Little Help?

• May 17, 2011 8:25 AM PDT
    Hi Everyone, sorry long time no post, been busy with work n grandkids softball/baseball n such....

I'm in need of a little advice....My stepson whom is 32 years old has decided he wants a motorcycle, He has no riding experience whats so ever "NONE" well on atvs in the sand dunes.

Anyhows he says he will take a class which is all good but my problem is this....He wants me to test ride it "Crotch Rocket" However I don't want to because I have no experience on that type of bike...None at all...I've always ridden cruisers.

He feels i'm not being supportive but I think I would be placing myself in a bit of n unsafe situation?...I'm a very experienced rider since I've been in the saddle for over 42years n I do have police motorcycle training including high speed lay down training....

I just don't think it's a good idea...I'm thinking he should take the class then go test ride himself...Any suggestions?  I'm open minded on this.

Thanks cf Family
    RandyJoe...Ride Strong...
    • 638 posts
    May 17, 2011 8:52 AM PDT
    crotch rockets are a completely different animal. Having ridden both, I'd say sick with your cruiser and stay away from the other. Just my 2 cents...but I hate wheelies though
  • May 17, 2011 9:07 AM PDT
    Ive ridden both-- personally - and just my cents- you would have no issues test riding a crotch rocket- other than being fairly uncomfortable- they ride and handle extremely well- my thought is that a crotch rocket- even a 600 - will be a whole lot a bike for someone that has never ridden on the street and in traffic- i would encourage him to start off with a cruiser and if he still wants to go balls to wall later- he can always get one after he has a bit of experience under his belt-
    thats my 2 cents- and for the record- i have no animosity at all for those who choose to ride sport bikes- as long as it has 2 wheels- im down!
    respects
    dave
    • 2 posts
    May 17, 2011 9:30 AM PDT
    If the "crotch rocket" is standard (mid-controls) you shouldn't have any trouble riding it but, you will most likely miss any subtle handling issues since you do not ride that type of bike. I would highly recommend your stepson take a MSFRC beginners course before purchasing a bike. Many people think they want to ride and quickly find out they are not particularly suited for it. It's better to find out before you purchase then after.

Also, if you want to be supportive, offer to practice with him after he completes (or fails) the course. A lot of people (and state DMVs) think that the MSFRC is sufficient to ride on the street. As a certified MSFRC instructor I can tell you it is not. The MSFRC will give you the basic knowledge of road safety as well as demonstration of techniques. It is up nto the rider to practice and perfect these techniques on their own.
    • 0 posts
    May 17, 2011 9:33 AM PDT
    Gday RandyJoe LTNS mate.As you know i have a couple of bikes.My buell is a bloody lunatic sports bike.My dyna is a nice cruiser and my ironhead is a bloody rippa bar hopper.They all do do different things but same sorta principal.If you can ride your cruiser mate you can ride a sports bike.Same shit better handling.It'll take you about 10 minutes to feel the bastard out and then you'll be fine.as for your stepson wanting one,mate the new bikes go like a waxed gorilla and take a fair bit of experience to ride..Thats why the make virago's and rebels so that beginners can get the basics of riding a motorbike..Then again if you aint that keen on the lad Hyabussa is the way to go..My two bobs worth..CHEERS BOOF
  • May 17, 2011 9:56 AM PDT
    Well this will bring you up to a dime. Your Cruiser is a limo with a long wheel base. The sport bike will handle like a sport car. I have been on dirt racers, cruisers and as some call conventinal road bikes. They all drive simular but ride different. Now if you know all about one you will know what to look for as a "Good Used Bike". If it is a personal used bike, I think that it would pay to have it inspected by a service mechanic for the brand. They will know what the "Twitch" feels like and if it will put your a$$ in a bed. What is the history of the bike.
    Now I feel that a new rider needs to start with 100 less horses to learn with. I have seen several new riders put the wheel in the air at least once while learning. I rode a 250 with a group of cruisers for the first year and enjoyed the ride near as much as all the rest the first year. Then traded for a 750 cruiser. Just my personal ramble.
  • May 17, 2011 10:26 AM PDT
    Just to throw in my $0.02:

I think if you're not comfortable with it, you shouldn't do it.  And to me, this seems like a good reason for the stepson as well. If you're not comfortable with that style of bike, you may not be the best person to give the kind of feedback he's looking for, anyway.

It's great that he wants you to test ride the bike- it's a nice sign of how much respect he has for your opinion. Hopefully he'd understand if you suggested that someone who rode that style of bike routinely would be better suited to evaluating the bike than yourself.
  • May 17, 2011 11:05 AM PDT

I actually got about a dollar n a half worths from ya'll all n I really thank you for your input, I will noodle on this info n let chaya'll know the outcome.

Again you've proved that cf family members care.
    RandyJoe...Ride Strong...

• 5420 posts
    May 17, 2011 11:54 AM PDT
    Well my opinion is about the same as everyone else... you could probably ride it just fine, but if you're not comfortable... DON'T.

However, if you do decide to ride it.... I expect to see a picture of you on it with your vest, chaps and bandana! 

That is unless you were going to get a new outfit for the test ride...

