Rider acknowledgement on the road

• 395 posts
    July 28, 2011 1:22 AM PDT
     Used to be whenever you saw two (or more) riders pass each other there was always some form of mutual respect exchanged from them, but here lately i've noticed while out and about a very distinct lack of any exchange,which kinds of saddens me. so my question is this, do you acknowlegde other riders on the road( wave, nod, smile,anything)...and if not...why? 
    • 1364 posts
    July 28, 2011 1:34 AM PDT
    I "wave" most of the time. Just depends on the traffic and situation. Here is a thread on hand gestures
    www.cyclefish.com/forum/General/Off-Topic/Motorcycle-Hand-Gestures-2756-1.html />
    • 19046 posts
    July 28, 2011 1:50 AM PDT
    Like Jeff I usually do the same.
  • July 28, 2011 2:10 AM PDT
    When we moved from Virginia about five years back, we noticed that the "biker wave" isn't used quite as much here in New England. That being said if you instigate it, bikers wave. But if you don't, most likely you won't get one. It's not a big deal, there are so many of us out here, your hand would be out all the time! LOL!
    • 395 posts
    July 28, 2011 2:24 AM PDT
    thanks for the replies...i came from a small town and a nod was always standard so you could keep your hands where they needed to be and your eyes on the road. Guess for me it's more about respect of the other riders and i want to let them know i respect them...and the occasional thumbs up if they are on a really cool bike..........
  • July 28, 2011 2:27 AM PDT
    With me traffic and the number of bikes coming at ya makes for a quick wave and eyes back on the road. Sometimes I am forced to use my N.Y. hand gesture on cars but not too often.
    • 844 posts
    July 28, 2011 2:39 AM PDT
    Just about everyone down here waves to other bikers. A little lees in the city areas, but I'm sure part of that is safety and part because people in town usually have something they are doing. I don't think I have ever passed a bike on the open roads of Texas without waving and being waved to.
    • 3006 posts
    July 28, 2011 3:30 AM PDT
    Usually the "wave" depends on what part of the year I am out riding,early spring everyone waves(cept the Goldwing operators;),then about June it starts to tail off,unless of course its on Sunday,then most are all smiles n waves..by the end of summer,basically just get a nod.By late fall your lucky to get a nod if any & waves are so passe,then winter comes n the whole cycle starts all over againtho just for kicks I often wave n figure TAG ur it,especially when I see the sport bike riders ..lol..they are like wtf?? did that old cruiser guy just wave at me???
  • July 28, 2011 3:50 AM PDT
    Bikers here acknowledge one another, regardless of ride. I am sure it has to do with the area where one lives, and how saturated with bikes it is. I live in Europe, and do the best I can to stay away from cities, so I see lots of friendly folks. Once in France there was a rider on the OPPOSITE side of an empty highway waving til I thought his arm would break. Guess he does not see many bikes on the road. I would think even in European cities there is too much going on with traffic, therefore dangerous in many cases to acknowledge other bikers. Safety first, don't you know.
  • July 28, 2011 4:14 AM PDT
    I wave 90% of the time, the other 10% is when you see the other biker and can tell right off they are not going to reply. Then there times when I do wave and the other just ignors you for what ever reason. Oh well , what ever!!!!!
    • 5420 posts
    July 28, 2011 5:14 AM PDT
    I wave to EVERYONE on a bike. Sometimes I even forget when I am in my truck and hit my hand on the door attempting to wave at a passing biker
    • 16837 posts
    July 28, 2011 5:51 AM PDT
    I wave to others on bikes, the crotch-rocket pilots seem surprised.
  • July 28, 2011 6:53 AM PDT
    yeah, when traffic allows, i wave. don't care if i get one back. actually after a conversation a while ago, i wave to scooters/mopeds... seems to make their day.
  • July 28, 2011 7:10 AM PDT
    Just about always out her everyone does it
  • July 28, 2011 7:25 AM PDT
    blurplebuzz wrote...
    Usually the "wave" depends on what part of the year I am out riding,early spring everyone waves(cept the Goldwing operators;),then about June it starts to tail off,unless of course its on Sunday,then most are all smiles n waves..by the end of summer,basically just get a nod.By late fall your lucky to get a nod if any & waves are so passe,then winter comes n the whole cycle starts all over againtho just for kicks I often wave n figure TAG ur it,especially when I see the sport bike riders ..lol..they are like wtf?? did that old cruiser guy just wave at me???

