Tire Sealant Ever use it ?

• 3006 posts
    March 1, 2012 10:37 AM PST
    Recently I  was reading about a tire sealant called Ride On for tubeless & tube tires,It has the supposed added benefit of balancing the tires,while protecting them from punctures and small leaks. Anyone have experience with using it? Is it road worthy? easy to fill the tire?
    In the past I have used the tire/slime with good results,however I am thinking the added benefit of using the RideOn for the wheel balancing might be worth the trouble of getting it.It isnt easy to find & I had to call 3 shops before I found some in stock.
    TIA !
  • March 1, 2012 1:47 PM PST
    ive used green slime on dirt bikes and buggys but i wouldnt use nothin in my street ride.but i try to keep good rubber on my glide and theres no need for a sealant.
    • 6 posts
    March 1, 2012 2:11 PM PST
    I am very particular about my tire conditions but I always carry slime or some type of fix-a-flat. The tire balancing fluid I tried once with no results and left a whole lot of crap in my tires. I also carry a plugging kit with me. I don't intend to ride forever on this but if you have ever been stranded on a hyway with a flat you will appreciate the ability to limp somewhere to get a flat fixed.
    • 823 posts
    March 1, 2012 2:21 PM PST
    I wondered this myself. Used to use sealant back in the day when we ran bald tires and tubes. I plan on taking an emergency fix a flat this may on my two week run.
  • March 1, 2012 2:28 PM PST

Same as above from, cal22, There is no way I would use any kind of substance in a road wheel...If it stays wet it can settle, if it dries it can break away upon degrading or delaminating and you WONT see it happening!!!...but worse still is this scenario.....

You are going at say 60mph on an 18" rim...centrifugal forces act upon the substance you have inside the tyre, a small piece shifting inside the tyre will throw the bike all over the road, and now imagine that you have it cranked over on a long curve when THAT happens, centre divider crossed and suddenly going head to head with a truck dont cut it for me!!!

For a good reference point about the full effects of Centrepetal and Centrifugal forces see this info here, its the basic version..... http://www.freestudy.co.uk/dynamics/centripetal%20force.pdf

Best advice I am going to suggest.....I take my tyres off as soon as I notice any kind of wear, even or uneven, I RIDE mine and want to know that they are as perfect as I can keep them, just remember, if it has any kind of damage then it has the potential to kill you ... my regime is .....Tyre off, get new tyre ready, wash inside of new tyre, wash rim of both tyre and wheel with a very mild detergent that is thoroughly cleaned off, if its a tubed tyre, tube gets replaced wether it needs it or not, make sure inner edges of rim where tyre is seated is absolutely clean and clear of any dust dirt or debris, If you are not changing the tyre yourself make sure the person who is does it with clean gloves on-too many times I have seen people changing tyres without doing ANY of the above safety checks.....Would YOU Trust Someone Who Aint Going To Be Riding Your Bike To Do It Exactly To Your Standards?

The only times I have seen tyres fail is through negligence when fitting, poor maintenance checks during the tyres lifetime, and the obvious damage caused by some piece of roadside debris that punctures your tyre, its RARE to actualy have an unrecoverable blow out on a road tyre...

You are trusting your life to your tyres...If the tyre pressures are correct you have less than 2" of rubber on the road, would you want something inside the tyre that could lift that 2" off the road?

Heres a proof test of what I am saying.....get a small amount of duc-tape and make a pad approx 1oz in weight and tape it to your tyre, then spin the wheel by hand and see how it jerks around...Do you really want something you cant monitor inside your tyres?

I am sorry if it seems I go on a bit about safety issues, but I have now been riding on my 43rd year without ever having dropped a bike for any reason, have never had even so much as a gravel rash on a hand, have NEVER been involved in any kind of incident where even a tiny percentage of the blame could be mine, and, because I check everything on a very regular basis I know that I can still go out there and RIDE IT LIKE I STOLE IT!!!!!

• 3006 posts
    March 1, 2012 4:32 PM PST
    Thanks for the response all,
    I am running tube tires,and I am also looking into getting some Dynabeads installed next time around so I can eliminate using the spoke wheel weights,after some more reading up on it,I realize the Dynabeads wont work with the Ride On tire sealant balancer.The sport bike riders I have spoke with use the RideOn stuff alot for puncture protection and wheel balancing.
    The Slime could cause some imbalance,yet nothing that has ever thrown the bike into some uncontrollable situation while riding.Or affected the tire/bike in a manner that was unsafe for my riding style.I rode nearly 1000 miles on a rear tire that had a small screw near center tread,that never leaked the whole time with the slime in.Tho I didnt nearly make it home the nite I picked up the screw !!
    If anyone has actually used the RideOn product I would appreciate the input.
  • March 1, 2012 4:48 PM PST
    I carry a Tire Fix Kit with plugs & CO2 cartridges. They also make a really small air pump but will have to look it up.

