no GPS!

• March 30, 2012 8:20 AM PDT

You know you live in a rural area when you put  in your own address on the" NEW  Garmon GPS" and it reads that the zip code,  town,  and your address is NON-EXISTANT!!  

MAN, I  COULD HAVE SWORN THAT I AM NOT DEAD YET AND THAT I STILL LIVE in that house!!!!.....   jUST ASK UNCLE SAM!!!!!!   As he sure does want his part of the property taxes!!! 

• 5417 posts
    March 30, 2012 8:34 AM PDT
    Well that probably explains why Ed McMahon never showed up at your house with that big Publishers Clearing House Check
    • 19004 posts
    March 30, 2012 2:12 PM PDT
    Gotta Love Tech!!!
    • 0 posts
    March 30, 2012 2:21 PM PDT
    I looked my address up on Google and zoomed in to street level. I had a party going on when the did the photography...
    I had 8 cars parked on the front grass.
  • March 30, 2012 3:05 PM PDT
    I'm in a rural county. There are places here that my GPS doesn't register. I wish I lived in the boonies, but I married a girly girl.
    • 834 posts
    March 30, 2012 6:23 PM PDT
    Got a few of those spots out here in AZ. Sometimes I look at the GPS in my truck and it shows right where I am, just doesn't have the names on any of the roads around me.
    • 9 posts
    March 31, 2012 12:09 AM PDT
    Just curious L.C., what the heck does bein' married to a "girly-girl", got to do with where ya'll live? Are you tryin' to say she's HIGH MAINTENANCE? Hell, even the boonies, got a Wal-mart....(sorry, couldn't wesist..teehee)

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 1855 posts
    March 31, 2012 1:29 AM PDT
    Big Brother is always watching.

Peace
    • 467 posts
    March 31, 2012 7:36 AM PDT
    Tweek wrote...
    Just curious L.C., what the heck does bein' married to a "girly-girl", got to do with where ya'll live? Are you tryin' to say she's HIGH MAINTENANCE? Hell, even the boonies, got a Wal-mart....(sorry, couldn't wesist..teehee)

Ride Free
    Tweek

Ha! I guess you could say that I live in the "real" boonies then! I had to get a satelite for internet, tv and phone. I can see my house on google earth, but don't register on gps and the nearest Wal-mart, Walgreen's, McDonalds, etc. is 77 miles away!
    • 2 posts
    March 31, 2012 9:28 AM PDT
    Every time we use the "Shortest Distance" feature on Tom-Tom it is an adventure.
    Sends us up unmarked, dirt, logging roads - Tries to send us over bridges that washed away during the Carter Administration - We lave that gizmo
    Sometime you don't need a motorcycle to have an adventure.
    • 467 posts
    March 31, 2012 10:19 AM PDT
    Good thing I am an avid map collector....and I know how to read them and use a compass! Otherwise, my last trip to FL, would probably ended with Clay and I in NJ! Talk about directionally disabled!
    • 3006 posts
    March 31, 2012 11:24 AM PDT
    Sue
    SO why did ya buy the GPS if it couldnt even show ya the way home? or for that matter that home even existed?? HAH !! Funny how Uncle Sam knows exactly where ya are huh?? LOL
  • March 31, 2012 2:07 PM PDT
    The big joke with my friends is I'm the one with the GPS & I ALWAYS get lost at least once during our rides.

I do love my Garmin 550 and it has gotten me out of a lot of places when I had no idea where I was. The road right behind my house is realtively new & it doesn't show it. Another road I helped build yearsss ago still says (even on Google & MapQuest) to turn off it & go around.

It's all a great adventure even if you are old school. I also carry maps just in case. I thought getting lost was a prerequisite on a ride!! That's how ya find new & fun places. The GPS just helps ya find your way back to civilization hopefully.

Speaking of Big Brother they can also track your cell phone.
    • 567 posts
    March 31, 2012 10:35 PM PDT
    (With my best Mexican bandit accent) Maps? We don't need no stinkin' maps !
    • 467 posts
    April 1, 2012 1:25 AM PDT
    SolarBill wrote...
    (With my best Mexican bandit accent) Maps? We don't need no stinkin' maps !

Ha! I love my maps! How else am I supposed to find all the cool stuff that I would never know was there otherwise?
  • April 1, 2012 3:31 PM PDT
    blurplebuzz wrote...
    Sue
    SO why did ya buy the GPS if it couldnt even show ya the way home? or for that matter that home even existed?? HAH !! Funny how Uncle Sam knows exactly where ya are huh?? LOL

ok, just so you know,  We were home when we didn't exist.... we were trying to program the darn thing!!!  But on the bright side, it did help us get across Denver, Colo this past weekend!  But led us all over the country-side when asked for Non- Interstate roads,   and yes we finally did get a map just to see where it was taking us!!!  
       "I teach technology, but nobody said I had to love it!!!!  "   LOL
    • 3006 posts
    April 1, 2012 3:58 PM PDT
    LOL a new techie word has been defined !!! "how in the gps'd did you get home??" : )
    Hopefully it recognizes your house now or your gonna be saying,"dont gps with me !!!
    stay safe n dont git too gps'd out this week ; )
  • April 2, 2012 12:45 AM PDT
    LMAO!!!!! I love it!!!
    Luckily I do know my way home... let me explain it this way..... Find the very center of Kansas .... Go north down the road a bit..... then turn Left at the end of the world!!!! There I am!!!! LOL
    Congratulations, ya all found me ..... obtw...." you just got gps'd by sue". now dont you feel better??? HEHEHEH : 0 LOL
    • 844 posts
    April 2, 2012 8:37 AM PDT
    I wish I lived somewhere that GPS didn't know about. Cuz that would mean lots of land and very little traffic.
  • April 2, 2012 9:42 AM PDT
    being out here in nowhere has advantages and disadvantages both.... gas is 30 miles ( fill up before ya get here) - Food of any sort - grocery, fast food, restaruant is 30 miles away so eat before ya come, Forget your cell phone - cuz you wont have signal for 10 miles in any direction. dont worry you may get lost as we already know about gps fun, and dont have a major need for ems.... they wont be here for 30-40 minutes hope its not serious!!!

Now for the good>>>> going to get gas, or food or just plain getting anywhere can be a ride in itself, Yes there are lots of open spaces, open fields, and open roads. It has be a blessing in learning to ride! But watch out>>> in my town ( of 250 people)>>>> we dont have any entertainment so if we get visitors you can bet we will talk about you!!! just so you know!!!! LOL Other wise, you are most welcome!!!
    • 51 posts
    April 2, 2012 9:49 AM PDT
    Okay, sounds like an invite... and we'll all remember to gas up, eat and turn off the cel;l phones before we get there!!! We'll bring our own entertainment, so don't worry about that ;-)

But wait,how are we going to find you if you're not on the map - damn another plan spoiled :-(
  • April 3, 2012 12:15 AM PDT
    steve wrote...
    Okay, sounds like an invite... and we'll all remember to gas up, eat and turn off the cel;l phones before we get there!!! We'll bring our own entertainment, so don't worry about that ;-)

But wait,how are we going to find you if you're not on the map - damn another plan spoiled :-(

on the contrary steve,   we are on the map, you just gotta know which red dot you are looking at  ---- it is the one not labled!!!!   LOL  Its just GPS is stupid!!!   Dont worry I will send up smoke signals so you all can find me!!!!  But you will have to bring the BEER with you  --- hardware store only sells milk  and bread!!!!!!    Cool a party at my house!!!    Lets give the gossip shop something to talk about!!!!!    LOL  :