Montana

• 314 posts
    January 6, 2012 12:16 AM PST
     I am thinking about riding to monata summer 2013. I am limited on my times so i was thinking about shipping bike to save my days for the ride home. Not sure if i can get it done by train and be with my bike. Has anyone done this? 
    • 1855 posts
    January 6, 2012 12:40 AM PST

I've never shipped my motorcycle but I've shipped items from Ohio to California.  There are independent shippers all over the country.  If where you want something shipped is anywhere near their intended destination they'll do it for you.  Check out this site.  The shippers will bid to ship your items.  You just provide a bit of info; item, wieght, destination, etc.   Then you get to research the bidders and choose the one you want.  It's a good site.  I've used it.  The guy who shipped my stuff was reasonable, curteous, and on time.  Check it out.

http://www.uship.com/ />
    Peace

• January 6, 2012 2:20 AM PST
    Amtrak auto train would be another option
    • 5420 posts
    January 6, 2012 2:54 AM PST
    No sure if the Auto Train runs NY to MT, they have limited routes.

I see you ride a Softail. If you're a Nat'l HOG member you can get a discount here at Federal Motorcycle Transport... www.funtransport.com/harley-davidson
  • January 6, 2012 4:11 AM PST
    You are right Lucky I see no connections from the east cost to out west by autotrain. Ship it and fly out i guess.
    • 314 posts
    January 6, 2012 9:24 AM PST
    Thanks for the responses, i am not a Hog memebr.
    • 0 posts
    January 6, 2012 2:24 PM PST
    Just ride it. It will a lifetime memory. It is only 3 days from NY to Montana if you push a little.

My last trip I couldn't leave Seattle until Friday evening and had to be in N.Y. (Lake George) Monday Morning. It was fun!
  • January 6, 2012 2:54 PM PST
    Hi Paula I'd go with lucky's suggestion , i heard of guys shipping there bikes from NY to Cali. they went through Harley and bike was shipped from dealer in NY to Dealer in Cali. flew to Cali and road back home to NY
    • 314 posts
    January 7, 2012 12:30 AM PST
    I checked on the one lucky gave and it was $900, then i would still have to pay for myself. Jimmyacorn gave one and i haven't got an estimate on that yet. i am thinking just to ride, i don't need to go to MT i just have it in my head.
    • 19034 posts
    January 7, 2012 1:30 AM PST
    I imagine that Black Hills Harley is a common destination for dealer to dealer shipping. If you are not going during Bike Week I suggest you look into that. Rapid City is not too far from some (western) Montana, plus you would get to ride in the Black Hills which is in my opinion the absolute BEST riding in the west, especially in late June early July. No crowds, higher prices, or long lines.
  • January 7, 2012 8:14 AM PST
    Not sure what the cost is ... but what about flying there, renting a bike for the time you're there, and flying home? That option would give you the maximum amount of time on 2 wheels in Montana without worrying about how long it takes to ride home, or how safe your bike is while it's on the train. I plan on doing this later this year, only my destination is Utah.
    • 314 posts
    January 7, 2012 10:41 PM PST
    I would love to ride the black hills, i am not good with crowds so i have no desire for bike week. The more i check into this money might be a issue. I am going to check on amtrek to see how close i can get and cost.
  • Kaz
    January 7, 2012 11:18 PM PST
    I rode from IL to montana this past summer and it was incredible!! have fun and safe travels whichever way you get there!!
    • 1855 posts
    January 7, 2012 11:37 PM PST
    Riding there is the best idea I've heard.

Peace
    • 567 posts
    January 8, 2012 2:13 AM PST
    There's an old cliche` that goes something like "Its not the destination. Its the journey."
    Ride your bike and take your time to enjoy the journey. You won't regret it. There ain't nuttin better than a good, long ride on the motorcycle. Pack for the journey. Plan your route but know that its just a guide .. you don't have to stick to it 100%. Camp out if that's your preference. Use motels if you don't like the hard ground. Take lots of pictures and maybe even keep a journal.
    • 314 posts
    January 10, 2012 12:25 AM PST
    thanks for all the suggestions. I will be riding where i end up going.
  • Kaz
    January 10, 2012 2:16 AM PST
    have a great trip, wherever you end up.... we will be looking for pics!! be safe!!
    • 467 posts
    January 10, 2012 4:40 AM PST
    I agree with Solorbill! Just get on that bike and ride till you have to turn around. Shipping just one bike is expensive. And even more expensive if you ship to a H-D dealer. I have friends from FL that ship up here and they only do it if they can get 10 bikes on the shipment and they usually ship to a BMW dealership because they do not charge to off load and store the bikes (like H-D does). You can check with Beartooth HD in Billings MT. but I spect that they would charge the same exorbitant fee that I heard from Black Hills and Mile High.....
    • 1855 posts
    January 10, 2012 4:42 AM PST
    paulawest wrote...
    thanks for all the suggestions. I will be riding where i end up going.
     So when do you figure on heading that way?  We're on the way.  I'm hoping to go this year...2012

Peace
    • 314 posts
    January 10, 2012 7:49 AM PST
    not until 2013, i want my husband to take a vacation this year , he has never had and i have always gone on them, his turn this yr. i need to save money and some vacation days for my trip. hoping i will have 10 days for the trip
    • 1855 posts
    January 10, 2012 10:09 AM PST
    Well, good luck on the 10 day thing and hope you get more than that. From west central Ohio it's 1365 miles to Sturgis, S. Dakota. 400 miles a day means a three day ride and 3 days is the time I take these days. That's only if I "need" to be there. In my youth I was a lot quicker; a lot quicker. I certainly enjoy the journeys a great deal more now that I have no time restrictions. Anyway, we're still on your route west so when you're ready to head out I'm sure we'll still be around. And if ya'll need some company I know Gypsy wouldn't mind.

Peace
  • January 10, 2012 11:14 AM PST
    Paula, I was thinking about a similar trip to Sturgis from Charleston, SC this summer, did the mapquest thing and it said 27hours and a whole bunch of miles. The crazy thing is I still want to do it, just don't know if I can get that much time off from work.
    • 314 posts
    January 10, 2012 11:21 AM PST
    thanks Jimmy wouldn't mind having someone to ride with. Roll when i thing of the hrs it seems like a lot but when i think of miles i am ok with it. just hope i am able to make it home for work since i love my job! ha