• 0 posts
    May 17, 2011 12:37 PM PDT
    pisser Lucky. now dont ya be puttin my big head on no power ranger bloody suits mate..CHEERS BOOF
  • May 17, 2011 12:41 PM PDT
    As usual, the above is good advice. Have to agree, if YOU arn't comfy on that type of machine, DON'T test it. Per the above, have someone used to that type do it and explain to him why. Should be man enough to accept your reasoning if he respects your abilities.
    • 1516 posts
    May 17, 2011 3:13 PM PDT
    Lucky, you did not do that to my friend Randy.. lol ... hehehe.. lol.. that is just plain funny!! Luv u Randy!!
    • 2 posts
    May 18, 2011 2:26 AM PDT
    Seems like somebody is looking @ this a tad bassakwards,

Picking out a scooter in advance of being able to ride one. - We all dream & maybe a rice-rocket is the way to go but learn to ride before getting a mount.

Not sure about the course your stepson is planning on attending but @ the one I took they had several mounts available, including some sub rockets that required a semi scrunched over position.

Let him do his training one one of those & if he is still keen on a rocket then get into the test flight issue
    • 846 posts
    May 18, 2011 7:19 AM PDT
    If he wants you to ride it to get your opinion of the bike other then mechanically they you can just explain that everyone has different riding preferences (like cruisers vs. sport bikes). Your opinion of the bike may or may not fit his riding style or what he is looking for. How you fit on it will differ from how he fits on it. Comfort is another issue. For me I almost kill myself just getting on a sport bike. The last time I did I pulled something in my lower leg get my feet on the pegs.
    If it’s to evaluate the bike mechanically that a different story and I’m sure you can handle that.
    I had something similar a couple years back a friend and co-worker wanted to get into riding. Having done some dirt bike riding in his youth but not since then he always want a street bike. He asked me to go along with one function. To make sure he didn’t buy something that would kill him. Of course the first bike he looks at would kill just looking at it. My answer was start with something smaller (650-950 size) and get the hang of riding then decide if you want a sport bike or cruiser. He bought a Vstar and rode that for a few years. Now he rides a HD deluxe with no more thought of sport bike. The choice was his all along and I would only comment when asked or if I thought his safety was at stake.
    • 1780 posts
    May 18, 2011 8:59 AM PDT
    Randy a couple of years ago I flew out to Phonix to visit my crotch Rocket riding son. Well I rented a HD Fat Boy and we went for a ride. At one of our rest stops I said let's change bikes. Two miles later after a second gear wheel stand, which I was totally unprepaired for, I said give me my Fat Boy back.
    They look cool but not for the old Dragon.
    • 0 posts
    May 18, 2011 10:19 AM PDT
    nightdragon wrote...
    Randy a couple of years ago I flew out to Phonix to visit my crotch Rocket riding son. Well I rented a HD Fat Boy and we went for a ride. At one of our rest stops I said let's change bikes. Two miles later after a second gear wheel stand, which I was totally unprepaired for, I said give me my Fat Boy back.
    They look cool but not for the old Dragon.

Wheres ya bloody sense of adventure Dragon old mate? Wheel stands are the bikes way of making you feel alive LOL..CHEERS BOOF

• 33 posts
    May 18, 2011 12:38 PM PDT
    Having met and riden with Randy... I must say, this is an awesome look!
    When I first saw the picture, a Devo song imediately popped into my head.
    • 9 posts
    May 18, 2011 11:40 PM PDT
    OMG, BOOF, you are a bleedin' lunatic! And I never laughed so hard in my life!!! All this advice rocks. But I'm with the Dragon, you might experience something YOU ain't prepared for. And don't take this the wrong way, Randy, but at our age, "looking cool" means nothing. You got those Grandkids to think about. So tell the youngin', to 1). take the safety course, BEFORE HE BUYS! Hell, it might scare the bejeesus outta him, and he'll change his mind altogether. 2). Take the bike to a rice rider, and let them give it a once over. And 3). Most importantly, IF this kid really respects you and your opinions, he'll just do what you tell him. If he's too immature to understand why you're not comfortable, then he's to IMMATURE TO RIDE. Period.
  • May 19, 2011 8:56 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    Well my opinion is about the same as everyone else... you could probably ride it just fine, but if you're not comfortable... DON'T.

However, if you do decide to ride it.... I expect to see a picture of you on it with your vest, chaps and bandana! 

That is unless you were going to get a new outfit for the test ride...

Good one Lucky...EWWWWWWWeyyyyy!   Hmmmm...Wellll...looks kinda hot.....NOT! lol....You Rebel
    RandyJoe

• May 19, 2011 8:58 AM PDT
    debrajo62 wrote...
    Lucky, you did not do that to my friend Randy.. lol ... hehehe.. lol.. that is just plain funny!! Luv u Randy!!

Deb? thanks for the support...Ummmmm...Ya it was funny....That Lucky is a REBEL....LOL...

• 1780 posts
    May 19, 2011 9:25 AM PDT
    Randy You look like Jonny Rocket in that suit.......I think that is some crotch rocket dude...isn't it?????
  • May 19, 2011 9:57 AM PDT
    MadDogJim wrote...
    Having met and riden with Randy... I must say, this is an awesome look!
    When I first saw the picture, a Devo song imediately popped into my head.

Don't make me ride up there...lol...hows it goin bro...

• 6 posts
    June 1, 2011 9:26 AM PDT
    Yeah, sorry, but I don't see a rocket being a good starter bike. It just invites all kinds of accidents, due to not knowing what it can do, and due to the stupidity that seems to follow their purchase... before anyone gets all mad at me, understand that there CAN BE responsible riders who have crotch rockets, and I've even met one or two... but they are NOT the norm. If there's any way for him to learn on something less peppy, I'd make darn sure he does, then make him test ride it himself first. No point in you giving him your opinion at all if he can't handle the thing. Be SAFE, both of you!