Most of these fixes are very temporary. Any or the "slime" type stuff aka Fix a Flat will really piss off your mechanic. If in a pinch you do have to use it forewarn them before they remove you tire.

We don't have a lot of tire touching the ground. I gotta admit I got sandbagged on a trip a couple yrs ago when I saw the threads coming thru on my rear tire. I was about 500 miles from home & a holiday weekend. I nursed it home safely but was NOT very comfortable.

It's been my short lived riding experiences that once you get to a certain point on your tires you're down to very soft rubber & it goes fast.

My bikes been parked for a couple of weeks due to work & weather & know I need to check the tire pressure.

I actually have heard good things about Ride On as compared to Slime & other Fix Its.
  • March 1, 2012 4:56 PM PST
    Soap 'n water BAYBEE!
  • March 1, 2012 5:08 PM PST
    Heard great stuff on the Dyna Beads as well. None were available on my last tire change. Weekend in Nebraska. Oil, tire change & Lloyds Torque tubes. Good excuse for a road trip! LOL
  • March 1, 2012 5:11 PM PST
    Black9 wrote...
    Soap 'n water BAYBEE!

You suggesting I wash my bike? LOLOL

It looks clean when it's moving & even cleaner when I'm going fast. (HAHA  I'm our groups slowest rider but lead our rides from the rear cuz I know more roads ~ It's an ongoing joke with my buddies)

• March 2, 2012 1:42 AM PST
    FishWitch wrote...
    Black9 wrote...
    Soap 'n water BAYBEE!

You suggesting I wash my bike? LOLOL

It looks clean when it's moving & even cleaner when I'm going fast. (HAHA  I'm our groups slowest rider but lead our rides from the rear cuz I know more roads ~ It's an ongoing joke with my buddies)
    Soap is a great lubricant for installation and hell yeah, wash that thing now and then! LOL

AVOID PUTTING ANYTHING INSIDE YOUR TIRES, those beads are BS! AVOID AVOID AVOID!
    • 19043 posts
    March 2, 2012 4:21 AM PST
    Anything but air or maybe nitrogen inside my tires.

NO FREAKIN WAY!

Maintain your pressure, keep them properly balanced, replace them BEFORE they need to be replaced.

• 5420 posts
    March 2, 2012 4:26 AM PST
        Unless I have a flat - then I'll use my can of Fix-A-Flat to get me to where I can get a new tire.
  • March 3, 2012 3:08 AM PST
    Black9 wrote 1 day ago ..........AVOID PUTTING ANYTHING INSIDE YOUR TIRES, those beads are BS! AVOID AVOID AVOID!

RexTheRoadDog wrote about 23 hours ago ...... Anything but air or maybe nitrogen inside my tires.

NO FREAKIN WAY!

Maintain your pressure, keep them properly balanced, replace them BEFORE they need to be replaced.

Lucky wrote about 23 hours ago, Modified about 23 hours ago ..........
    Unless I have a flat - then I'll use my can of Fix-A-Flat to get me to where I can get a new tire.

I Hope Everyone Is Reading These Comments!!!!! If You Put ANYTHING Else In Your Tyres You Are Playing With DEATH!!!!!
  • March 3, 2012 3:11 AM PST
    FishWitch wrote 1 day ago ......... .......... ''when I saw the threads coming thru on my rear tire. I was about 500 miles from home & a holiday weekend. I nursed it home safely but was NOT very comfortable.''

ARE YOU MAD???  ANY DAMAGE TO ANY TYRE NEEDS INSTANT REPLACEMENT!!!!!  You My Friend Are Playing With Statistics and Death!!!!!
    • 130 posts
    March 3, 2012 4:08 AM PST
    It works OK, it's road worthy and easy to put in the tire. I don't think it's  effective for balancing.  It looks a little like dry paper mache'
    I rode 100 miles on a flat rear tire and about 30 on a flat front. (both times the valve stem cracked on a Sunday). Now, I don't worry about tire sealant. I use Dyna Beads in my Valkyrie and in wife's Magna.
  • March 3, 2012 8:21 AM PST
    fiddlemike wrote about 4 hours ago, Modified about 4 hours ago ....... "I don't think it's effective for balancing." .....well der...there aint no surprise there really is there...and you want THAT in your tyres?????

