Finally made it to the Dragon.......

• August 22, 2011 12:01 PM PDT
     Well, I finally made it to the Tail of the Dragon last weekend, and the entire 4  day trip was a blast.  My fisrt stop from  Raligh NC was an over nighter in Marion NC, about 3.5 hours away.  The next day I rolled into Robinsonville which is about 20 short of the beginnig of the Dragon. Very motorcycle friendly place. That afternoon I did two rides on the Dragon and thoughly enjoyed myself.  I met up with a nice couple from out of state that was riding two up on a HD, it was there first time there too. In fact everyone I met in that whole area was very nice  The Dragon is not hard you really just have to make sure you don't ride past your limitations and stay on your side of the yellow line, and check six so you can pull over if a faster rider is on your tail.  Now once you do the Dragon there are plenty of real nice if not nicer roads out there. The www.cherohala.com/ skyway and NC 360 I think where more enjoyable. thats about a 5 hour loop with very  very light traffic. When I was on the skyway about 40+ miles long I saw only 3 cars and that was at the tail end of the skyway, but be very careful, it's a 5300 ft drop, and if no one see you go over you will most likely be a fossil by the time your found. 

Cheers
    Ron

• 0 posts
    August 22, 2011 12:45 PM PDT
    I agree a fun ride and fun to be able to say, been there done that.
    But there are more enjoyable roads.
    It is fun to sit around at the resort and BS with people though. :-)
  • August 22, 2011 2:26 PM PDT
     . ....Chili and I did the Tail of the Dragon last year on our...Texas and Beyond Road Trip...I wasnt overly impressed....25 -30 mph the entire way....down shifting continously ......enjoyed the Cherohala Sky Way much more....nice big sweepers with majestic views around almost every bend......crotch rockets were annoying on both....

~ Peace .. 
  • August 22, 2011 2:54 PM PDT
    I agree with both, and the Cherohala Sky, was incredible. as was NC 360

Cheers
    Ron
    • 611 posts
    August 22, 2011 8:18 PM PDT
    Hey Mayhem, Thanx for sharing.
    Ride Long and Prosper...
    Edge
  • August 23, 2011 12:00 AM PDT
    Ron, nice post. I've heard a lot of this ride. Maybe one day I'll muster up the courage to do it; I'm still a little shaky on the real tight turns...especially knowing there is a 5300 drop on the other side!
  • August 23, 2011 1:54 AM PDT
    I have rode the Dragon atleast a dozen times and it will still challange your riding skills every time you ride it. My favorite road up there is the Hellbender 28 from the Dragon all the way to Warwoman road. Just about any road up in that area is twisty or has elevation changes. We try to take a 3-4 day trip up to Robbinsville every year..
  • August 24, 2011 1:49 AM PDT
    StreetBobGirl wrote...
    Ron, nice post. I've heard a lot of this ride. Maybe one day I'll muster up the courage to do it; I'm still a little shaky on the real tight turns...especially knowing there is a 5300 drop on the other side!

StreetBobGirl, it's not to bad, just stay on your side of the yellow lines and take it easy.  Some riders and drivers let  there ego and lack of common sense get in the way of good judgment.    Just relax and you'll do fine

Cheers
    Ron

• 834 posts
    August 25, 2011 3:10 AM PDT
    I have got to get down there one day. Seems like everyone has been there 'cept me!
  • January 13, 2012 3:02 AM PST
    Im going march 30/31
  • January 30, 2012 9:43 AM PST
     I was there two years ago but chose not to ride the Dragon....for two reasons.  

One..even if you stay on your side of the line that doesn't mean oncoming traffic will...see some of the youtube videos on the Dragon....

Two...my wife was with me and I never take chances or ride unfamiliar roads like the Tail of the Dragon with her on the back.  Just last year, some of our Arizona riders were making their way up some twisties to the town of Jerome, Arizona on what is called 'Mingus Mountain'.  (I ride it all the time).  

It just so happened that two brothers were racing in the opposite direction...one on a bike and the other in a car.  Needless to say what happened when the brother in the car decided to pass his brother on the bike around a corner!  I think that two of the group were killed instantly and others in the group were injured and several had to lay their bikes down.

