters mitts for the coldest.
  • February 24, 2013 10:46 AM PST
    About 80% of the time.
  • March 1, 2013 5:09 AM PST
    I never ride without a jacket and gloves.

When I was still in the single digits the guy down the street had a Norton Commando. I saw him a month or two after he had put the bike down and it was a sight I'll never forget.

You don't wear a seatbelt because of your driving but rather because of the other guys driving.

Same thing with a pair of gloves and jacket.
  • March 1, 2013 6:23 AM PST
    I always wear gloves.  A Firm-Grip pair from Home Depot (link) for warm weather, a pair from Duluth Trading (link) for cool weather and a pair of Olympia cold weather gauntlets (link).

I haven't found a pair that will keep the hands warm under 40 degrees yet... need that as I ride unless its storming or snowing or ice on the roads.

... oh, why?  Road rash prevention.  Also, I've found that without gloves, the smell of my hands after a good ride is kind of ... odd... and hard to wash off.  Maybe it was just new grips...