Well good luck to you fiddlemike.....coz I think you will need it if the beads ever decide to stop playing and gang up and flip you a highside on a nice gentle curve.....

I think you should understand Centrepetal and Centrefugal forces that apply to your wheel - and the adverse effects that ANY disruptive influence can have and the strain and pressure generated on a given point - AND what effect it CAN cause as a product of imbalance (I refer you to the section on negative stress forces-cause and effect, but I doubt you will read it) .....

For a good reference point about the full effects of Centrepetal and Centrifugal forces see this info here, its the basic version..... http://www.freestudy.co.uk/dynamics/centripetal%20force.pdf />

It amazes me that the most simple of things like checking tyre wear, looking for any possible damage to a tyre, checking tyre pressures, checking valve operation whilst checking tyre pressures - BEFORE any rideout seems to be overlooked, rather it be that WHEN something like a worn out tyre "happens" on a ride, THATS the only time you would deal with it????? 

A tyre very rarely will go down to threads showing on ONE RUN??? -even from Chicago to California on a low treaded tyre it AINT going to go to thread in that time... it has been degrading and delaminating for MONTHS of hard riding to get to that stage, for your own sakes people.....CHECK YOUR DAMN TYRES BEFORE EVERY RIDE!!!!! 

YOU HAVE THE SIZE OF A POSTAGE STAMP CONNECTING YOU AND YOUR MACHINE TO THE ROAD, IF ANYTHING AFFECTS THE BALANCE OF EITHER WHEEL BY HAVING "SH*T, CR*P, STUFF" IN IT YOU WILL NOT BE IN CONTACT WITH THE ROAD ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~YOU WILL BE IN CONTACT WITH THE MORGUE!!!!!

If you have tyres that are in good condition and have no faults or irregularities in them, there is no need whatsoever to have "stuff" in them as they are in good condition.....If you clump a kerb or do something that may make you wonder if any damage has occurred then you STOP and GET OFF and go CHECK the condition.....If there is damage you CHANGE THE TYRE!!!!!

Trust me when I say that it AINT ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!!
  • March 3, 2012 8:44 AM PST
    I used some Fix a Flat on my rear tire on a long trip last summer. As soon as I got back home I took it in to get it checked out. Turns out the chrome is flaking off on the inside of my wheel so it won't seal properly...that scared the CRAP out of me! I assumed it was a tire issue but it was way worse, and now I have to buy a new wheel.
  • March 3, 2012 1:19 PM PST
    EVERYONE please read what Jetman wrote... You DO NOT play with your life when it comes to these machines and never trust the roads because there are unforeseen things that happen on a minute by minute basis when it comes to what ends up in the road. Please fellow riders heed said advice... the 'beads' that's just insane, never put such garbage on your bike and NEVER milk a tire beyond use!
    For example back in 97 I had a friends who has a really beautiful softail and he decided he was going to have a very expensive White Brothers lowering kit put on it... before he left the shop my good friend and mentor fellow mechanic told him that he needed to change his tire and he could do that for him no problem within the hour. Well, he declined and said he's come back some other time... 3 hours later a guy on a bike with a set up he was no familiar with bottomed out on a rut going home and said rut took out his tire, needless to say this soul is no longer with us! All he needed to do was change that tire. He has the money, he just wanted to get on the road and play.

Life is short folks, I accept the consequences of my chosen passion but first and foremost I make sure that I am as safe as humanly possible!

Do NOT put anything in those tires beyond air!!!

