sturgis --- non rally time!

• July 10, 2012 6:22 AM PDT
    ok, so Sturgis is in August,  But I am headed there next week on my way to a family reunion in Bismark, ND.   So Does anyone have any suggestions , tips or advice???     Is there life in Sturgis without a rally going on???   So what is there and open this time of year?    tat shops?   bars?   Places to stay???  How about shopping?   Surely there is a place to buy t-shirts and such.    Just curious..... maybe someone could help me out..... 
    • 5420 posts
    July 10, 2012 7:09 AM PDT
    Sue, Believe it or not you may find a number of riders already in Sturgis. I know a quite a few that go up there in mid August to enjoy the Black Hills before the crowds get there... some stay for the rally and some leave just as it starts.

I have personally never been there this early so I can't help with the shops and bars that may be open. Hopefully Mike (RexTheRoadDog) can chime in... he has been there several times during non-rally times... he may even be there right now
    • 1855 posts
    July 10, 2012 11:18 AM PDT
    The rally is the first week of August. The town doesn't shut down "waiting" for the rally to begin. Everything is open. There's plenty to do and see. About the only difference between the Rally and the month of July is that Buffalo Chip will be preparing instead of hosting. Bikers are there. There just isn't a swarm of 'em. You'll enjoy it more IMHO

Peace
  • July 10, 2012 2:51 PM PDT
    Was just there this last weekend. The bars are always open. You won't have all the vendors till the rally. there are tattoo shops there year around, in not there are plenty in Rapid City. Now is pry the easiest time to get a room to stay, depending what else is going on in town. There was a tent setup and selling 2012 Sturgis Rally Shirts 3 for $32.99. There is always a ton of bikers riding in the hills, especially when they aren't so crowded as during the rally.
    • 19040 posts
    July 10, 2012 11:19 PM PDT
    Biker Sue, there is plenty going on now, no where near the frenzy of rally time but lots happening. Sturgis, Deadwood, Lead, Custer, Rapid City, Hill City, all have places to see and things to do. Sadly I am not there now, left a week ago, but there is another CF member that lives just a few miles away. CNCIAO is her screen name. Send her a message.
    • 1855 posts
    July 10, 2012 11:54 PM PDT
    Gypsy and I are heading that direction next week.

Peace
  • July 11, 2012 1:20 AM PDT
    fantastic! I appreciate everyone's help. It sounds like it should be lots of fun for the couple of days we are there. Thanks for the help, and JImmy who knows we just might cross paths.
    ride safe!
    • 2 posts
    • 823 posts
    July 11, 2012 2:07 PM PDT

Wow!  Savage was there awhile back!  lol

• 19040 posts
    July 11, 2012 8:12 PM PDT
    Yeah, I think Jane Cannery was dancin back then too.
  • July 12, 2012 1:34 AM PDT
    One of our sons lived about 30 miles from Sturgis for a few years. We enjoyed many good rides through the Black Hills and surrounding area. Always liked it best when the rally wasn't going on. Take a ride up to Bear Butte. Great view of the surrounding prairie from the top.
    • 34 posts
    July 12, 2012 6:11 AM PDT
     plenty of places to buy stuff.  if you like racing--they have it all during the rally-hill climbs , drags AHDRA and lots of other racing,  there is a free campground on the left out by the broken spoke campground. 
    • 467 posts
    July 12, 2012 7:06 AM PDT
    And we have just been informed that the HA will be having their annual USA run in Spearfish the last week of July, so there may be a few more bikes on the road than normal during this time of year. So far though, the bike traffic has been pretty average past the house. I live right on one of the main scenic runs through the Black Hills. And while Sturgis itself will be rather quiet at this time, the scenery is just as beautiful. However, due to the current drought that we are in, everything is prematurely dry and brownand there are total fire bans all over the place through WY, SD and most of CO and MT. You will still be happy with the drive through though. Plenty to see in the general area of Sturgis. Spearfish Canyon, Deadwood, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Caverns, Devil's Tower, etc.
    Have a wonderful and safe journey! If you need anything once you are here, feel free to message me!
  • July 15, 2012 8:10 AM PDT
    hey thanks cnciaco, cant wait, we are leaving tonite to cut down on mega miles on monday - tues. hope to be there around tues, I will keep your name handy. I am excited about going, and looking forward to the beautiful surroundings. thanks everyone you have been quite helpful.
    take care!
  • July 16, 2012 11:46 AM PDT
    I've been up there a few time during the non-rally time. Some great riding and Sturgis is a pretty cool little town when you can see it.
  • July 18, 2012 11:16 AM PDT
    Hey cnciaco, Made it here, it is Wed, rode through the Vanocker Canyon- it was beautiful!! even had a small rain shower!! we look forward to spending a couple days here riding and having fun! Now time to celebrate.... made it past the twisties!!! talk with ya soon!!
  • July 18, 2012 12:17 PM PDT
    Better head over to Huelett and then to Devil's Tower.
  • July 18, 2012 12:36 PM PDT
    The Peter Norbeck Hwy is another nice and scenic road. Start up by Keystone And head south into Custer State Park. You can slide a little east and take The Needles Hwy back north and then cruise past Mt. Rushmore. That's not saying anything about Crazy Horse Monument And stopping in Custer or Hill City.
    • 467 posts
    July 19, 2012 12:57 AM PDT
    Glad you are enjoying yourselves! And yes, a ride anywhere near Custer is not complete without a trip down Iron Mountain Road....Just respect the limit signs...when they say 15 mph--they mean it!!
  • July 19, 2012 1:26 AM PDT
    cnciaco wrote...
    Glad you are enjoying yourselves! And yes, a ride anywhere near Custer is not complete without a trip down Iron Mountain Road....Just respect the limit signs...when they say 15 mph--they mean it!!

Yeah, we rode one year and saw more than one bike slide off doing only about 20-30 mph.

Sturgis imo is way better to check out when it's not rally time.

• July 21, 2012 12:48 PM PDT
    had lots of fun in sturgis, have plans for maybe next year during the rally,. Went through spearfish canyon, didnt make the needles hwy, so that leaves something to do when we return. dont worry I did leave t-shirts still available for you all that are going to the rally, not many, as I did do a lot of shopping!! LOL (wink, wink).
    We found bismark and now headed North to Canada! catch ya later when I get back in KS!