Best Tires for General Riding

• g
    January 14, 2010 11:36 PM PST
    true .....
  • January 22, 2010 5:20 AM PST
    Stock Dunlops work well on soft tail. Plus made in America and Union
    • 2072 posts
    January 22, 2010 6:16 AM PST
    Come to the Darkside (we have cookies!! ) ............ I'm running a Goodyear Triple Tread (car tire) on the back of my Boulevard (I know, it's not a Harley!!). Will NEVER go back to a MC tire!!!!!!
  • March 23, 2010 9:49 AM PDT
    Rick71 wrote...
    i see there are alot of different opinions on tire types here. i guess it all depends on what you ride (sport bike or cruiser) and the type of riding you do (mild to aggressive). Sounds like a trial and error kinda thing, find something that works good for you then stick with it i guess..

I agree with this too.  The reason there are so many tires, is just because there are so many riding styles and personal preferrences.  For me, I just cruise along a moderate speeds and have found the factory Dunlops work best in all types of weather for my type of riding.

• 5 posts
    March 26, 2010 6:03 AM PDT
    As to how long they last, on my 2001 Electra Glide, it had 40,000 miles on it when I bought it... I don't know when the tires were put on that came with the bike but I have rode it 18,000 miles in the past 2.5 years and have replaced the rear tire twice (once because of a screw it picked up) and just now have to replace the front (not wore smooth like the first back was but not safe on wet roads). These were all stock Dunlop's from Harley.
    • 2072 posts
    March 26, 2010 6:23 AM PDT

Goodyear Tripple Tread CAR TIRE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come to the Darkside,
    we have cookies !!!!  

