I had to make a difficult decision....

• 6 posts
    October 3, 2011 10:20 AM PDT
    To sell my bike. I didn't get as much as I wanted, but I probably got about what she was worth. Mechanical issues were getting to be too much hastle, for the cost of the parts I could most likely pick up a bigger set of wheels back home in Ohio, and not carrying her home in the truck, plus having a little more cash... well, that's worth something, too. Don't worry, I'll still be around as much as I can, and NO way am I gonna stop riding. If you happen to see my colors hangin' in the back window of my old black truch, know that there's a friendly cage sharing the highway with ya for a while!
    • 19004 posts
    October 3, 2011 10:28 AM PDT
    I saw that on FB Nathan, sorry to hear but many time these things are for the better (down the road). Hang tough friend, we will see you soon again riding. Keep in touch! And very good luck with the move.
    • 6 posts
    October 3, 2011 10:32 AM PDT
    Yeah, Gina and I really wore that poor 400 out over the last 2 years, and the list of ailments was just getting too long, I'm gonna miss that old bike, but I'm definitely looking for something bigger/heavier/more power/more comfortable on long rides.... can't help it, I like touring bikes... just wish they didn't cost so much lol
  • October 3, 2011 10:39 AM PDT
    Our old Magna V4's are cheap and rocket past most on the road. V65, 1100cc's 121 HP stock and do wheelies when not expected AND you will not miss the vibration of a twin !!!
    • 6 posts
    October 3, 2011 10:43 AM PDT
    Rode a 750 magna once, really liked it, except I hated the scream the started made.... passed on the bike because of it. Don't mide vibrations so much, if I could afford a Harley, I'd never look back! Magna's are definitely great bikes though!
  • October 3, 2011 10:46 AM PDT
    In my other forum there was a 1200 sportster guy worried about running an old V45, that's 750 vs. 1200 HA. He kicked his ass, V4's rule
    • 5417 posts
    October 3, 2011 10:57 AM PDT
    Hawk, sorry to hear you had to put the ol' girl down! I'm sure you will miss her but you have lots of memories. Yeah, I know we're talking about a motorcycle, but mine's part of the family and I'm sure Hawk's was too.

Hope you can get back on the road soon!
    • 6 posts
    October 3, 2011 11:00 AM PDT
    Yeah, memories indeed! She was a good bike, I hope her new family treats her right! As far as back on the road, just as soon as I can afford one!
  • October 3, 2011 11:13 AM PDT
    Yep, Hawk no kick start on these 10.5:1 compression engines. I have a CR500 dirt bike and bruise my arch starting the bitch. If the only thing was starting sounds - hit the throttle
    • 567 posts
    October 3, 2011 2:06 PM PDT
    Sorry to hear your scoot has "passed on". But at least now you can go checking out a new ride and drool over a few really nice ones along the way. Have fun on your guy "shopping trip".
    • 9 posts
    October 3, 2011 3:31 PM PDT
    Man, I can soooo relate. I'm still waiting on my "new" bike. Whether it's new or not, I'll cherish this one, as much as the last. I'll say a prayer for you Hawk, that it won't be long. Are you moving to Ohio? I'm from Toledo, myself. If you need to know the names of good scoot mechanics up 'round those parts, let me know, and I'll hook you up. K?
    Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 580 posts
    October 4, 2011 2:22 AM PDT
    Sorry to hear that Hawk but hang in there. I'd be distraught if I had to give up Ethel so I know how it goes. In the meantime you can have fun testing out new ones till you get the one you want

Hugs
    • 846 posts
    October 4, 2011 3:10 AM PDT
    Hawk sorry to hear about your parting with an old friend. Just remember as one door closes another opens. There's a new riding waiting for you, you just haven't run into it yet.
    • 6 posts
    October 6, 2011 11:25 AM PDT
    Thanks everyone... I've got my nose out a few places. Had someone offer me a nice 2000 V-star for less than half it's book value, which I still won't have for a really long time lol. Sucks to have to say no to someone who's trying to do you a BIG favor lol
    • 6 posts
    October 6, 2011 11:27 AM PDT
    Kinda want an OLD 650 + Honda or Yamaha that I can put my ammo cans and crash bars etc on. I have everything off my old Honda lol
    • 6 posts
    April 3, 2012 1:08 PM PDT
    Well Friends, I have a new ride, but she's not running yet lol... 81 Yamaha Virago, 750. Paid $200, she's been sitting since 1985 in a tool shed. Spent most of the day wire brushing, cleaning, checking parts, reconditioning things and putting them back together. Definitely needs carbs and a battery still, other handlebars would be nice and a lot of the stuff (mirrors, switches etc) on them are shot, but the overall prognosis is pretty good, engine's loose but has good compression. Cool thing is that the bike only has 4200 miles on it. This V twin's barely broken in! Can't wait to put a little more elbow grease into her and get in the wind again. Feel like a biker a little more again just seeing her freshly primed hulk sitting in the driveway!
    • 2 posts
    April 3, 2012 1:49 PM PDT
    After your own fashion you are an inspiration.

Found your own ride & setting it up to your own lights - Ride on lad, ride on
    • 823 posts
    April 3, 2012 2:03 PM PDT
    I still have an 86 1100 virago. Had a 920 new back in '83. Good bikes I think. I just wanted a new harley and finally got where I could afford it and have the time to ride it to make it worthwhile. Not sure if your starter on a 750 is like the 1100's but they sucked when they were brand new and still suck, sounds like every time you start it it's gonna be the last. Good thing is you can push start them if you have to, lol.
    • 6 posts
    April 3, 2012 2:07 PM PDT
    LOL Yeah Viragos are infamous for draggin their starters. I had a 1000 that I never did get to ride, the starter on it was less than half the size of the starter in my old 400 Honda. Worst design ever, no power whatsoever. I'm hoping it's alright, less than 5k on it she ought to be alright as long as I drain the oil, pull the plugs, and spray a bunch of wd40 down the cylinders before cranking her the first time. I went through the motions of bump starting the old girl a few times today to make sure the motor turned, no way I was gonna touch the button without doing that after 26 years of sitting lol
    • 823 posts
    April 3, 2012 2:12 PM PDT
    good luck, send some pics when you get it all together and running!
    • 6 posts
    April 3, 2012 2:17 PM PDT
    Will do, trust me, THE WORLD will know when I have a bike again! I was losing my mind not being able to take part in Winter Warrior this January lol!
  • April 3, 2012 2:34 PM PDT
    ive got a 95 750 virago and im pretty sure its the same as the 1100. my 1st bike but wont be the last. im with ya hawk hd= hundred dollars lol $$$$$$$$$$$$$ but look good
    • 6 posts
    April 3, 2012 4:24 PM PDT
    Man if I had the money I'd drop it on an old electraglide or duoglide in a second... but who can afford that these days? I'm hoping the 26+ yeah old tires hold up for a while on this one... good rubber is expensive!!
    • 1780 posts
    April 3, 2012 8:28 PM PDT
    Hey Bro one door closes and another one opens. That scoot was just waiting for someone like you to bring some life back into her. Ride it like you stold it, which sounds like you did.
    Dragon
    • 6 posts
    April 4, 2012 5:17 PM PDT
    yeah I think I might have!!just lookin at her is makin me ITCH all over lol