Trike Conversion Kits

• February 28, 2012 3:01 PM PST
    Hey, Brothers and Sisters of the Biker Land that we are envolved in. Can anyone help an older disabled man get back on the road again? I'm having trouble finding a kit that I can put on my 1990 FXRS. I need HELP!!
    • 0 posts
    February 28, 2012 3:53 PM PST
    THERE'S A MOB CALLED FRANKENSTEIN TRIKES MAKE A KIT CALLED THE HOOLIGAN MATE..NOT SURE WHERE THEY ARE OR HOW MUCH..
    • 823 posts
    February 28, 2012 3:57 PM PST
    BOOF wrote...
    THERE'S A MOB CALLED FRANKENSTEIN TRIKES MAKE A KIT CALLED THE HOOLIGAN MATE..NOT SURE WHERE THEY ARE OR HOW MUCH..

http://www.frankensteintrikes.com/  />

• 0 posts
    February 28, 2012 4:33 PM PST
    SHIT MATE THEY AINT BLOODY CHEAP...
    • 1161 posts
    February 28, 2012 7:25 PM PST
    Damn, was hopeing you were close to me so I could help put it together and do what I could.
  • February 29, 2012 2:02 AM PST
    There's Deft, and I can't think of the other, dude there are several different makers man, I know of a place that does it in Loganville GA and they are on 78 I just can't think of the name at the moment.
    Do you have any local talented builders that might beable to come up with a desing that works for you? have a great one "T"
    • 844 posts
    February 29, 2012 2:17 AM PST
    Not sure where you are in Texas, but there is Trike Conversions of Texas ovewr this way in Conroe. They carry lots of the top factory manufactured kits like Frankenstein and others. Have seen there work at a few events.

http://www.texastrikes.net />
    Good luck to ya brother, hope you can get back on the road.
  • February 29, 2012 3:41 AM PST
    WOW! I sure am happy with the response. This is INDEED the greatest site that I have found. It's been 15 years since I was picking bugs from my teeth, but this old Marine is not going to give up chasing his dream to get back in the open. Boof, your sure right, what i have seen, is out of my disability income will let me spend. My wife and 15 year old son's needs will always come before my own. Seakers, I thank you, as well as everyone else for you reply.I wear my jump wings on my vest with pride!! Maybe I'll have to look for a salvage trike, although I hate the idea of using someones bad day for my gain. Everyone ride safe, and ride every chance you get!!
  • March 3, 2012 1:07 AM PST
    Maybe consider a sidecar?
    • 1855 posts
    March 3, 2012 1:23 AM PST
    tourglide wrote...
    Maybe consider a sidecar?

• 16825 posts
    March 3, 2012 5:09 AM PST
    My advice is to stay away from Champion Trikes / Sidecar.
    I bought one of their reverse gears for my 2003 Ultra with Ultra Sidecar.
    It busted and did $1000.00 damage to my transmission.
    They gave me every excuse under the sun why it wasn't their problem, and after I proved them wrong they still would not stand behind their product.
    • 1161 posts
    March 3, 2012 5:49 AM PST
    Thumpa wrote...
    WOW! I sure am happy with the response. This is INDEED the greatest site that I have found. It's been 15 years since I was picking bugs from my teeth, but this old Marine is not going to give up chasing his dream to get back in the open. Boof, your sure right, what i have seen, is out of my disability income will let me spend. My wife and 15 year old son's needs will always come before my own. Seakers, I thank you, as well as everyone else for you reply.I wear my jump wings on my vest with pride!! Maybe I'll have to look for a salvage trike, although I hate the idea of using someones bad day for my gain. Everyone ride safe, and ride every chance you get!!

Same here!!  

• 5420 posts
    March 3, 2012 5:52 AM PST
    Kind of liking the side car idea.  A lot less mod to the bike.

(Or you could just invite RevBigJohn down... from what I've seen him do, he could probably convert it to a trike with what he finds in your garage )
  • March 3, 2012 6:08 AM PST
    I have a 1983 Ultra with a 2001 Leman kit. Works good for me. I don't know how far back they go with the kits. The kits are around $18,000.00.
  • March 3, 2012 7:10 AM PST
    I have a Lehman kit on my 99 sportster & my Husband has a Frankenstien kit on his 94 Heritage Softtail. pics on my wall. mine was $7000 in 2002 & my Husband's was $6500 last summer.
    • 16825 posts
    March 3, 2012 3:36 PM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    Kind of liking the side car idea.  A lot less mod to the bike.

(Or you could just invite RevBigJohn down... from what I've seen him do, he could probably convert it to a trike with what he finds in your garage )

One man's junk is another man's starting point.

• March 3, 2012 4:32 PM PST
    Trikes are a wad of money and on an older out of date (in terms of technology) design like the FXR makes that a big challenge. Here's the problem with putting a side car on ANY bike... they will DESTROY your gas mileage and up your maintenance intervals... problem with unbalance slug weight is that it wears whatever side it favors out quicker by proximity of where said weight is hanging. Not to say that it wouldn't work, but you have a 1990 FXRS and figuring out how to do a swing arm maintenance job and a simple oil change is going to be more of an expense in the long run. (I'm sure you can get creative but it's not easy)
    I'm not saying to poo poo the idea of a sidecare completely, but if you go with a side car, get a different bike. FXR's are light and a modern sidecar would eat it for lunch in no time at all... the trike companies know without a doubt that it's better money spent converting to a trike for not only the maintenance, but for the the life of the bike as a whole.

You want side car, get the ugliest softail you can find and strap it to that... yeah your gas mileage is still going to suck and it will wear them down as well but you'll go a lot further with that set up then you would on that classic piece of FXR iron.

Just my 2 cents.
  • April 15, 2012 6:06 PM PDT
    Thumpa, I just finished this conversion on my 1990 FXLR. So this will work for you as well. Go to my profile and look. The kit was from Mystery Designs.
    • 1 posts
    April 20, 2012 1:11 PM PDT
    Got a mate selling a left ride of the bike sidecar ...a HD original...made for aussie conditions..for $1000...you'd have to freight it back though then convert it to right side.
  • May 19, 2012 9:05 AM PDT
    This is an old thread but my dad is selling this conversion kit.
    http://poconos.craigslist.org/mcy/2934494694.html
  • May 22, 2012 12:04 PM PDT
    voyager cycle company, has eight sites in Tx