Give up riding?

• 9 posts
    January 26, 2011 3:18 PM PST
    Just got word from my VA primary Care Phy. that the extream pain that started with what felt like a pinched nerve in my neck & now radiates through both sholders & down my left arm is caused by bone spurs on my spine & VA just wants me to start treating it with a neck brace...... CHIT!
    • 5420 posts
    January 26, 2011 3:42 PM PST
    Wow Don, Really sorry to hear that, and certainly wish you all the best. Is this something that can be repaired?
    • 9 posts
    January 26, 2011 3:49 PM PST
    Don't know yet, problem is I have only the VA for Medical & they are very slow & 20 years behind in treatment tech.
  • g
    January 26, 2011 7:35 PM PST
    ive not long started getting the same sort of pain on my sholder blade and down my neck ???
  • g
    January 26, 2011 7:36 PM PST
    hope alls well rock bottom.
    • 1780 posts
    January 26, 2011 10:57 PM PST
    Hey there buddy hang in there....all the best
    Dragon
  • January 26, 2011 11:31 PM PST
    I feel for ya dude. Just had an MRI for about the same in my rifht arm. They want me to try PT for a while, but doc says degenerative bone in spine, spurs starting, slight pressure on spinal cord. Man, when it rains it pours.
  • January 27, 2011 12:03 AM PST
    Hope it can be fixed RockBottom...
  • January 27, 2011 3:57 AM PST
    ood luck with that RockBottom hope they can do something with that webby
  • January 27, 2011 3:59 AM PST
    Left out the G dumb sh**
  • January 27, 2011 4:35 AM PST
    The VA has been teating me for arm, leg , & shoulder pain for a few years, their advise was to stop riding my bike. Like thats going to happen, my last ride will be when a biker buddy takes my ashes for a ride and turns them loose to the wind. 72 and still riding like I stole it
    • 1066 posts
    January 27, 2011 5:14 AM PST
    RockBottom, I'm feeling for you buddy. I'm losing use of my clutch hand. Just thinking about not riding, is a real bummer.
  • January 27, 2011 6:18 AM PST
    Sorry to hear that buddy, I hope everything works out for you and that you can continue to ride. Good Luck!!!
  • January 27, 2011 6:27 AM PST
    Hollywood wrote...
    RockBottom, I'm feeling for you buddy. I'm losing use of my clutch hand. Just thinking about not riding, is a real bummer.

My friend had his left hand crushed in a construction accident years ago and he had his bike converted over to a jockey shift tranny with a foot clutch, he is still able to shift but due to the injury he no longer could pull in on the clutch when it was on the bars. Just something for you to think about hollywood. I believe it was about 2500.00 for the conversion.
    • 9 posts
    January 27, 2011 8:03 AM PST
    The VA has been teating me for arm, leg , & shoulder pain for a few years, their advise was to stop riding my bike. Like thats going to happen, my last ride will be when a biker buddy takes my ashes for a ride and turns them loose to the wind. 72 and still riding like I stole it

Trust me, I didn't say I was giving up... Thats not my nature! But the pain & weekness interfears with having a good time. The VA has been trying to get me off the bike for several years.... Like thats gonna happen...LOL I am only 60 years old so I'm sure If I wait long enough ( theam of the VA) I will get right.... or die...LOL 

Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes.

Rock
    • 0 posts
    January 27, 2011 8:51 AM PST
    Next they will want to do surgery and it will help for a few years and then come back. Then they will say it is scar tissue from the first surgery and they need to go back in again. "oh, we didn't tell you this was a temporary fix, and we would have to go back in?"

Never ending...
    • 1066 posts
    January 27, 2011 3:10 PM PST
    wheels wrote...
    Hollywood wrote...

My friend had his left hand crushed in a construction accident years ago and he had his bike converted over to a jockey shift tranny with a foot clutch, he is still able to shift but due to the injury he no longer could pull in on the clutch when it was on the bars. Just something for you to think about hollywood. I believe it was about 2500.00 for the conversion.

Thanks for that suggestion Wheels, but the left leg is my good one, I need it to hold the bike up.  Aw hell maybe I need to just go with the
    jockey shift , and a PAIR of TRAINING WHEELS.

• 21 posts
    January 27, 2011 8:02 PM PST
    best of luck - hope it works out - maybe a shot of cortizone? (or a shot of whiskey?)
    • 3006 posts
    January 28, 2011 9:28 AM PST
    It must be going around !!!
    I just went to the doc 2 mo's ago for the same thing,was laid off back in sept from a temp job went to local public hospital,did the mri,now I am waiitng for next appt to see ortho surgeom,which I am not going to do till all else fails..yeah I can still ride just barely yet the pain gets so severe it takes away any pleasure from it..still I 'm riding since (w/price of gas going skyhigh) w/ some advils I am good to go.

Hope you recover enuff to git back riding w/pleasure again!!!
  • January 28, 2011 9:28 AM PST
    Hope you can find relief in some kind of treatment!
  • January 28, 2011 11:23 AM PST
    good luck, I don't know much about spurs but I do know that riding sooths the soul. I do have to say I am surprised that a spur would require a neck brace. Seems like they should go in and take the thing out and be done with it.
  • January 28, 2011 12:05 PM PST
    I wish you luck, and a hope you are able to ride soon!
    • 9 posts
    January 28, 2011 1:09 PM PST
    Wow! Is it our age, is it our lifestyle, or is it greedy dam docs??? All three. But I'm with Vulcanrider. I'll stop riding when they are throwing my ashes off the back of the Harley that leads the funeral procession. Til then, I'll do whatever it takes to keep this old girl in the wind. They want to put cadaver parts in my leg, bring 'em on. They want to put in rusty titanium, I don't care...as long as I can RIDE FREE!
    Tweek
  • January 28, 2011 2:27 PM PST
    Hang in there Rockbottom sometimes things work out. Hope you get to feeling right soon.
    • 580 posts
    January 28, 2011 8:33 PM PST
    Hang in there Rockbottom - I think we all agree that the last thing any of us wants to do is give up riding. I have a friend who has the cortisol injections and they work (for a while anyway until the next one is due). Perhaps it might be worth asking about that

Hugs (o: