NASCAR - "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines"

• 5420 posts
    January 9, 2013 1:06 AM PST
    Yep and the Daytona 500 is the week after. Getting close now!!!
    • 16819 posts
    January 9, 2013 3:12 AM PST
    I can't wait, I'm Jonesin' big time. :-)
    • 16819 posts
    January 9, 2013 3:18 PM PST
    Daytona Winter Testing

SPEED.com will be streaming Daytona Pre-Season Thunder from 9a - 12a ET each day. On-air broadcasting will begin at 1p ET. today.
    • 5420 posts
    January 10, 2013 9:11 AM PST
    Just watching some of that today.  I like the look of the new cars now that I see them painted.  Look more like the production bodies.

Best thing I saw today was the interview with Danica... see said she likes the new car because she feels like she is sitting higher and can see out the windshield better...

Let's hope so.  A few of them races last year you would think she could see at all

• 16819 posts
    January 10, 2013 1:35 PM PST
    Maybe Danica needs a booster seat! :-)
    But then again if she wreaks and goes out she can sit anywhere she likes. :-)

The next two days will be without Denny, due to another baby on the way.
    I think that his girlfriend is good enough to have two of his kids, he should at least marry the girl. :-)
    • 5420 posts
    January 10, 2013 2:00 PM PST
    I saw that... one run and gone. You would think they would marry. I give him credit for putting being there as top priority!
    • 16819 posts
    January 11, 2013 4:13 AM PST
    Family first. :-)
    • 844 posts
    January 14, 2013 10:36 AM PST
    The new cars are pretty cool. Was weird to see some drivers on different teams and cars painted different.
    • 834 posts
    January 14, 2013 10:42 AM PST
    Lets get this racing started!
    • 5420 posts
    January 14, 2013 10:54 AM PST
    Just 41 dyas until the Daytona 500. Big party that day with the neighbors!!!
    • 16819 posts
    January 14, 2013 2:19 PM PST
    GoFur wrote...
    The new cars are pretty cool. Was weird to see some drivers on different teams and cars painted different.

My wife likes Joey Lagono, seeing his new car is yellow and now his old car is yellow she had a hard time keeping track up until "The Big One" during testing.
    I teased her and said he is wearing Delana Harvic's old fire suit.

• 5420 posts
    January 24, 2013 3:42 AM PST
    JUST ONE MORE MONTH!!!

NASCAR DAYTONA 500 - FEBRUARY 24!!!!

• 16819 posts
    January 24, 2013 4:05 AM PST
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 5420 posts
    February 5, 2013 8:40 AM PST
    Just two more weeks!!!
    • 16819 posts
    February 5, 2013 2:41 PM PST
    Let the green flag drop!

First driver I rooted for is in the H.O.F., David Pearson, Second driver I rooted for goes in to the H.O.F. this week, Rusty Wallace. :-)
    • 16819 posts
    February 12, 2013 7:54 AM PST
    The Sprint Unlimited
    Saturday, February 16 08:10 PM ET FOX
    • 5420 posts
    February 12, 2013 8:37 AM PST
    yep, and then just one more week!!!!
  • February 13, 2013 1:20 AM PST
    Lucky, you guys going to watch the race at Sporty's?
    • 5420 posts
    February 13, 2013 1:35 AM PST
    Sounds like it could be a plan!!!
    • 16819 posts
    February 14, 2013 3:21 PM PST

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – NASCAR, Swan Racing and two-time Daytona 500 champion Michael Waltrip have announced a special tribute to raise awareness of and contributions for the Sandy Hook School Support Fund.

Following a meeting with town officials, community leaders, first responders and victims’ families last week in Newtown, Conn., it was decided that the No. 30 Lean1 Swan Racing Toyota that's entered for Waltrip in this year's season-opening Daytona 500 would instead carry the number "26" and feature the Sandy Hook School Support Fund.  The car will honor the 26 victims of the December school shooting and display a call-to-action decal encouraging the NASCAR community to make $10 donations by texting the word "NEWTOWN" to 80888.

The Sandy Hook School Support Fund, established jointly by United Way of Western Connecticut and Newtown Savings Bank, supports the healing process for children, teachers, first responders, families, residents, mental health professionals, counselors and others.  One hundred percent of the funds raised will go to meet the needs of the Newtown community.

“Americans everywhere are heartbroken about the tragedy in Newtown," said Swan Racing team owner Brandon Davis.  "We're proud to join NASCAR and the United Way of Western Connecticut to help the community move forward."

Waltrip also confirmed today that all three Michael Waltrip Racing entries will run the “text NEWTOWN to 80888” decal in the upcoming Daytona 500 with drivers Clint Bowyer, Mark Martin and Martin Truex Jr.

“This is like nothing I've ever been part of in my NASCAR career,” Waltrip said.  “It will be an emotional week knowing that we have the potential to do so much good for the Newtown community.  I’m racing for a reason.”

NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France and his wife Amy will personally kick off industry support with a $50,000 donation to be matched by The NASCAR Foundation.

“Being in Newtown last week and delivering a moment of happiness to that community was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced,” said France.  “Looking out at a room of smiling faces amidst the aftermath of a tragedy was powerful.  The NASCAR industry and our passionate fan base have an unbelievable opportunity to rally around this cause and make a huge difference for a community in need.  I'm excited to witness firsthand the NASCAR community’s embrace and support of the Sandy Hook School Support Fund.”

"There'll be a whole lot of people in Sandy Hook and Newtown rooting for Michael and the No. 26 car," said Fire Chief Bill Halstead.  "It'll be something positive to rally around and there will be smiles on faces that haven't smiled in quite a while."

The NASCAR community can contribute to the Sandy Hook School Support Fund by texting "NEWTOWN" to 80888.  For fans without short-code texting plans with their wireless carriers, there are two additional opportunities to donate: online at newtown.uwwesternct.org or by mail to:

Sandy Hook School Support Fund
    c/o Newtown Savings Bank
    39 Main Street, Newtown, CT, 06470

• 5420 posts
    February 15, 2013 2:03 AM PST
    I didn't here that until now.  That is really cool.

And I hear Danica is not going to crash until lap 26 as her tribute 
    • 16819 posts
    February 15, 2013 4:10 AM PST
    I wonder if Danica and Ricky Stenhouse had a lovers quarrel if they would finish it on the track. :-)
    • 5420 posts
    February 15, 2013 4:22 AM PST
    That would be awesome! Could you just see a pissed off women taking it out in a NASCAR?

The Clint Bowyer and Jeff Gordon thing would look like they were just playing in comparison!
    • 16819 posts
    February 15, 2013 4:57 AM PST
    Indeed! :-)
    • 16819 posts
    February 17, 2013 6:13 PM PST
    OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!