I ride a goldwing and i wave or nod if I can't take my hand or the handlebars and every winger I know waves or makes some kind of sign even to Harley riders most of them wave or nod back. The niga bikes are surprized most of the time and some even wave or nod. 

• 846 posts
    July 28, 2011 9:01 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    I wave to EVERYONE on a bike. Sometimes I even forget when I am in my truck and hit my hand on the door attempting to wave at a passing biker

Lucky I feel better now I've done the same thing in my truck.

I will normally wave to all bikers unless I need both hands then I'll nod. Sometimes it's returned sometime not. There lose if they don't want to wave. Then again I've seen some very unique waves back.

• 9 posts
    July 28, 2011 9:10 AM PDT
    Yup! A wave, a nod, sometimes even a (dorky) thumbs-up. Depends on all of the aforementioned. But I DO try to acknowledge everyone. Don't care what they ride. We're all out here enjoying ourselves and God's beautiful surroundings.  So share the smiles and waves, God ain't the only one who enjoys them....
    RIDE FREE
    Tweek
  • July 28, 2011 2:05 PM PDT
    I always wave too. Doesn't matter what the other riders is on.
    • 58 posts
    July 28, 2011 2:40 PM PDT
    It doesn't matter to me what they ride, if the knees are in the breeze, I wave when possible. And I've hit my hand on the door also.
    • 395 posts
    July 28, 2011 10:57 PM PDT
    thanks for all the reply's......i feel better now!
    • 9 posts
    July 28, 2011 11:49 PM PDT
    If I don't wave at ya, it's because I was deep in thought, or it was not safe to do so.
    • 1364 posts
    July 30, 2011 1:34 AM PDT
    In rare occasions I use this one

• 395 posts
    August 2, 2011 1:20 AM PDT
    gotta love the one finger salute......has the same translation in every state.
    • 611 posts
    August 20, 2011 9:00 AM PDT
    JMO (justmyopinion)

Snobs know no boundaries. There are elitist, self-centered folks from every level of life. Y'all know I ride a E-glide Harley. Geezer-glide some call it. When I'm riding, I've usually got a big 'ol schmit eating grin and I freekin wave at EVERYBODY on two wheels. Left hand low, two fingers out. Two wheels and Peace, man! Know what, about half the time I don't even look to see if they are waving back. That's NOT why I do it... I do it to say 'Howdy'. Yeah, I know there are some that don't wave back... I don't care. Some don't see me wave, some are too cool or are 1%er patch holders. They don't have to wave back. Don't care...

If I'm in the middle of a curve, you might get a nod. I'm in heavy traffic or in town in traffic, not so much. I'm payin attention! I always stop to help a stranded biker, maybe a cage if we are far from anything/town etc.

Guess what I'm saying is "Wave or not. It takes all kinds to make the wheels go round!"

Sooo Ride Enjoy Repeat as Needed!

Edge
    • 611 posts
    August 20, 2011 9:06 AM PDT

I have read all of the replies to this subject. Here are a few observations... 1.Women riders receive less respect and sometimes disrespect. Totally WRONG! 2. Not everyone who doesn't wave is a snob. 3. Everyone that rides IS our Brother/Sister of the road. We all ride for the same reasons. 4.We all have more in common than we have differences. 5.Whatever type two wheels/trike you ride, there are other like-minded folks you can ride with. A friend said it clearly. "I would rather ride beside a true brother on a Honda, than a prick, just because he's riding a Harley!" 

All this is JMO, justmyopinion... As with world politics, one group hates another... until you realize we all want the same things! Food on their table, security for their family and a way to earn a living. For us bikers, we want time and money enuff to ride, safety on the road & respect. So...

Ride Enjoy Repeat!

Edge

and keep waving.

They don't have to wave back...

That's not why you waved...