• March 26, 2010 7:12 AM PDT
    Metzlers or Pirelli, same company, are the only motorcycle tire that I am aware of that use a belt of steel....which to me provides an extra degree of safety. I run the 880 Marathons on my touring and sport touring bikes...great mileage and very trust worthy in the corners. I trust nothing but Metzler Sportec on the Sportbikes, I have used them for so many years...often run them till the steel cord is showing (they arn't cheap) usually get from 2500 to 5000 miles depending on how much fun I have been having. The 880's on the other hand will give me about 10 to 12 thousand on the sport touring bikes and around 15 thousand on my Gl 1800 wing. My son on his 750 shadow got close to 30000 miles... That is very unusual...but the shadow has an over sized rear tire, and not a whole lot of power......whatever you do, do not buy a cheap off brand tire...they can never be trusted ...a good tire will scoot and talk to you in a hard corner, where a cheaper tire will just let go.....remember , as always, you get what you pay for. Slider
    • 1040 posts
    March 29, 2010 11:58 PM PDT
    Anyone used the Michilin's? A fellow I know has em on his dresser and he likes em a lot so far. These are his first set so the judgement ain't fully in yet till he wears em out....Any thoughts on these?
  • March 30, 2010 12:14 AM PDT
    i have the 402 on front, i like it, feels a little mushy at times, but that is probably just me and the really smooth road surfaces, my bike was a used bike, had an avon on the rear, i can't say i don't like it, but i feel it break loose at odd times, i don't like coming out of a corner, on the throttle and the rear feels like it wants to come around.
  • March 30, 2010 12:36 AM PDT
    Original Equipment Bridgestone on the Suzuki C90 has been good both front and rear. 14,000 but needes replaced soon by wear bar. Had good service with Michilin on Moto Guzzi 850 Eldorado but was 20 years ago...
  • May 22, 2013 7:33 PM PDT
    Just signed for my new tires from the ups man. I cut both my tires this weekend riding home from San Diego. I'm gonna give the new Metzeler M888 Ultra Marathon Tires a try. I'll let everyone know how they are since their brand new and are the replacements for the Metzeler Marathons M880. Btw they were 286 dollars for the pair and there for my 08 Streetglide.
  • May 23, 2013 7:19 AM PDT
    Don't care for the short life of Dunlops.I currently have Bridgestones,but the best tires I ever had on the front was a Harley reinforced stiff sidewall tire.Got about 19k miles and it still had tread,but it was starting to show some weather cracking.I've also had decent luck with Kendra ? Kruz....but I've heard they are only best on mid weight cruisers.
    • 58 posts
    August 14, 2013 12:26 PM PDT
    Just changed out the rear on my '05 FLHPI today. 20,400 miles on a Michelin Commander II. Before that I had factory Dunlops that lasted 12K and 14K each. Went with Metzler 888 this time. We will see how it handles the wet. Can't be worse then the Michelin. By the way, all 3 brands are about the same for purchase price +/- $160.00. I had 36K on the Dunlop front when I took it off.
  • August 15, 2013 2:18 PM PDT
    My new Metzeler's out perform the stock dunlops 10 to 1 better in handling, curves etc.
    • 3006 posts
    August 17, 2013 6:49 AM PDT
    Just recently changed out my rear dumlop,had about 12000 on it.Lasted for a little over 2 years.
    Replaced it with a Pirelli MT66.So far I am impressed with this tire.On my scoot,it has really improved the handling over what I expected from dumlop,and the price was very reasonable.It holds well over roadcracks,good out of the corners,and overall better feel for hard cornering and steering.
    If I get 10,000. out of it I'll be a happy camper
  • August 29, 2013 11:02 AM PDT
    I like my tires to be round and black.
    • 3006 posts
    August 31, 2013 5:52 AM PDT
    Just posting an update the Pirelli MT66 is head n shoulders above the dumlop for cornering,braking,riding over road rain/grooves,a lot easier to lean in on slow turns,took a bit of getting used the faster response out of the corners,with a really planted feel.Have about 300+ miles,hoping they give me at least 10000.The tread design is deifinitely superior to the dumlop.
  • saj
    September 11, 2013 3:04 AM PDT
    Anyone try Michelin yet. Reviews are good
    • 1855 posts
    September 11, 2013 5:07 AM PDT
    I go with what's on the bike originally and the average for the rear is 10K and the front is closer to 17K. I replace the rear tire twice a year and the front once a year.
    • 3006 posts
    April 18, 2014 6:05 AM PDT
    Interestingly enough it seems to be the reverse for my Honda vtx.Looking at using a metz880 for a front replacement,as the dumlop has barely given 7000 this time round.My rear is holding up really well.
  • April 22, 2014 5:23 AM PDT
    Ive put 60k on this 97 FXSTC in the picture and have whittled it down to a Kenda on the rear and a Shinko 777 on the front...
  • May 12, 2015 7:00 AM PDT
    Reviving yet another old thread....
    To answer the questions about the Michelin's-
    I have a set of Commander 2's on front and back. I figure all the work of alignment, suspension and brakes comes down to a contact patch of 3 sq. inches. For me, this IS the place to spend the hard earned cash. The mount and ballance is the only thing that I have farmed out to a shop.

Night and day difference over the stock Dunlops. The reviews are correct. These tires perform excellent and wear well on my little XLH.  For me, well worth the extra couple of bucks.
    • 79 posts
    May 15, 2015 3:47 PM PDT
    Last summer put a dunlop american elite on the rear.Had 10000 miles on it with 70% of the tread left but ran over some metal and cut it,so i replaced it with the same.I think this is my new favorite tire.
    • 3006 posts
    May 16, 2015 5:16 PM PDT
    Going to purchase a new rear tire, the Pirelli is nearly used up, about 10000 mi. I usually do the change myself, yet this time I'll probably have the shop change it out. Not sure if I'll go with some new brand over the stock duns if I cant get the Pirelli for a decent price.
    I often wonder how the riders are doing who were using the car tires or if any are still out there?
  • August 8, 2015 7:26 AM PDT
    Metzeler ME 880's only for my baby.