Moving to Arizona.....Could use some advice maybe even a little

• 10 posts
    January 14, 2011 2:43 PM PST
    I'm packing up and moving from Minnesota to Arizona the first part of March. I'm heading for the Apache Junction area but I have nothing set in stone yet.  I'm looking for some info from anyone that might be from around that area.  I'm also looking for work and either a place to rent or even just a room to rent.  If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. 
    • 5420 posts
    January 14, 2011 4:44 PM PST
    Can't help you out with the job or a place (I'm in California), but I can tell you the area you are looking at is a great location. I like Phoenix and the surrounding areas. It can get a little hot to say the least, but you are right there in the center so you can be in some beautiful forest area in just a short ride, or you can head west and be over hear in California in just a few hours.

Good luck with the move!!!
  • January 14, 2011 4:44 PM PST
    First off congratulations! I lived in MN and ND for 24 years and then about 3 years ago decided to move back to Cali. I loved the people of MN and ND. All round, those are some biker friendly states. But when you move to a state where you can ride all year round life is just so much better. I LOVE it. I'm on my patio right now typing away on my computer watching my big screen TV. Tomorrow I've got a BBQ with the VNV MC planned, and then we are heading off to a COC meeting by the beach. I don't know much about Arizona except that most places don't get any snow (maybe you can find some in the mountains, like here in Cali, if you go looking for it). All I can say is enjoy riding all year round in Arizona! If you can make a living in MN you can make it in Arizona.
    • 10 posts
    January 14, 2011 4:58 PM PST
    Thanks guys I appreciate the encouraging words. I'm really looking forward to being able to ride more than 6 months out of the year.
  • January 14, 2011 5:15 PM PST
    I live the the south easter part of AZ. I don't get much north of Tucson except to take I10 to Sand Diego. But like Luck said, it is a good area and you can ride pretty uch year round here.

Hypno: I lived in ND for a while back in the late 80s on the border near a little town named Bowbells. Needless to say, liked the people, hated the weather.
  • January 14, 2011 7:30 PM PST
    You'll LOVE it. Great weather 10mo/year, stunning scenery (esp Apache Junction. I'm sure you've seen pics of Superstition Mountain)/ Lots of stuff to do. Tempe, w/ ASU nearby is an excellent hangout, as well as Scottsdale. Cave Creek is a nice putt and the Mongolian Rim is close enough.
    Az Bike Week is in April as well.
    The biggest negative for bike riders are the Snowbirds Oct-May.
  • January 14, 2011 11:51 PM PST
    I was born in Pheonix and spent some time in Apache Junction you WILL LOVE IT THERE!!!!!!!. there are some gr8 roads to ride there but the most important thing to remember is to have plenty of water on hand when your planning a ride (once you get moved and settled in that is). a two hr ride could easily turn into a 2 day ride with all the gr8 scenery there is out that way. the Superstition Mts is very mezmerizing and is very easy to get caught up in the beautiful scenery especially around sunset or sunrise. I would also recomend going to Bartlet Lake for some weekend fun Horseshoe Bend is also some gr8 fishing and floating. there is an old western town called Rawhide ( dont remember where it was at i was 10 the last time i was there lol) but they have oldtime staged gunfights out of the blue that will just scare the crap outa ya cause they arent announced and the first shot will make you duck for cover but its all good and alot of fun for the whole family. As far as work goes Pheonix is the place to go for that or even Glendale. I promise you will love it there i miss it alot and would love to move back there someday soon if i can talk the wifey into it
  • January 14, 2011 11:53 PM PST
    also if you love camping and outdoor stuff then you will be in a perfect place there is soooo much to do and if you love desert scenery you will love Arizona.
    • 9 posts
    January 15, 2011 6:41 AM PST
    How far will you be from Pueblo West? My dad sold land out there in the late 70's. He had a partner by the name of John Goins. If Goins is still in the area, he has a Sporting Goods store. I think it was called Goinplaces. If it's still there, mention Jim Moore, tell him you know his daughter, and she told you to check out the possibility of a job. Couldn't hurt to try. Best I can do for ya, but GOOD LUCK and Godspeed.
    Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 10 posts
    January 15, 2011 7:10 AM PST
    Thanks again everybody. I'm a little nervous not knowing anybody or having anything lined up but sometimes its good just to "wing-it". Tweek thanks much for the info. I will have to look up and see how far I will be from there. Thanks much everyone and I hope to check out all of the places you have mentioned. The first thing will be getting my bike. I am having it shipped from here to the Harley shop in Apache Junction. I'm going to be a nervous wreck waiting for that!!!