David Mann Drawing and Prints

• 80 posts
    March 23, 2012 8:27 AM PDT
    If anyone can find a biker on a bike with tennis shoes or flip flops on in one of David Manns works of art, let me know the name of the print.   Maybe it is the old school in me, but I always wear boots, jeans and at least a leather vest over a shirt in hot weather.  Today was mid 80's so I wore a cut off with the previously listed attire.  I had my share of road rash in the 60's and 70's and I still have my feet and legs intact.  I am too old to live with road rash now.  Having said that - everybody to their own.  I don't judge those that have beach wear on, but ouch!  There is an old adage about riding that each rider has to accept - There are those that have been down and those that are going down.  If you ride long enough and hard enough if is bound to occur with few exceptions.  Respects to those who read this and agree or disagree.  I only put these thought down to start a new topic.   
  • March 23, 2012 8:53 AM PDT
    I will have to dig all my old Easy Riders magazines out and start checking that out. It may take a little time as I tend to spend a lot of time pouring through those first issues. My mind wanders about where the years and the good old days have disappeared to. Will get back to you on my findings at a later date. HA HA
  • March 23, 2012 8:57 AM PDT

Beach wear? on a bike???

ORGAN DONORS!!!!!

• 1855 posts
    March 23, 2012 10:08 AM PDT
    I hear ya!!! When I see a rider without a shirt, in flip flops, and shorts I just have to shake my head. I want to say something to 'em but I dare not. Even if to offer something positive they'd just figure I need to mind my own business. And that would just get my dander up. So to hell with 'em I figure. Man, I've been slammed in every part of my body by some big ass bugs or road debris that'd nearly knock ya over. I guess if you're into welts then going shirtless will do the trick.
    Peace
  • March 23, 2012 10:38 AM PDT
    I don't ride to the store for a pack of smokes only a few blocks without jeans, boots, shirt glasses. bugs hurt and road rash doesn't go away. several times I have cut the lawn and thought take a ride around the block in shorts and shirtless but never do. for me it is so freeing to ride and I want to be able to ride tomorrow and the next day. my 2 cents worth.
    • 5419 posts
    March 23, 2012 11:07 AM PDT
    I doubt you will find a David Mann drawing of anyone riding with sneakers. Davids drawings were always of the true biker of the era, so not only will they all be wearing boots, but they usually a cowboy style boot with a pointy toe.

I personally wear boots every time I ride. I have some that are cold weather lined boots and some that are a little cooler for the summer (leather lace up boots with a mesh tongue to let a little air in). So you CAN still wear boots and be comfortable and safe!!!
    • 1161 posts
    March 23, 2012 1:23 PM PDT
    I still use all my leathers and boots even in the summer but I'm currently trying to get vented leathers because of the southern heat.
  • March 23, 2012 3:59 PM PDT
    I was thinking a trip down memory lane with some old time rags is always good for the heart. [ Maybe not as much as being in the wind, but there are always days that are better left to other things.] I just love those 60's editions. the scoots, the stories, and the old photos. Those were the days my friend, we thought they would never end.
  • March 23, 2012 4:39 PM PDT
    I'm older now and always wear the mesh jacket with shoulder pads, elbow pads, and spine pad. Most of the time I wear Kevlar Jeans, and mesh gloves in the summer. It's extreme for some, but I'm to old to fall off these days.
    • 16798 posts
    March 23, 2012 6:27 PM PDT
    As an artist myself, I noticed David Mann wasn't fond of putting valve stems on wheels.
  • March 23, 2012 10:16 PM PDT
    Searched David Mann and looked at his stuff and I didn't see one sneaker.
    • 5419 posts
    March 24, 2012 11:46 AM PDT
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    As an artist myself, I noticed David Mann wasn't fond of putting valve stems on wheels.

Never noticed that until just now!

• 9 posts
    March 24, 2012 2:00 PM PDT

Yep.  Two kinds of riders, Mate. Been down, or goin' down.  It's a fact of life.  And for all those just insane enuf or who think that it doesn't apply to them.  I pray.  We were ALL like that once, invinceable.  Remember???  With age, comes wisdom, right?  So, why is it then, when I see kid's ridin' rice, or whatever, wearin' shorts and little else, that I CRINGE??? 
    I've got life-lasting scars, from goin' down!  Wearin' full leather, no less.  And it breaks my heart, to see these people ride, with no regard to what could happen.  But, we were no different, were we? 
    We may not have been this stubborn, or irresponsible.  But then again...

Ride Free  
    Tweek
    Oh, and Rev...only a true "artiste" would notice, a lil' thing like valve stems...LMCFAO muahaaa

• 5419 posts
    March 24, 2012 2:18 PM PDT
    Tweek, I ain't picking on you 'cause I hear so many people saying "Two kinds of riders, Been down, or goin' down"... but personally I hate that saying. It's almost like putting a curse on riders who haven't been down! So, I am going to keep on believing that is NOT ALWAYS TRUE. I have ridden for over 30 years and never been down and I just refuse to believe that it is inevitable that I will go down. Not that I don't think it can't happen, which is why I ALWAYS wear proper safety equipment just in case, I'm just saying that it doesn't HAVE to happen.

I know its just a saying, and I ain't really superstitious, but I also believe its not a good thing to constantly say something bad will definately happen if you do THAT!

Sorry, one of my very infrequent rants  Carry on...
    • 9 posts
    March 24, 2012 2:28 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    Tweek, I ain't picking on you 'cause I hear so many people saying "Two kinds of riders, Been down, or goin' down"... but personally I hate that saying. It's almost like putting a curse on riders who haven't been down! So, I am going to keep on believing that is NOT ALWAYS TRUE. I have ridden for over 30 years and never been down and I just refuse to believe that it is inevitable that I will go down. Not that I don't think it can't happen, which is why I ALWAYS wear proper safety equipment just in case, I'm just saying that it doesn't HAVE to happen.

God Bless you son, and I am a positive person...mostly.  And far be it from me, to put any kinda curse on anyone.  I'm just relatin' what I was taught. 
    By the man who taught me.  That was the very FIRST thing he said.  And I, was just as skeptical.  But hey, with a name like LUCKY,  whatcha gotta
    worry about, eh?  You keep doin' what ya been doin', K?  There ain't no reason to believe every one on the planet, who rides, will fall into this catagory
    or condemnation.  I think we all, are just concerned.  Road rash hurts like the dickens.   So...be careful.  ALL>!!!  K???  Who luvs ys?

Ride Free
    Tweek

• 16798 posts
    March 24, 2012 4:27 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    RevBigJohn wrote...

Never noticed that until just now!

In a conversation with David years ago I asked him why, his reason was he just didn't like drawing them on wheels.
    Good enough reason for me.

• 5419 posts
    March 24, 2012 5:41 PM PDT
    So I guess we'll never see valve stems or sneekers in a David Mann drawing
  • March 25, 2012 1:28 AM PDT
    I have never rode with shorts & flip-flops or tennis shoes, not even before I got my own bike but I'll be totally honest, I don't wear a helmet, we don't have a helmet law.
    • 16798 posts
    March 25, 2012 3:53 AM PDT
    Here in PA. if you are at least 21 and have your license for 2 years you can go helmet-less.
    I see guys on go-fast bikes wearing expensive full-face helmets, no shirt, shorts and flip-flops.
    I've also seen guys on Harleys in full leather wearing flip-flops.