I've said my peace and counted to 3!
    • 823 posts
    March 3, 2012 2:22 PM PST
    Funny how people will spend money on new leathers, new luggage, all kinds of things to look good and you see they have old weathered tires still on. Many of us will wear our tires out and we check them often and replace when worn or damaged. Some of us maybe don't ride as often and that is fine, I have been there where you have other/family/work obligations, but tires still need to be checked even if they don't have the miles. One of the hardest thing on any vehicle is sitting and not being used. Lets all be safe and check our rides out often and for sure before every season, if you have a season where you are. Tires are pretty much top of the food chain for me when it comes to things that will eff me over but also check your brakes, brake fluid, cables, chain belt or drive whatever you got. If you don't know or even doubt have a mechanic look it all over. Whatever you spend to keep your ride safe is worth it to save you a break down or maybe your life or someone elses. Just my two cents............. FYI I have ridden bikes of all kinds street and dirt for 40 years and flats have never been something to worry about on the pavement with good tires especially with tubeless tires. I am still considering carrying fix a flat for emergency use on a trip I have planned in May just because; I am traveling 2500 miles alone, mostly through back country, mostly no cell signal. Don't plan on using it but if I do it will only be in there long enough to get me back to civilization.
  • Ry
    March 3, 2012 3:01 PM PST
    Any TEMPORARY tire patch product should be fully researched and understood prior to use. The "Ride On" product that first started this thread, as well as the other competing lines of products are designed in many cases for vehicles with more than two wheels for a short term repair until the operator can properly replace the offending tire.

Please note that NONE of these products say a motorcycle operator should ignore the fact that their tire has effectively failed and should not be replaced. In fact, they even mention (albeit quickly) that the tire tire should be inspected by a dealer to verify its safety in operation.

Anyone questioning this is simply taking their life into their own hands when it comes to motorcycle tires in poor condition. These are how you make contact to the road and maintain any effective control.

I never chance my life on a questionable tire, nor would ever recommend anyone else do so.

Be safe everyone and continue to dispense the good advice!
    • 5420 posts
    March 3, 2012 5:05 PM PST
    100% - and these TEMPORARY tire fixes - whether it be a can of Fix-A-Flat or a plug - they are VERY TEMPORARY.  They are made to be used when assistance and tire replacement is not readily available.  That does mean to finish your trip home from Sturgis so you can go to your local guy when you get home.  It means find the closest place to get a new tire!  If you were lucky enough the first time to have your tire go down slow and you were able to use a temporary fix, beieve me if that plug or goop blows out at highway speed the tire will not go down slow this time.  And if a tire goes flat at highway speed, more often than not you are going DOWN!

Now for the original question - "Is the extra benefit of balance worth using this product ?'  I don't think so.  You have your tires balanced when you get them.  These products suggest you put them in right after getting a new tire... Why would you need to balance a tire that was just professionally balanced? A quality tire should stay in balance (unless something damaged the tire or rim) until the wear statrs to effect the balance, then it's time to get a new tire.  And if there was something that could have caused damage to the tire or rim, you need to go have it checked out.

Bottom line - keep good tires on your bike, inspect them regularly, and if anything feels funny or out of balance, go get it checked out

• 16834 posts
    March 3, 2012 5:22 PM PST
    I've fixed tires from lawnmowers, split-rings and budds on big trucks, and earth-moving equipment.
    If using fix-a-flat or anything like it (I have) and you take it to be repaired, PLEASE TELL THE TIRE PERSON!
    Why, they contain BUTANE like a cigarette lighter has in it.
    I had the habit of smelling the air coming out of the valve stem once I remove the core.
    Some don't and some times the steel tool will spark on the steel wheel and things explode.
    • 3006 posts
    March 4, 2012 3:21 PM PST
    THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THEIR INPUT !!!
    This thread wasnt intended to bring out any sort of response that made anyone feel like they had to trash my original question for info on THOSE PEOPLE WHO HAD USED THE PRODUCT,that I had been contemplating using.Why point out the obvious? I dont appreciate post's that make me seem like I am advocating using tires that are inferior,or a product that would put ones safety in question.The RideOn (& the Tire Slime) seem like good products & I am well aware of what it feels like to blow a tire at speed on a freeway,or try this one on for size coming down a hill blowing out your front with a couple of deer blockin the road wtf?? yeh thats what I thought rite about the time the bike tried to highside me.

So if a product can promise me some prevention and protection while I am trying to enjoy my ride I am all for it.As for the folks who wont use anything in their tires GREAT !!! Thats your choice,this thread and question was about people who USED the RideOn product,a point I thought I reiterated in a prior post ..on this thread.The number of people I know on other boards, who have used the products mentioned safely without any negative results, are more than a handfull.

As for me the Tire Slime has done what it promised,it eliminated a slow leak that was slowly draining the air from the tire.My last 4 tires front & rear all got the slime treatment rode them down to the wear bars & replaced them w/out any incident or lack of control or performance.

Hats off to Fiddlemike for actually responding to the original ? with some sort of info relevant for me.