I HAD ANOTHER IDEA AND YES IT DID HURT A LITTLE BIT....

• 0 posts
    May 11, 2011 10:37 AM PDT
    SITTIN HERE THIS MORNING AND THE SKY TRACKER HELICOPTER IS HOVERING OVER YET ANOTHER BLOODY CAR AND MOTORBIKE ACCIDENT. THIS MORNINGS ACCIDENT WAS FATAL.MY IDEA IS PRETTY BLOODY SIMPLE( LIKE YOU'D EXPECT ONE OF MINE TO BE COMPLICATED).ACKNOWLEDGE A MOTORBIKE RIDER DAY OR WEEK , I KNOW WE ALL RIDE HERE BUT WE ALL HAVE FRIENDS WHO DONT RIDE.mY IDEA IS TO PASS THIS ONTO OUR FRIENDS WHO DRIVE, A SIMPLE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT WHILE THIER DRIVING THAT THEY'VE ACTUALLY SEEN US, A NOD OR A WAVE IS ALL IT TAKES.YOU COULD GET THE KIDS INVOLVED AND TURN IT INTO A TYPE OF GAME WHERE THE LITTLE STINK MONKIES ACTUALLY TRY AND SPOT BIKERS..ON OUR BEHALF WE COULD PROLLY ACKNOWLEDGE THE DRIVERS BACK TO LET THEM KNOW WE ARENT ALL BIG MEAN BAD ARSES..AS YOU KNOW MARNI AND I BOTH RIDE EVERYDAY AND HAVE A SHITLOAD OF NEAR MISSES.SO A BIT OF PUBLICITY AND COOPERATION BETWEEN ALL OF US ROAD USERS MAYBE WE CAN SAVE SOME POOR BASTARD FROM GETTING SMASHED UP OR EVEN WORSE AND SAVE ALOT OF POOR BUGGERS ALOT OF GRIEF ..CHEERS BOOF
    • 19043 posts
    May 11, 2011 11:01 AM PDT
    Sounds good to me Boof.
  • May 11, 2011 12:26 PM PDT
    Lets call it "PUNCH BIKE " instead of Punch Bug. ( game my kids use to play )
  • May 11, 2011 12:27 PM PDT
    Emergency driving courses all say that you can take the space when you know that everyone else sees and acknowledges your intentions. " I SEE YOU SEE ME AND I KNOW YOU SAW ME. " Wave howdy.
  • May 11, 2011 1:47 PM PDT
    Sounds like a good idea to me also.
    • 1516 posts
    May 11, 2011 3:55 PM PDT
    I agree
    • 846 posts
    May 12, 2011 6:40 AM PDT
    Boof, that's a great idea. Simple is always the best way to address any issue.
    • 3006 posts
    May 12, 2011 7:52 AM PDT
    This is a great idea,and if it went worldwide that would be even better!!! I have often thought why not have a day to recognize bikers in general,just to increase peoples awareness of all riders on the road including bicycle riders..?
    I wonder what it would take to git everyone one on board ? in the meantime keep you n the lady shiny side up !!!
  • May 12, 2011 8:32 AM PDT
    Huge brakes, that's the answer. I slow way down when I don't get eye contact. I know they're not looking at me because they're ashamed in advance of what they're about to do. But making a conscious show of seeing riders can't hurt and might even make our society a little bit more civil.
  • May 12, 2011 10:40 AM PDT
    I ride tons of backroads and always look into oncoming vehicles, too bad they look right thru us. This is such a simple idea that it just might help. All thats left to do is spread the word. Get the kids playing Slug-A-Bike. I will put forth this idea on my other social media and really spred the word.

• 3006 posts
    October 14, 2013 4:37 AM PDT
    Any progress on this idea??!? if the riding community needed some good press its right about now.!!!
    I wonder what it would take to get everyone on board with it? any suggestions?? I was thinking sometime in early May or late April of this coming year.? and I am leaning towards motorcycle awareness week,guys who split lanes out here could nod n wave to a lot of cagers stuck in traffic..lol..as they ride bye, I always give folks a nod who make extra room for me as I am riding the line in heavy traffic!!!
    • 1 posts
    October 14, 2013 5:41 AM PDT
    I like it. How do we get the word to all drivers?
    • 2 posts
    October 14, 2013 6:41 AM PDT
    Game I play when traveling with the grandsons:
    SPOT THE CHICKS on MOTORCYCLES
    Rules are complicated: slim chicks on euro bikes are worth the most points, chicks on the throttle worth more points than passengers, etc.