I have not been on that road since.  Neither will I ever ride the Dragon..there are a lot of other roads to ride that are just as fun but not so dangerous..for me anyway!  At my age...in my 60's, it is always safety first.  If you do ride the Dragon make sure you do as our friend says..."stay on your side of the line and keep your focus at the top outside of the curve.  Motorman says it best http://youtu.be/Chl1atUJZUI  />
    Don't get me wrong...I am not saying don't ride the Dragon...I'm saying..Keep your eyes on the road, slow down... and value your life and your passenger's.   Ride Safe! ReggaeRider
    • 580 posts
    January 30, 2012 9:47 AM PST
    AzRider wrote...
    I have got to get down there one day. Seems like everyone has been there 'cept me!

Me neither AZ - but one day eh? 
    • 1 posts
    January 31, 2012 10:06 AM PST
    Rode the dragon myself several times and loved it. The surrounding area great, if you are ever that way again, you got to check out the Devil's Triangle, it's not as popular as the Dragon, but it's more challenging. Check it out go to http://www.devilstriangletn.com/
    • 567 posts
    January 31, 2012 12:36 PM PST
    My brother and I go up to the Dragon area about once a year. Its great riding country all over the place. Beside the Dragon, the Cherohala and the Hellbender that you mentioned, there's also the Revenuer 28 and Wayah Road just to mention a few. Also some great country roads south of Franklin and around the Tellico area. Heck. Its ALL good up there. You just gotta explore.
    • 1 posts
    March 23, 2012 4:07 AM PDT
    doing it this year...can't wait to compare it with Macquarie Pass just 15 km from my front door.
  • March 23, 2012 4:30 AM PDT
    I've only done it once (back seat) I was a little nervous form what the ex shared with me. When we got there we were behind a few others and could only do 25-35 and that seemed mild even for me. All in all I agree with everything said especially the comments about the surrounding area and there being nicer rides near by. There are and we had a blast at the Dragon and a BLAST after we left the Dragon!
    • 3006 posts
    March 23, 2012 5:11 AM PDT
    It looks like a nice ride,out here in Calif we have so many twisty roads,where I am,that when I get some plain flat stretchs of pavement I enjoy em !!! If your ever craving some serious twisty with incredible scenery,try old pescadero rd off Hwy 1 up to alpine rd then follow her out,it is more like a switchback trail then a road..the nicest part is no traffic at all,there are only a few ranches off the road & at the summit the views are incredible.
  • March 23, 2012 6:55 AM PDT
    Sounds like a good time.
    • 1855 posts
    March 23, 2012 10:20 AM PDT
    I've ridden the "Tail" and to me it ain't all that impressive.  Oh, it's challenging enough to say the least.  But there's really nothing scenic about the 11 miles downhill from Deals Gap. A mountain on one side and the valley (which you can't see for the trees) on the other.   "Ricers" get it but HD riders I saw just didn't seem to have a freakin' clue.  Ya can't navigate the "Tail" like you're sitting on a crotch rocket.  And, ya can't be lookin' at or lookin'  for scenery on the "Tail".  Thefirst time I rode the "Tail" is the day I developed a whole lotta respect for those guys and gals who really know how to sit a crotch rocket.  So, if you're going to the "Tail" for the first time you'll discover some other great riding in western N. Carolina.  Be prepared for some of the most gorgeous country east of the Mississippi.

Peace
    • 1 posts
    March 23, 2012 11:10 AM PDT
    Toll booth? do you have to pay to use the road? (lookin at map above)
  • March 23, 2012 11:24 AM PDT
    One route I have done a couple of times is to follow the roads through the Adirondacks from Lake George past Lake Champlain and on further North and then there is a road further up that crosses over to Lake Placid, dont know the route number but its a mass of hairpins and it rises very severely...lol...

First time I did it I was still on crutches...lol...almost scared me...lol...I couldn't walk but I could still ride...and THAT was a good ride...round trip of maybe 150 to 200 miles in total...enjoyed it so much that I went back and did it again a year or two later...lol...but that time was WITHOUT the crutches...lol...

Also did Mt Washington...one time on a bike.....the other was to say the least scary as the weather down at base was 78 degrees and t-shirt...Was a huge snowstorm up top and bikes just were not allowed up at all that day, so we took the tour bus up...I had a bit of a ZZ-Top beard at the time and I was on crutches ...lol... Wind tried to take me off the top...It was way below freezing with horizontal snow and rhime frost sideways sticking out from EVERYTHING...lol...as soon as I got out the bus my beard froze, my leather jacket went crunchy and my hat froze on the one side.....lol..... I shall try and find the picture...lol... be right back...watch this space...lol...

Here It Is...lol...