New here - not to bikes

• September 26, 2011 8:22 AM PDT
     Hey all, I am on other forums out there bike specific but love your event lists.  Now in search of a city to city backroad mapping site, has anyone seen one of these?  Not the GPS software sites but one you can actually look at before buying something.  Thanks, John, V65 rider.  
    • 7 posts
    September 30, 2011 3:10 AM PDT
    John, Re: Mapping site, I found Map Quest has a GREAT feature for finding obscure routes. After getting "driving directions" you can exclude individual roads (highways, the boring usual route, etc.). I've used it to successfully make an ordinary ride MUCH more enjoyable!!
  • September 30, 2011 3:12 AM PDT
    Google Maps works better, a+ with the drag route change feature and they have the avoid highways too - Map-quest grayed out the avoid highway box on some routes on me
    • 7 posts
    October 29, 2011 3:56 AM PDT
    I must respectfully disagree JJTV4, for finding obscure backroad routes MapQuest's feature is better.

With Google's "route change" you must already know what road you want.

With MapQuests feature you eliminate those you don't want - it then suggest new ones that you may not have known or thought about. You do this util you get something you'd like to ride.

Of course this may be akin to arguing over what's the best beer ;-)
    • 7 posts
    October 31, 2011 3:54 AM PDT
    Additionally, MapQuest too has the "drag route" and "avoid highway" features.

I used it again to find a wonderful route through the foothills this weekend - all windy back roads and beautiful countrysides.
    • 5420 posts
    October 31, 2011 5:52 AM PDT
    ScottWelker wrote...

Of course this may be akin to arguing over what's the best beer ;-)

I agree there, like beer a lot has to do with personal preferrence.  I myself use the google maps, maybe because I am just more familiar with them and have got good at using them.  I like to go to Sattelite View and drag the route to what looks good from there.  I also like that you can save the maps, add notes and share them with friends - kind of like I did on this Sturgis Route... http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=214019887031443958583.0004b09ba304b86112271 style="color: rgb(0, 0, 128);"> .

But like I said I don't use MapQuest because I'm familiar with google maps, so maybe they have these features too.

And in all honesty, the map usually doesn't last all that long anyway before I decide another road looks better when I get there.  In 2010 we had a well planned route to Sturgis which we stuck to almost all the way through the first day.  Then everytime we came to an intersection or split in the road we would look at the sky and head in the direction with the least amount of clouds.  As long as we were going NE we knew we would get there

Remember... You're never lost on a motorcycle as long as there is gas in the tank!!!

• 567 posts
    October 31, 2011 8:09 AM PDT
    Hi there John and welcome to CF. I reckon the guys have already given you enough info on which is their favorite .. MapQuest or Google Maps. Good luck with finding the perfect backroad.
    • 2 posts
    October 31, 2011 11:04 AM PDT
    +1 for Google Maps - usually start out w/ MapQuest to get basic info but from then on it fights me the whole way.

Here are some place I go for inspiration:

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/ridePlanner.jsp?locale=en_US />
    http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/ />
    p.s.: Nothing wrong w/ plain, old fashioned, folding hard copy either. - Ontario, MI, MD & PA have great maps available for the asking (NY's maps like everything else in NY, rot)
    • 7 posts
    November 1, 2011 3:40 AM PDT
    @Lucky: Love that tag line "You're never lost on a motorcycle as long as there is gas in the tank"

AND "the map ...doesn't last all that long... before ...another road looks better..." True dat :-))
    • 7 posts
    November 1, 2011 3:41 AM PDT
    @99Savage: Thanks for the links! Good stuff!!
    • 1 posts
    November 1, 2011 3:48 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...

Remember... You're never lost on a motorcycle as long as there is gas in the tank!!!

Yep, just finding new roads is all you're doing when you don't know where you are.

You should make a sticker with that saying!