Daughter in law gets a little pissy on the subject tho.
  • October 14, 2013 11:32 PM PDT
    99Savage wrote...
    Game I play when traveling with the grandsons:
    SPOT THE CHICKS on MOTORCYCLES
    Rules are complicated: slim chicks on euro bikes are worth the most points, chicks on the throttle worth more points than passengers, etc.

Daughter in law gets a little pissy on the subject tho.

I play that game too ... except I do it all the time whether they are on a bike, in a car, walking .... you get the picture

Seriously though, sounds like a great plan, except the ones who don't see us, still won't see us even if we wave. I already acknowledge drivers when they give way, wait for me to pass etc. I either give them a nod or a quick wave to thank them for allowing me the right of way. 

• October 15, 2013 12:08 AM PDT
    My son is currently deployed with the 10TH MOUNTAIN DIVISION so I have a face book page to keep in touch with him, it is much faster than snail mail. So I posted your idea for slug bike and hinted to all 8 of my granddaughters to get this thing going, four of them are teenagers so maybe the word will spread and even if the drivers don't see us, maybe the kiddos will and the rukus will alert the drivers, we can only hope.
    • 1855 posts
    October 15, 2013 1:08 AM PDT
    I have magnetic signs on my cages to warn drivers that motorcycles are everywhere. . I have a sign in my yard. We have May as motorcycle awareness month. Personally, ya can't fix stupid though.
    • 834 posts
    October 15, 2013 3:50 AM PDT
    Here in AZ ABATE gives out Watch for Motorcycles stickers at all of their events.

Maybe all state ABATEs need to do this.
    • 580 posts
    October 15, 2013 10:51 AM PDT
    Over here there are regular Think Bike! campaigns in the press and on TV. I have the stickers in my car as do my friends. Be good to see a campaign that focuses more on the driver acknowledging bikes. If we decide on the day/week then I'm sure we can all get the word out through our FB pages, forums etc.
    • 2 posts
    October 15, 2013 11:39 AM PDT
    Jimmyacorn wrote about 10 hours ago
    I have magnetic signs on my cages to warn drivers that motorcycles are everywhere. . I have a sign in my yard. We have May as motorcycle awareness month. Personally, ya can't fix stupid though.

I do that too but might as well be passing out pamphlets promoting colon health.

The people that don’t see motorcycles also don’t see bicycles (the tales I could tell), kids, pets or signs asking them to watch for motorcycles.

They best we can do is:
    • Make the next generation aware of everything. – Think we lost something we stopped being a hunting society – and –
    • Stay alert, as my son’s lacrosse coach used to say “head on a swivel”
    • 5420 posts
    October 15, 2013 12:12 PM PDT
    • Make the next generation aware of everything.

People in general are just not aware of what is going on around them, especially when driving. Of course I worry about it more when on the bike, but I have people cutting me off in my big white truck to!  Just to many damn distraction these days.  Not only cell phones, music players, etc, but even the hands free stuff.  I just saw a commercial for the new BMW that will read your email to you.  Granted you don't have to look at it, but you are still concentrating on something other than the road.

But none of this is going away and as a matter of fact there will just be more and more of these distractions.  The only thing we can do is keep telling people to Be Aware.  Even if one out of every ten we tell actually gets it, it is better than not spreading the message at all.
    • 3006 posts
    October 17, 2013 7:34 AM PDT
    chocmintz wrote...
    Over here there are regular Think Bike! campaigns in the press and on TV. I have the stickers in my car as do my friends. Be good to see a campaign that focuses more on the driver acknowledging bikes. If we decide on the day/week then I'm sure we can all get the word out through our FB pages, forums etc.

its certainly something thats easily do-able,with the internet to help.If we can find a mutual consenus east,west,north,south could come together and help raise motorcycle & rider awareness in general it would be making our mark here,we started it.If it even saved one life,then all is worth it in my opinion.

Even better if we can coordinate with our brethren overseas!!!

May would be a good month, yet  leaning towards a week as a time frame for it.?
    • 0 posts
    October 20, 2013 9:21 AM PDT
    WELL OVER HERE AT THE MOMENT EVERYONE IS LOOKING OUT FOR BIKERS.THE GOVERNMENT HAS ANNOUNCED $1000 BUCK REWARDS FOR DOBBING IN AN OUTLAW MOTORCYCLE GANG MEMBER..ITS NOT THE KIN OF ATTENTION WE REALLY WANTED BUT AT LEAST WE'RE BEING NOTICED IN TRAFFIC....CHEERS