WAH my tires might get wet!

• February 28, 2012 3:34 AM PST
    How sad heheheh
    • 5420 posts
    February 28, 2012 3:40 AM PST
    I was telling my wife the same exact thing. When I raced motorcycles I raced in Florida, which meant I raced in the rain many of times. Hell the first few years when I had no sponsors I couldn't even afford "wet" tires and went out there and raced on my dry slicks or a worn out set of hand-me-down wets that some other team gave me.

But in all fairness, them cars can get pretty loose at Daytona even on a dry track.

However on the flip side - it wouldn't have taken near as long to put out Juan's fire!!!!
  • February 28, 2012 3:47 AM PST
    I thought the picture said it all... riding in the wet never bothered me all that much... lived in Seattle so it's a fact of life, but never 'raced' in the wet and I'm sure that motorcycles can get squirrley in the turns and straight aways with the power they're putting out!
  • February 28, 2012 3:58 AM PST
    I like this topic...I can't think of any other racing that is stopped due to rain. I have always been puzzled by that. (But then again...I am usually puzzled...LOL) As far as riding in the rain...doesn't bother me but at all. Some very memorable rides have been while getting freaking soaked. A friend of mine won't ride if there is a cloud in the sky. And yes...I give him shit...all the time. He deserves it.
  • February 28, 2012 3:59 AM PST
    MotoGP races in the wet are a lot of fun to watch. The lead changes more, riders lowside in the corners a lot, and back markers that usually don't don't win much stand a better chance.
    • 5420 posts
    February 28, 2012 4:06 AM PST
    Black, you would actually be pretty amazed at how much traction you can have on a wet track with a good set of wet tires. From what I understood about the dynamics of it from the tire reps... unlike a car tire on a wet surface with even the best designed wet tread, you can't possibly push all the water out from the between the entire tire/road surface. On a motorcycle tire since there is such a focused point of contact, it is much easier for a well designed tread to push the water out and allow the tire to be on the track and not a thin layer of water.

Of cousre you did run slightly slower racing in the rain, but not all that much.  The real issue was braking!  If your tire locked, even for a split second, you now took away the advantage of the tread design diverting the water since it was no longer rolling.  If it boke loose even for that split second, you were LOOSE!  The only good thing was - sliding 150 feet on a wet track didn't tear my leathers up as bad

But remember that's on a track specifically designed for traction and no oil layer and dirt mixed with the rain and tires specifically designed for a WET TRACK. I wouldn't take my Road King at any speed through a wet turn on a public street with all purpose tires
    • 5420 posts
    February 28, 2012 4:19 AM PST
    Do NOT try this at home!!!

• 834 posts
    February 28, 2012 5:43 AM PST
    ok, that's just crazy. even if I knew the bike would stick I don't think I could possibly get my mind to let me ride like that in the rain!!!
  • February 28, 2012 7:13 AM PST
    DAMMIT Lucky I'm making fun of NASCAR! The least you could do was indulge me and play along! SHEESH! LOL
    • 1161 posts
    February 28, 2012 11:12 AM PST
    Lol may be they can put on indy tires on a NASCAR? But the driver might get wet as well.
    • 823 posts
    February 28, 2012 1:13 PM PST
     Sorry just thought this was funny
    • 1161 posts
    February 28, 2012 7:05 PM PST
    LMFAO!
    • 567 posts
    February 28, 2012 9:15 PM PST
    @ Lucky ... that's some pretty insane racing. Don't think I'd have the guts to try that on a wet course.
    btw ... what I hate about riding in the rain is the idiots who don't realize they're driving their cage in the rain. They scare the hell outta me.
    • 611 posts
    March 1, 2012 6:52 AM PST
    Lucky... DAMNTHATWASCOOL! My heart rate shot up, adrenaline and I was leaning into the curves... Really loved the way he was passing and the onscreen readouts ROCKED! Thanx for sharing this vid...
  • March 1, 2012 2:09 PM PST
    Rode once in Tropical Depression Eric, rode from SE MO to Dover Delaware. Never again. Thumbs down to riding in the rain, road grime, rust, and wet tires. Call me a sissy.  Oh yea, don't wanna forget the lighting storm in SE Arizona between Patagonia and Sierra Vista, with no place put road to ride.  Scrary poop.  I talked to a guy once that his belt buckle was welded to his gas tank via a ligtening bolt thru his helmet.  NOPE not a rain fan.
    • 3006 posts
    March 1, 2012 4:41 PM PST
    LMAO now thats a serious rain riding story Chucky!! & awesome video Lucky !! n yeah dont ya just love how he hijacks a thread LOL ; )
  • March 1, 2012 5:01 PM PST
    That's some good riding. Visibility would be the worst part.

I'm far from being a racer but have put in more miles in adverse conditions than a lot of folks.

Just goes to prove we aren't so sweet we melt in the rain!

That's a great pic Black & a great  video Lucky . Thanks. Glad the sun is sposed to shine on me this weekend! Vrrrroooom put put put...
  • March 2, 2012 1:53 AM PST
    and still I see these knuckleheads in their beanies riding from the west coast to the Black Hills and their only defense agin da rain is that cheap pair of sunglasses they probably bought from Full Throttle! Cracks me the eff up! Don't they know that west has the spottiest weather patterns? OK I admit I was one of them 'cool' dudes until I had to lean sideways for like 40 miles to keep the bike going straight in a down pour down I-90 a steady stream of rain going down my back and in the crack of my ass! Then I hit some hail and to top it off it snowed when I got to Billings! You live, you learn! LOL
  • March 13, 2012 5:56 AM PDT
    luckychucky wrote...
    <snip>Oh yea, don't wanna forget the lighting storm in SE Arizona between Patagonia and Sierra Vista, with no place put road to ride.  Scrary poop. 

I know that road - no place to hide from the rain on it, except maybe to pull into someplace in Sonoita (the Steakout wouldn't be a bad place to be stuck!).  On the plus side - not that much traffic either, so not too many idiots to worry about sharing the road with.  I ran into the same thing once in Indiana - the storm just popped up - went from clear and nice to pouring rain in about 10 minutes.  Nothing but farms around, no bridges, no place to pull over.  The sky got dark so suddenly, I was still thinking about pulling over and putting on rain gear, but the sky opened up first.  The only good thing was that it was over in 10 minutes.